$330 bounty hand

$330 bounty tournament at Deerfoot today. Bounties are $100.

$10k starting and blinds are 100/200. My starting table seems strangely strong. We've played together for an hour but haven't seen many hands because our dealer is terrible.

Button: A middle aged guy who flew in from Vancouver. Seems like he plays for a living. Just got sucked out on for a big pot the hand before and he's down to 1700 or so. Seems like a solid TAG.

SB: Young-ish guy. Plays somewhat LAG-ish and seems solid too. He's up to 13-14k or so.

BB: Me. Probably have a fairly tight image at this point. More or less blinded down to 7.5k.

It folds around to button who ships. SB thinks for a second and re-ships. What should my calling range be against two decent players? I'm assuming button is pretty wide and SB's is wider than in a normal tournament because of the fairly large bounty. Not sure what I should be calling off with. Someone better than me please tell me.

Comments

• TT+ AJs+ would be my calling range.

Your analysis of the button and small blind is exactly what I would be thinking.
  • How's the cash action at Deerfoot? I may be heading down tomorrow.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    How's the cash action at Deerfoot? I may be heading down tomorrow.
    Wasn't the greatest. 3 1/2, 1 2/5 and 1 5/10.

Not sure if that's better than usual. This was my first time playing here in like 5 or 6 years.
  • I was thinking 99+ and AT+ but I'm not sure if that's too loose. Out of curiosity, you say AJs+. Does that mean you're folding AJo?
  • LAG wants to isolate short stack for his $100 bounty and I would put his bounty jamming range to be at least as wide as [44+ A4s+ A8o+ KTs+ KQo QJs]. I would call with ~[77+ AJs+ AJo+].
    I was thinking 99+ and AT+ but I'm not sure if that's too loose. Out of curiosity, you say AJs+. Does that mean you're folding AJo?
  • I was thinking 99+ and AT+ but I'm not sure if that's too loose. Out of curiosity, you say AJs+. Does that mean you're folding AJo?

After I typed it, I I realized that I am not folding AJos.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    LAG wants to isolate short stack for his $100 bounty and I would put his bounty jamming range to be at least as wide as [44+ A4s+ A8o+ KTs+ KQo QJs]. I would call with ~[77+ AJs+ AJo+].

If you're the SB, is anyone iso-ing wider than this? I was initially thinking I would do it with as weak as 67 suited for a chance at the $100 bounty since dipping to 12k from 14k isn't that big of a deal.
  • If you're the SB, is anyone iso-ing wider than this? I was initially thinking I would do it with as weak as 67 suited for a chance at the $100 bounty since dipping to 12k from 14k isn't that big of a deal.

Depends on what I think of the BB and what my image is at the time, but in some cases I think a much wider isolation is correct.
  • My image was probably fairly tight. In addition to registering late, our dealer was terrible so even though it was early third level (about 1 hour and 10 minutes into the tournament), we'd played maybe twenty hands. I'd played the couple of hands that I did pretty passive as they were small pairs and I was just set-mining.

So yeah, AT was probably the very bottom of my range and I ended up calling off with it. I did not win the hand.
  • Some "bounty hunters" widen their range too much even though the total prize pool is much bigger than one bounty. What did the puck & SB have?
    So yeah, AT was probably the very bottom of my range and I ended up calling off with it.
  • SB had AJ. Can't remember what the button had but he was drawing pretty much dead on the JTx flop.
  • General thought, but isn't a click back/fold here better than an iso shove if you're the sb? I think BF range is around what I would iso with in this spot (maybe a bit tighter)
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I would call with ~[77+ AJs+ AJo+].

This was my exactly my range, but add ATo
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    General thought, but isn't a click back/fold here better than an iso shove if you're the sb? I think BF range is around what I would iso with in this spot (maybe a bit tighter)

Button ships for 1700. BB min-raises to 3200. I ship for 7500.

You'd be calling 4500 for a pot of 8100, a chance to pick up two bounties and still have like 30bb if you lost. I don't think you could ever fold there, could you?
  • With AJ in the SB, I would have 3-bet all-in too. With AT in the BB needing ~44% pot odds/equity & my $100 bounty on the line, I would fold AT & take note of SB's all-in range.
    You'd be calling 4500 for a pot of 8100, a chance to pick up two bounties and still have like 30bb if you lost. I don't think you could ever fold there, could you?
  • Button ships for 1700. BB min-raises to 3200. I ship for 7500.

No
  • This bounty strategy thread has me itching for my first live bounty tourney in years. Anybody else going to Tuesday's Brantford Bounty tourney with 12.5% rake? The last time I played live, I ended up with ten bounty chips!

I love bounty tourneys, but Party is the only room in the world that I know of that a short stack can win the bounty of a bigger stack. :bs: For example, if 3 players are all-in, you with a million chips have a better hand than the mid stack so you bust him & win the side pot, micro stack with one chip has the best hand so he wins 3 chips, but instead of giving the bounty to you since you have mid-stack covered, Party gives the bounty to Mr. One Chip even though it is impossible for him to bust anybody. :rolleyes:
  • AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK is about it when I am third into an 'all in' so early in the tournament. Against "decent" players? With 37.5 BB why do you need to commit your stack? You are only getting 2.2 to 1 on your money.