7 handed. SB AQ

96 player tournament. 14 players left. Blinds 2000/4000 ante 500. Average stack is 60k. I have 65k. Big blind has 60k. All fold to me in small. Big tells me he hasn't looked at his cards. That he will wait to see my action. I say ok. Lol. Big blind has shown ability to push in blind vs blind situations with some mediocre hands ( a couple hours earlier at different table). I'm fairly certain if I limp he would push. If I push he probably folds. Does my hand AQ have enough value to try to get his and my chips in the middle? Perhaps raise instead of limp or allin?

Comments

• You have 16 BBs and a premium hand with only one player behind you to act. The Blinds and Antes are $9500 pre-flop. Ship it all in and take the blinds and antes. If BB calls, then you have a better than average hand to take it down and almost double up.
    No point in getting tricky at this stage. Besides, BB may think you are trying to steal with a weak hand, you wouldn't shove with a strong hand.
  • I'm with DJ on this one, don't out trick yourself. If you were quite certain he would push if you limp, then by all means limp. However what if he just checks your limp with 73 and then you get a flop of Q,7,3? Karma can be a bitch, ship it.
  • If you are not going to get your chips in with a hand like this one, when will you be willing? You waiting to be dealt a set?
  • Milo wrote: »
    If you are not going to get your chips in with a hand like this one, when will you be willing? You waiting to be dealt a set?

It was not a will or not to get chips in or not. We were 6 hours into the tournament. My chips were in on several previous opportunity.

My real question is, is the hand strong enough to try to extract more of his chips? Essentially the hand is only ace high. If I get myself in a situation that we see a flop and miss. Then I may be pushing on a dry board and could be still in front. Is the reward of more chips then blinds and antes worth the risk?
  • I know what you are saying Jacen. You trick the guy by playing weak he pops all his chips in, you call and he hits his 7. I have been there! I agree with DJ, take it down pre flop all in. If he does have a hand and calls your chance of survival is very good.
  • It's painfully obvious what I should of done.
    As dj stated no point in getting tricky, but I opted to do so. I raised to 14000. He jammed. I called. my AQ vs Q9s. He flopped a flush draw. Turned it and another on the river for good measure! puke!
    As I said in the original post, I think he would of folded to me going all in preflop. Increasing my stack by 9500 should of been the line I should of been happy with.
    Easy to say after the fact. But me jamming would of likely took down the pot or if he calls i'm in a good race. Live and learn.
  • raising but not all in could have told him I don't have that good of a hand. Raising to 14000 might have told him I've left myself enough of my stack to get away from the hand if he jams. He was surprised I called, didn't expect me to. THe fist pump and out loud cheers of joy when he hit his flush was annoying. And he had to point out i'm drawing dead. All i could say was " Nice hand".
  • At the same time your AQo vs his Q9s is 69% so if it had stuck then you strategically got him to put his whole stack in.

And good for you saying nice hand. I have been known to suffer from poker induced turrets in these situations.