Animal Planet DISGUSTING Article on Canine Parvo Virus

Please see this article -- I encourage anyone that cares at all about animals to leave a comment on the page of this article stating the absurdity and disgusting nature of this article. If you have any questions about this disease then let me know:

How to Treat Parvo at Home: Animal Planet

Aaron McDonald, a former colleague of mine in California, and a great emergency veterinarian found this story. All of my veterinary (and non-veterinary) friends, please share this terrible misinformation on your timelines with your comments. I have taken the liberty of copying his comments below.

Copied from Aaron McDonald, DVM: This is a completely irresponsible article! I would expect more from an organization that claims to support animals and have their well being in mind. I am an ER veterinarian and treat Parvo virus daily.

Here is what this article should have said:

The only way to treat this terrible virus is under the guidance of a competent veterinarian. Hospitalization (inpatient treatment) until clinical signs, specifically vomiting and anorexia, have resolved is always best. Inpatient treatment can take several days and does have significant cost associated with it.

At home treatment (outpatient) can be attempted for those that can not afford hospitalization. However, daily follow-up with a veterinarian is needed until clinical signs have resolved. These follow-ups will allow for injections of antibiotics (preferably not cefazolin....I don't know where they got that information), antiemetics (anti-vomiting medication), and fluids (either subcutaneous/under the skin or intravenous.)

It should be noted that the success of outpatient treatment depends on how early the patient is seen in the course of the disease. I have seen many parvo puppies that are nearly comatose and severely dehydrated because the owner waited 3 days to come to a veterinarian once clinical signs began. Unfortunately, if the owner can not pursue hospitalization for these pups the best course of action is euthanasia as the pups will continue to suffer and die a painful death even with outpatient treatment.

The odds of survival are always better with hospitalization, though survival is not guaranteed. Many dogs get clinically worse before they get better even with the best treatment. This may be due to their white blood cells being destroyed, severe destruction of the lining of the intestines, sepsis, complex inflammation in many organs throughout the body, or the type of Parvo virus. Recent research has shown many different types/strains of Parvo virus exist and that some are more aggressive than others. The testing for the strain of virus is very expensive, specialized, and not accessible to mostly all veterinarians. I have seen some amazing turnarounds for many very sick Parvo puppies when hospitalized. I have also seen a few hospitalized for more than a week only to die or be euthanized. This is a very complicated disease. Therefore, treatment can not be and should not be summarized in a small article like the one above.

Responsible pet ownership and preventative care is extremely important in the prevention and control of this disease and many others. Following up for regular vaccinations and appointments with your veterinarian, Do not let your pups walk on the street or go to dog parks until they have ALL their vaccinations (DHLPP vaccination at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age, as well as Rabies vaccination at 16 weeks of age) and, ideally, not until they are 6 months of age. A few $10 dollar vaccines may prevent Parvo virus. Please find other vaccinated dogs and puppies for your pup to socialize within controlled environments. Remember that owning a pet is a responsibility. They need more than just food and water. Just like children and adults they need proper preventative care and early intervention when illness is recognized at home. Unfortunately, care for your pet does cost money. Be prepared for it.

To answer some questions about veterinary salaries and debt load:

My salary is a fraction of my friend who is an MD emergency doctor, even though we work just as hard. I work 14-16 hours shifts overnight and some day shifts that are almost 20 hours long. My student loans are exorbitant. I'll be paying $1700/month, that's right per month, for the next 20 years. Not to mention that veterinary schools keep increasing their class sizes and pumping out more and more DVMs with little to no job availability. This is driving our salaries down and preventing repayment of our loans.

I chose this profession because I love animals and I love medicine. If money was all I cared about I would have stayed in my past career as a biotechnology salesperson. It is always tough when clients put the blame on me and say all I care about is money. I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt because they are upset about their sick pet. However, as an adult and pet owner you need to take responsibility. This includes financial responsibility. We veterinarians are here to help you but you have to be willing and prepared to help your pet as well.

Please also bare in mind that on the whole veterinary hospitals are not an extremely profitable businesses. Services given away for free can cripple a hospital's ability to provide great care or stay afloat financially. If you are looking for free care then you need to find a nonprofit that may be able to provide it; but, remember free or cut-rate prices often equal subpar care.