Tastiest box hamburgers?

So many boxes of burgers in the grocery stores to choose from. Looking for recommendations of the beef variety.

Comments

• As long as you get the "premium" types you'll be fine. The 100% sirloins, etc. The store brands are all basically the same. It's technically meat but, well . . .
  • Milo is right. You get what you pay for.

Although, what's wrong with buy a few pounds of ground beef, mixing in some spices, flattening out a few patties and then grilling them? You can get the beef fairly cheap from a butcher or farmers market too.

Just my .02c
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Milo is right. You get what you pay for.

Although, what's wrong with buy a few pounds of ground beef, mixing in some spices, flattening out a few patties and then grilling them? You can get the beef fairly cheap from a butcher or farmers market too.

Just my .02c

I like this option just remember to get regular ground beef not lean or extra lean they dry out
  • I like this option just remember to get regular ground beef not lean or extra lean they dry out

You can easily cook with lean and x-lean, just sear the meat on high for a few moments, flip the burger to sear on the other side then turn the grill down to low-mid or move the patties to a spot of indirect heat. This locks in the fatty juices to make it num-nums.

Another option: make the patties from equal parts ground pork and beef. Pork is much cheaper in price and will add a ton of flavour. Yes, it's way unhealthier, but who cares, it's BBQ season.
  • Not a huge fan of those giant burgers you get 8 or 6 to a box. For a basic burger these are the best.

COWBOY BURGERS
  • Moose's suggestion is a good choice, but I for one rather like the gaint 6 8oz store brand, particularily the prime rib or sirlion ones.

May not be real meat, but still damn good.
  • No matter how premium those box burgers always seem to have a chewy texture to me. I like the pork idea, and not sure about the ground pork, but most pork is actually much lower in fat than beef (but it's a freaking burger so who cares...lol).
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    what's wrong with buy a few pounds of ground beef, mixing in some spices, flattening out a few patties and then grilling them?

That's been my method for years. Sometimes though I just grab a box for bbq outings at the park.
    This is my current love of my life

http://www.clubhouse.ca/en/products/detail.aspx?Spicy_Pepper_Medley&id=bcf877ff-4500-45f6-a26f-de35725210bd
  • moose wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of those giant burgers you get 8 or 6 to a box. For a basic burger these are the best.

COWBOY BURGERS

Ugh . . . no thank you. Overpriced for what you get. Definitely falls into the "technically" meat category.
    STR82ACE wrote: »
    Moose's suggestion is a good choice.

Shilling for Scouts Canada? I'll let it go . . .

And plus one for the 50/50 mix of beef and pork. Buddy of mine does them up with Blue Cheese in the middle. not a fan myself, but the Missus loves them.
  • Not even remotely healthy for you, but I swear M&M tasty burgers are the bees knees. But, I have a sentimental attachment to them. They are exact replicas of the burgers at the Ft. Erie racetrack which I always used to get. But, I'm not kidding they are delicious.
  • As far as med, lean or x lean the fat content difference is quite minimal, maybe 8-10%. I'm a fan of one pound of ground beef sirloin equal amount ground pork. If cooked right makes a juicy burger, add Lipton onion recipe mix and either ketchup/bbq sauce or both approximately 1/4 cup. Enjoy with a beer!