Brantford $180 Freezeout

Waltsfriend has inspired me with the fabulous TR and I have a short workday. Thinking of playing this one.

Anybody else going?

Comments

• It's great that forumers are inspiring each other to take shots at these decent local tournaments with zero withholdings. I was thinking of going and there were only 12 seats left when I phoned, but was too sleepy when I got home to drive out again so I just ate dinner and watched The Life of Pi on Blu-Ray.

To those who went to Brantford, was it yet another sell-out? The next good tournament is at Georgian Downs on Thursday with only 4% rake, but it is the only poker room that does not sell out, unlike Rama, Mohawk & Brantford.
    Card Dead wrote: »
    Waltsfriend has inspired me with the fabulous TR and I have a short workday. Thinking of playing this one.
    Anybody else going?
  • Yeah, it sold out. There were 4 seats left at 6pm but they were all gone by 6:45.

I bought my ticket at 4pm with my winnings from playing 10/20 while I was waiting, so free tourney!
  • So anyways, here's my TR.

FYI, the structure was 10,000 starting stack, 20 min blinds, blinds start at 25/50, 40 runners, 4 places paid.

First - $2250, Second - $1700, Third - $1350, Fourth - $900.

I start at what appears to be a good table, 2 very weak players, 2 LAGs, 2 TAGS, and 3 nits. No real rocks as far as I can tell. First 4 levels were uneventful for me, not many playable hands and LOTS of raised pots so folding became almost automatic. I finally picked up KK UTG and my 3x raise got 2 callers, then 2 folds to my 1/2 pot bet on a dry flop. I was just under starting stack at 1st break.

Next 4 levels were basically the same, just had to grind it out, but was gleaning great info from watching the other hands. I won 3 or 4 pots with little resistance as I had definitely established my table image as super-tight and always got credit for having a hand. I had about $13k and was just under average stack at 2nd break.

After second break players started to bust out more quickly, and stacks started to grow. I started to open my game up a bit, and was able to keep up with the growing average stack size through a series of small pots and made the final table with about $35k when average stack waS $40K.

Final table had the usual mix of 2 big stacks, 3 small stacks, and 5 medium stacks. Most players were TAGs, except for the one LAG from my original table who was hitting absolutley everything. Fewer players to the flop and heavier betting in general. I grew my stack to about $50k without showing down a hand, then it got interesting.

We lost one of the short stacks almost immediately and were at 9 players. At the $600/$1200 level I looked down at AKdd in MP. It folded around and I made it $3200. It folds to the BB, who had no played many hands but was getting blinded off and had about $35k. He tanks, then shoves. I figure he has TT or better, but not AA or KK, as he would of snapped it. So I call and his 55 holds up - down to 10 bigs.

Same orbit, blinds come around, I'm now the SB with $8500 and it folds around to me, so I shove with A2hh. BB is the LAG from earlier and declares that hes priced in with any 2 cards as he's getting almost 2-1 odds (he has to call $7700 into a pot of $12k). :D So he calls with J5 off and I double up. I was able to steal a couple more pots with well-timed shoves and was at $28k when I got QQ on the button. UTG goes all-in for $22k, I call and he has AT - no miracle ace so I'm at about $50k now with 8 players.

Then the crazy hand hits. 3 way all-in with TT, QQ, AA. Big stack has the TT and hits the ten on the turn and takes out 2 players, so we're at 6. Tight short stack goes out in 6th and the 5 of us decide to kick $50 each to the bubble, so that technically put me in the money i guess. A few hands later the short stack busts out, so we're at 4. Me and the 55 guy are the short stacks and the other 2 guys are huge. A few hands in the 55 guy shoves and I have KK on the button. The player to my right tanks (I'm praying he calls) and then folds. I call, he has 77, and the board runs Q J 6 3 K rainbow. Tank guy declared he had AT.

So we're at 3 players and i'm still the SS - around $80k. I open up my game and get a couple of bluffs picked off, and had to make a tough laydown. Down to $45k and all but toast..... until, the 2 big stacks get into a pissing match and go crazy stupid on a J-high flop and both go all-in. AJ vs JT, and the AJ has the JT covered by a small margin and somehow I've backed into 2nd place.

Now it's head-up and I have 10% of the chips in play. So I'm happy with second place. First hand in, he folds in the SB. I know, WTF right? Says he didn't want to double me up. Second hand in I have 56cc in the SB, so I shove and he calls with AThh and I flop a 5 and double up. Couple hands later he limps in SB and I check my K8os. Board comes KKT. I check-call the flop and turn,which are both bricks, then shove the river and he calls with A5. Now we're even. He then shuts it down and either folds or shoves preflop on every hand. About 10 hands later we decide to chop the cash and play the next hand winner-take-all.

So I officially bink the thing and cash just under $2k.

Thanks Sandy!
  • Card Dead wrote: »

So I officially bink the thing and cash just under $2k.

Thanks Sandy!

You're welcome.

Good TR.
  • Well done nice tr thanks for sharing
  • Congrats and well done
  • Nice job! Good TR.
  • Excellent
  • Congrats. I thought everybody had retired from live tournaments, but now at least four different forumers who decided to take a shot in the past month have won first place! :wav:
    First - $2250, Second - $1700, Third - $1350, Fourth - $900.
    I just watched Spider-Man on Blu-Ray, and believe it or not, my Spidey senses are tingling again! That payout of 36.29%, 27.41%, 21.77%, 14.52% cannot be right. It is supposed to be:
    1 - 37% - $2,294
    2 - 27% - $1,674
    3 - 22% - $1,364
    4 - 14% - $868
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    That payout of 36.29%, 27.41%, 21.77%, 14.52% cannot be right. It is supposed to be:
    1 - 37% - $2,294
    2 - 27% - $1,674
    3 - 22% - $1,364
    4 - 14% - $868

I think you need an ssri;)
  • Congrats! A good day for forumers yesterday...now if you could just get them to allow more than 4 tables for a tournament?
  • It's just an evening tourney and they are trying to end it at a reasonable hour and leave room for cash games.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I think you need an ssri;)
    I prefer antipsychotics, but I'm still waiting to hear voices from our latest gambling researcher with pseudologia fantastica.
    Messages that are left at the telephone number are checked once a day.
    Once you've contacted me, a link to the online survey will be sent to your email address.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Congrats. I thought everybody had retired from live tournaments, but now at least four different forumers who decided to take a shot in the past month have won first place! :wav:
    I just watched Spider-Man on Blu-Ray, and believe it or not, my Spidey senses are tingling again! That payout of 36.29%, 27.41%, 21.77%, 14.52% cannot be right. It is supposed to be:
    1 - 37% - $2,294
    2 - 27% - $1,674
    3 - 22% - $1,364
    4 - 14% - $868

You are correct, but you need a life - do the exact numbers really matter that. Much?
    moose wrote: »
    It's just an evening tourney and they are trying to end it at a reasonable hour and leave room for cash games.

Bingo! We still didn't finish till 2am.
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    Congrats! A good day for forumers yesterday...now if you could just get them to allow more than 4 tables for a tournament?

8 tables at today's deepstack.
  • Of course it matters if incorrect prizes were really being given out, and if it will keep happening to those of us who play there! Anyway, congrats again on your win.

Now back to those voices....
    do the exact numbers really matter that.
  • Well done...nice TR