Charity Tournament

This is a 50/50 breast and prostate cancer charity tournament. As I understand it $50 goes into the prize pool, $15 for dinner and $35 to the charity. The goal is 100 players. If you're interested, contacts are listed below.

C&P of the Facebook post,

Hey... Who likes Poker? Check out this fabulous upcoming event!

First Poker Charity Classic
In Support of Wellspring London
Sunday November 10, 2013
2pm start
The Marconi Club
$100 each
Includes: Dinner, Prizes and much more!
Thanks to sponsors: Labatts, Poag's Jewlery, Rogers, Marconi Club and Tim Condon.

Please contact Ethel at 519-472-4384 or Dave at 519-318-9622 for information and or tickets. — with Ethel Tari.

Comments

• I'm amazed that those big name sponsors would get involved in an illegal event. Is this tournament ok'd by OLG?
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I'm amazed that those big name sponsors would get involved in an illegal event. Is this tournament ok'd by OLG?

no.
  • Im not sure on the details, Talk to Ethel or Dave re those issues, they seem to have their ducks in a row is all I know??

Have you talked to them WB? Or just assuming you know?
  • Nope, haven't talked to anyone. There's just no such thing as a legal charity poker game in Ontario. Like KWSteve said, the larger named sponsors you mentioned (i understand you're just passing on info), would never in a million years attach themselves to this formally (or legally).

That being said, I really hope they raise a ton of money for their charity.

It just continues to be sad that people can't get something like this together legally to raise money for such a worthwhile charity. There is no charity gaming license for Poker in Ontario.

It doesn't exist no matter what anyone tells you. The legislation is clear.

Anyhoo Racer, it's interesting information to read (although depressing). Do a search on here for 'poker legal Ontario'. That should bring up a bunch of threads you'll find very interesting.
  • Yeah, don't get me wrong. Not trying shit on your event. I think it should be legal to have charity poker tournaments.

Heck, it should be legal for anyone to run a raked poker game or tournament. Why not? In these depressed economic times people need new ways to make money. New industry is what is needed.

You know what they say: Conservative times are tough times.
  • A friend of mine raises money for this hospital and i am pretty sure they get a special one day licence.

Mount Sinai Hospital Foundation of Toronto
  • I think they have to apply for a lottery licence from the AGCO, then they're supposed to post the number in their advertisements.
    A friend of mine raises money for this hospital and i am pretty sure they get a special one day licence.
    Mount Sinai Hospital Foundation of Toronto
  • There is no such thing as a charity license for poker. It doesn't exist.

You can get a license for various other things like bingo, wheel of chance, etc.

Not poker.

I wrote up a lengthy post on here at one point citing the specific OLG and CC legislation, but don't have time to find it right now.

Ok, I found a minute before I leave for work. It wasn't as lengthy as I thought, but will require some reading:
    Sadly, the info can be found here:
    Criminal Code of Canada, R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 197
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a.../FullText.html

Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario,
    Types of Charitable Gaming Lottery Licences
    http://www.agco.on.ca/en/services/ty...table_CNO.aspx
  • So when the huge charitable organizations like Canadian Cancer Society want to run a poker tournament for fundraising, don't they still have to get approval from the AGCO Big Brother?
    Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario,
    Types of Charitable Gaming Lottery Licences
    http://www.agco.on.ca/en/services/ty...table_CNO.aspx
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    So when the huge charitable organizations like Canadian Cancer Society want to run a poker tournament for fundraising, don't they still have to get approval from the AGCO Big Brother?

ONTARIO needs to setup funding raising like we have in NB, Here, you can get a license to run a charity poker tournament and it's setup to prevent fraud. I believe up to %50 of the take can be returned in the form of prizes. Expensives come from the other %50 and you have to submit a list and only certain items are allowed. Ex you can't pay some one to run or pay rent. The people running the tournament have to be members of the charity.
    here's a like to one of the forms.
    https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/snb7001/e/1000/CSS-FOL-78-9630E.pdf
  • Unfortunately unlike Manitoba, Saskatchewan, NB, etc., Ontario has antiquated rules about poker games. The AGCO even goes after the poker tournaments in bars where there are no cash prizes! :rolleyes: Even with the long-planned modernization, the addition of poker events has not even been considered, i.e., charities will still not be able to apply for a "poker game" licence.

My guess is that just like with Cookie Lazarus and the huge charity tournaments in Quebec, a gaming lawyer in Ontario contacts the Attorney General and other authorities, who will NOT bother bringing the Cancer Society to court ala the US DOJ to test the grey gambling provisions of the Criminal Code.
    ONTARIO needs to setup funding raising like we have in NB