Omaha noob

At our last league game we played CHOP. I've played some Omaha before but very little. I think I have an ok idea of what a good starting hand is as well as a raising starting hand.

I suppose this could also go in MTT cause I also have a Q about play in terms of the tournament overall.

20 runners, 9 left, 9k starting stack, I'm at 23k UTG+1, Villain has just under 15k, 800/1600 and blinds go up to 1k/2k next hand after the break.

I get AsKsAh6h. UTG raises to 4k, I pot it. All folds to the raiser who thinks aloud for a while, ends up asking "huge stack if I win, 5BB if I fold". He says "Ok lets grow some balls" and calls it. He flips A689 rainbow, I think two of them may have been suited.

My question: With UTG raising with only 10k behind, should I have raised or just called? PLO is a bit of a unpredictable beast with lots of ways to get beat. But with what I think is a premium starting hand, I feel I should be raising. Is this even as good of a hand as I think it is? Villain has been raising a lot the last several hands being short stacked. He went from 7k to 15k in about the last 2 orbits or so with aggressive play.

Comments

• At our last league game we played CHOP. I've played some Omaha before but very little. I think I have an ok idea of what a good starting hand is as well as a raising starting hand.

I suppose this could also go in MTT cause I also have a Q about play in terms of the tournament overall.

20 runners, 9 left, 9k starting stack, I'm at 23k UTG+1, Villain has just under 15k, 800/1600 and blinds go up to 1k/2k next hand after the break.

I get AsKsAh6h. UTG raises to 4k, I pot it. All folds to the raiser who thinks aloud for a while, ends up asking "huge stack if I win, 5BB if I fold". He says "Ok lets grow some balls" and calls it. He flips A689 rainbow, I think two of them may have been suited.

My question: With UTG raising with only 10k behind, should I have raised or just called? PLO is a bit of a unpredictable beast with lots of ways to get beat. But with what I think is a premium starting hand, I feel I should be raising. Is this even as good of a hand as I think it is? Villain has been raising a lot the last several hands being short stacked. He went from 7k to 15k in about the last 2 orbits or so with aggressive play.

With 14 BB's, your only move is pot.....not even close. If he has an A in his hand, you are about as big a favourite as you can be pre in PLO (just about as good as pair vs underpair in NLHE).....you may be flipping against 9TJQds type of hands....but usually you'll be in great shape.

AA hands can be tough to play post flop when deeper....but this short in BB's, it's a no brainer. It sucks when they catch, but you can't be results oriented.....just smash your mouse imo, and maybe berate villain.
  • Agreed with T8.

You have a very good starting hand, but not a "premium". All four cards work together in some fashion, so that's a plus. To get a decent idea of the starting hands, you can refer to this.Omaha

Mark
  • Thanks for the input. One thing I forgot to mention is that we were 9 left but still at 2 tables, our table was down to 4 players.

Yeah I was pretty sure my hand was good, and worthy of the PFR. It's no AAKK double suited, and if the 6h was a 10h or higher then it may have bumped it up to "premium".

I was def not trying to be results oriented, and even though I lost the hand (V hit a straight) I felt I made the right play and was alright with losing despite hitting a flush draw on the flop, then a straight draw on the turn.

So if we were both deeper stacked, would you still raise the pot or just call?

• So if we were both deeper stacked, would you still raise the pot or just call?

You can do either imo.

I tend to raise and 3-bet a tonne in PLO (my online PT4 #'s would read something like PFR 40, 3-bet 30)....so I can disguise AA easily.

Tighter players will not have that luxury, and will be playing their hand face up if 3-betting, so just be aware of your table image....and capitalize on it.
  • The key is to act last after the flop, so 4 handed, not only are you utg+1 but also the button and one bustout to FT I assume. So in this case I probably call.

But full table I repot all day long to ensure I act last and heads up if possible.