Whole house surge protection

Just tossing this out there. I know we have some resident pro electricians on here, and some smarter than me home owners who'd already have this installed.

About a week ago, we had a serious lightning storm around here. Woke up the next day to find my new Denon amp appears to have blown the HDMI module. Apparently almost every brand AVR sporting HDMI has problems as these are very delicate little princesses. Also may have blown up my PS3, but I really don't care about that right now.

Anyhoo, while I'm trying to get in touch with Denon directly to discuss this I've been considering adding whole house surge protection. My understanding is that surge protectors and bars at the outlet level are pretty much useless without this no matter how much money you spend. I spent close to $100 on mine and it still thinks it's protecting my stuff as it proudly displays it little green light.

Any thoughts/opinions on features, brands, costs (just roughly) to have this installed?

While I love DIY projects, there's no way in hell I'm touching anything in a breaker box except a breaker.

Comments

• Or you could just unplug stuff like that if the heavy weather is on it's way . . .
  • Happened in the middle of the night. I don't really ever sleep much, but my semi comatose state doesn't seem to get disturbed by much of anything. As well, around here storms from the lake show up with very little notice. I want something that's doing it's job when I'm not at home as well.
  • I want something that's doing it's job when I'm not at home as well.

I thought you is married
  • Hire an electrian to install one at the panel. Covers the whole house. I don't have a name brand to speak of but I will get back to you.
  • RAM_Eh wrote: »
    Hire an electrian to install one at the panel. Covers the whole house. I don't have a name brand to speak of but I will get back to you.

Thank you Sir. I guess it will depend on availability, but I'm willing to travel to pick up whatever materials are required.
  • The stuff we build for the rigs has higher end surge protection to protect the electronics as its all on generated power, with spikes and such. Look into trip lite and there is even a seperate component for AVR.

Shop super is on holidays, but I can ask a sparky for you. To protect the entire house would be like 5k prob and a nuisance. There is such a device, we are getting close to having to use it with all the circuits we are protecting but haven't gone there yet due to cost/size and I would have to say we are at higher risk, so doubting it would be practical for lightning.

I guess I'm speaking a line conditioner & not just protection too
  • My knowledge of surge protection, brownouts and lightning protection, albeit a little dated is the following...

Protection from direct lightning damage would be very expensive as lightening can jump gaps and is very difficult to stop... Anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something..

Protection from voltage surges is the cheapest and easiest option and is likely what your whole home protection is giving you. This would be short duration spikes or surges on your incoming hydro line likely caused by failure in the regulation circuitry somewhere upstream. This would have many root causes.

Protection from brownouts or power sags (lowering of the incoming voltage) can also be quite expensive from a whole house perspective because it requires either a battery with enough reserve power to power your house or a generator with enough output to power your house. Either is not practical in most instances. Better to just protect sensitive electronics with uninterruptible power supplies individually.. This sort of issue is mostly seen in areas of rapid growth (ie Milton) or areas of heavy industry.
  • jontm wrote: »
    The stuff we build for the rigs has higher end surge protection to protect the electronics as its all on generated power, with spikes and such. Look into trip lite and there is even a seperate component for AVR.

Shop super is on holidays, but I can ask a sparky for you. To protect the entire house would be like 5k prob and a nuisance. There is such a device, we are getting close to having to use it with all the circuits we are protecting but haven't gone there yet due to cost/size and I would have to say we are at higher risk, so doubting it would be practical for lightning.

I guess I'm speaking a line conditioner & not just protection too

Ok so me being a master electrician accept my word there is a device that is made for your home specifically for lighting strikes/power surges. Pretty sure it's around $ 200. I'll call the wholesaler on Tuesday and let you know.
  • Thank you Sir. I guess it will depend on availability, but I'm willing to travel to pick up whatever materials are required.

Where are you?
  • Kincardine, ON. Holy crap last night we had a thunder storm that had me jumping out of bed! Whole house was shaking.

Yep Ram, from what I've been looking at around the net they seem to range from $30 to around $800, installed as you said at the panel. I just have no idea what's a good product.
    Ok so me being a master electrician accept my word there is a device that is made for your home specifically for lighting strikes/power surges. Pretty sure it's around $ 200. I'll call the wholesaler on Tuesday and let you know.

I am. That's why I added the part about me talking about conditioning as opposed to surge. I'm assuming this device trips to protect?

Why didn't you quote Comp and shit on him?
    I am. That's why I added the part about me talking about conditioning as opposed to surge. I'm assuming this device trips to protect?

Just my .02 but I don't think that's what he meant/was doing Jon. The interweb is way too interpretive and has spawned far too many misunderstandings.

Anyhoo, I can't understand why these things aren't more popular/well known in homes considering that the average home has several thousand dollars worth of electronic gear with wee little microprocessors and boards that are so delicate and subject to damage from minor surges and brown outs. Especially in ON where every August we seem to have these apocalyptic freaking storms.

I'm sure that every reg on this forum has over $1k minimum worth of PC sitting in front of them and I doubt one of us has one of these systems. That's what I don't get. Do they suck and nobody wants them or do they work and nobody knows about them? Or both?
  • Meh . . . I had lightning strike about 3 feet from our house several years back. All it fried was our $100.00 surge protector, and a USB port on our aging desktop. The laptop I use for everything was less than $500.00 three years ago, so maybe it's just that replacement is easier than protection.
  • I'm not a semi-pro electrician, but the Belkin multi-outlet surge protectors I bought from Dell for < $10 have always protected my critical poker systems and all other electronics. When a big thunderstorm was approaching, my better half got scared and asked me to turn off my computer but I was in the middle of a grinding session. When the lightning unexpectedly struck our condo block at the moment she was closing a window, she felt the surge of electricity :o and our unprotected answering machine got fried. A neighbour got electrocuted and there were emergency vehicles outside our home, but all our surge-protected electronics were unaffected and I was able to keep playing poker! >:D I still use the same < $10 protectors.

Now if I can just figure out how to change the lightbulb... :fish:
    I'm sure that every reg on this forum has over $1k minimum worth of PC sitting in front of them and I doubt one of us has one of these systems. That's what I don't get. Do they suck and nobody wants them or do they work and nobody knows about them? Or both?

didn't mean to offend...just not sure people know I know what I'm talking about, or know I'm qualified.
  • Hubble makes one for the panel and needs to be mounted at the panel. HBL3w50 if you need to Google it for a description.
    didn't mean to offend...just not sure people know I know what I'm talking about, or know I'm qualified.

Didn't mean to offend?

You won't fit in around here.
  • These expensive surge bars that either did nothing or blew up themselves, were they UPS systems or just bars with breakers and extra dohickies in them?

I have an APC UPS and it was attached to a desk top for years and had no issues with it. Power would go and the computer would keep on trucking until the battery ran out or I shut it down.

just lost a DVD recorder this way so interested in seeing if this system is enough.

cheers and good luck with your chips and power dips.
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    These expensive surge bars that either did nothing or blew up themselves, were they UPS systems or just bars with breakers and extra dohickies in them?

I have an APC UPS and it was attached to a desk top for years and had no issues with it. Power would go and the computer would keep on trucking until the battery ran out or I shut it down.

just lost a DVD recorder this way so interested in seeing if this system is enough.

cheers and good luck with your chips and power dips.

Just the bars with the breaker. My understanding is that even though surge suppressors often come with a warranty for damaged equipment that is hooked up to them, it's rarely honoured.

Yep, I've surfed the net quite a bit about this and have found loads of people use UPS with surge suppression on home theater systems. I always thought they were just used on computers.

I haven't had much of a chance to do anything about this other than go through troubleshooting with Denon tech support. Guy had me do everything I've already done, then said it has to go in for service. Boo.