Comments

• You're wrong. He deserved to stay in prison for the rest of his life. Easy way out IMO
  • Doesn't that make him a further drain on society
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Doesn't that make him a further drain on society

Never underestimate society's willingness to drain resources for revenge.

Mark
  • I am ambivalent about his death. He was a monster. He was NEVER going to leave that prison while breathing anyway.

I forget who it was, but a Canadian politician once said that all prisoners sentenced to life with no possibility of parole should have a rope placed in their cells.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I forget who it was, but a Canadian politician once said that all prisoners sentenced to life with no possibility of parole should have a rope placed in their cells.

Must have been talking about non-Canadian prisoners as we don't have 'no possibility of parole' here. I'm sure you knew that though.

Personally, I'd think a rope placed in your cell would be kind of cruel if it's implying "you should kill yourself" (it couldn't imply otherwise). However I understand the sentiment. To some, you'd be doing society a favour (i.e. vengeance, cost saving). To others, you'd be offering the inmate a favour in that they wouldn't have to live in their box for the rest of their lives.

The above speaks in no way to what crime was committed, how horrific, cruel, brutal, mass, etc. Commenting merely on the treatment of persons incarcerated.
  • Never said I agreed with it, but it is an interesting thought for those who say that "life means life" in terms of sentencing is cruel and unusual punishment.

Besides . . . I have no issues with any person wanting to kill themselves. I disagree with them, but it is their life (or, in this case, death).
  • @OP: good riddance.

@putting a rope in their cell: now that's a little harsh. however, i don't see much wrong with just not having a "suicide watch".
  • moose wrote: »
    You're wrong. He deserved to stay in prison for the rest of his life. Easy way out IMO

I'm going to +1 Moose here. He kept those girls captive and in fear for a decade. Eventually the media would die down and this guy could have been living in a similar light.

It's the easy way out. He dodged his punishment. In 2 minutes he got to leave on his own terms, throwing society a big fu
  • So, is the goal now an eye for an eye? I don't think that is the standard in sentencing.