Why three clubs so close to each other?

I am disturbed by the fact that three poker clubs advertise in Scarborough. Why three all of the sudden? Why do they all have a fixation of the Fallsview $1000 entry? Why don't they all get together and play bigger games as one? Apparently none of them are in it for the money in the "middle", so why not ensure a good game every night and take your frustrations out on each other at the poker table.

from previous forum reviews, it is obvious that two of the three clubs are splinters from one. What is the issue with the club that they split from? As well why should I play at their club and not the other? are they even legal?

idea for clubs to prove you are not making money - maybe have a membership fee (like a real club), a board of directors (like a real club),let the members run the events (like a real club), register as a non-profit organization and actually give any profits to charity.

a club that charges every visit is not a club. Entry fee to tourney with entire entry fee returned yes! but charging extra for "club expenses", you are now a fictitious gaming business.

Comments

• In other news there are 3 Tim Hortons within 2k of each other. :D

#umad
  • Why ask why?

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Why ask why?

Because :D
  • As well why should I play at their club and not the other? are they even legal?

100% legit. How do I know?

43 division officers, the gaming control and others say so!
  • Muddguts wrote: »

100% - Well maybe not 100%, but as far as they told us, them seeing our club and explaining how we run it and so on, they told us that we are not breaking any laws and so on. we're just going by what they all told us. so be it as it may, according to them all we are OK as long as we continue to do as we are. So we continue on and hope players can enjoy the game here or anywhere.

That's all I can say at this point about it. Also, I'm not really interested in getting into this debate again and starting all the same old same old chats. So if anyone really has nothing better to do in life than complain, then happy trails and have as much fun as you can I guess.

Thanks.
  • I am disturbed by the fact that three poker clubs advertise in Scarborough. Why three all of the sudden? Why do they all have a fixation of the Fallsview $1000 entry? Why don't they all get together and play bigger games as one? Apparently none of them are in it for the money in the "middle", so why not ensure a good game every night and take your frustrations out on each other at the poker table.

from previous forum reviews, it is obvious that two of the three clubs are splinters from one. What is the issue with the club that they split from? As well why should I play at their club and not the other? are they even legal?

idea for clubs to prove you are not making money - maybe have a membership fee (like a real club), a board of directors (like a real club),let the members run the events (like a real club), register as a non-profit organization and actually give any profits to charity.

a club that charges every visit is not a club. Entry fee to tourney with entire entry fee returned yes! but charging extra for "club expenses", you are now a fictitious gaming business.
    Well as far as our club, we are working in with The Poker Place to offer a variety of different games on different nights and times, to give players as much choice as we can for a good game and friendly players, maybe check them and us out and see for yourself and then you can decide if it's OK for you or not.

We're just trying to have fun adn good games and good times.

Take care everyone.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    In other news there are 3 Tim Hortons within 2k of each other. :D

#umad

I find that disturbing as well.
  • Well as far as our club, we are working in with The Poker Place to offer a variety of different games on different nights and times, to give players as much choice as we can for a good game and friendly players, maybe check them and us out and see for yourself and then you can decide if it's OK for you or not.

We're just trying to have fun adn good games and good times.

Take care everyone.

continue to have good times and good games. It is strange that you would choose to pay three landlords rent, considering you are barely making ends meet now.

good luck with your "clubs".
  • register as a non-profit organization and actually give any profits to charity.

This is all I needed to hear to let me know you have no clue what you're talking about.
  • This is all I needed to hear to let me know you have no clue what you're talking about.

Actually you read it, you didn't hear it. Unless of course you can't read and had someone read it to you.

Unfortunately for your simple brain, I do know what I am talking about. As I ran a similar venue in Vancouver.
    I hope the competition the three have started works out. I do know that the authorities might let one slide in a certain area, but three
    no way! Especially how easy it is to find them.

Anyway, I am done here. Tried to get some answers and got sarcastic, defensive responses. Cheers, have fun at your clubs.
  • Fuck off Fed.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Fuck off Fed.

Well if the person is a "Fed", telling them to fuck off probably won't help matters.

I've been to all three.......Don't think there is much to worry about. However they may have thinned out the "talent pool" with their immature bickering and inability to face issues head on.
  • farmerchef wrote: »
    I've been to all three.......Don't think there is much to worry about. However they may have thinned out the "talent pool" with their immature bickering and inability to face issues head on.

Maybe you and ontiltconstantly carpooled because you're both logging in from the same IP.
  • Maybe you and ontiltconstantly carpooled because you're both logging in from the same IP.

I'm thinking a hammer needs to be swung!
  • Maybe you and ontiltconstantly carpooled because you're both logging in from the same IP.

Maybe, I have several people staying with me on and off this month, and two roommates. All of which play. I'll look into it.

thanks!

careful where you swing that hammer!
  • lol, think I'll let Bill deal with these yahoo's. Bye..
  • Proud day for Bill. :D
  • Dude must have some nice couches to have all those people staying with him
  • It's the hot bitches he gets....

Mark
  • Muddguts wrote: »

Had the police come into our club a few days ago. Their reasoning was they received a faults complaint that someone was selling alcohol at our place. After coming in and looking over the entire premise and realized that it was untrue they left.

I called 41 Division the next day to inquire about the legal aspect of our club. I explanied we are a private social club that play poker tournaments 4 days a week and how we operate. I was told that we are not breaking any laws under the criminal code.

I also called Toronto Control and received the following reply:

Municipal Licensing & Standards does not issue licenses for private or social clubs because there is no provision for them in Chapter 545 of the Municipal Code, which is the authority for issuing licenses.

Private or social clubs still must comply with the Public Health regulations (ie. sale of food, smoking etc.).

I then called Public Health and was told that we do not need a permit because we do not sell food or drinks.

That about sums it up. These private poker clubs playing tournaments are legal as long as the entire pot goes to the prize pool and everyone in the game has a equal chance of winning.
  • Had the police come into our club a few days ago. Their reasoning was they received a faults complaint that someone was selling alcohol at our place. After coming in and looking over the entire premise and realized that it was untrue they left.

I called 41 Division the next day to inquire about the legal aspect of our club. I explanied we are a private social club that play poker tournaments 4 days a week and how we operate. I was told that we are not breaking any laws under the criminal code.

I also called Toronto Control and received the following reply:

Municipal Licensing & Standards does not issue licenses for private or social clubs because there is no provision for them in Chapter 545 of the Municipal Code, which is the authority for issuing licenses.

Private or social clubs still must comply with the Public Health regulations (ie. sale of food, smoking etc.).

I then called Public Health and was told that we do not need a permit because we do not sell food or drinks.

That about sums it up. These private poker clubs playing tournaments are legal as long as the entire pot goes to the prize pool and everyone in the game has a equal chance of winning.

So if you invite jah you are screwed
  • These private poker clubs playing tournaments are legal as long as the entire pot goes to the prize pool and everyone in the game has a equal chance of winning.

I'm just going to say this. Do a search for Canada/Ontario, etc. poker laws on this site.

I think Dave Scharf wrote a post about it on here, that was partially quoted from a lawyer. This has been discussed many times on this site.

If you're talking about your specific situation and your relationship with local authorities that's one thing. The law is different. Locals may choose not to enforce by discretion.
  • 2 legit

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU