Do Area Income Levels Affect Cash Games

I personally believe income levels affect the "luck factor" and profability of cash games to some degree. Obv, good table selection can reduce or increase this, but that isn't always an option, there are only a few going.

For my example, in Calgary I find people have far lower of a fear of loss and see a ton of super loose play. Great if your on good end, devastating if not. You need deep pockets and lots of plus EV situations that hold and time, cause its a roller coaster and there are some huge pots.

In Regina, games are much tighter, stealing pots is generally easy, but they aren't going to get big without the hell of the deck, outside a tournament series.

In Edmonton, play is generally deeper, but just a little less volatile than Calgary IMO. You have your young high rollers from the patch, still seems like a bit of a "smarter", less gamble or aggression game. I think it's the best of the 3.

Vegas is like Regina if you bum hunt rooms IMO, obv big rooms have action. Again, better or more expensive room with $$$, harder to eliminate luck (and skill).

Supporting Data:
1 Ottawa CMA 1,236,324 $94,700
2 Calgary CMA 1,214,839 $89,490
3 Edmonton CMA 1,159,869 $87,930
4 Regina CMA 210,556 $84,890

Comments

• jontm wrote: »
    I personally believe income levels affect the "luck factor" and profability of cash games to some degree. Obv, good table selection can reduce or increase this, but that isn't always an option, there are only a few going.

For my example, in Calgary I find people have far lower of a fear of loss and see a ton of super loose play. Great if your on good end, devastating if not. You need deep pockets and lots of plus EV situations that hold and time, cause its a roller coaster and there are some huge pots.

In Regina, games are much tighter, stealing pots is generally easy, but they aren't going to get big without the hell of the deck, outside a tournament series.

In Edmonton, play is generally deeper, but just a little less volatile than Calgary IMO. You have your young high rollers from the patch, still seems like a bit of a "smarter", less gamble or aggression game. I think it's the best of the 3.

Vegas is like Regina if you bum hunt rooms IMO, obv big rooms have action. Again, better or more expensive room with $$$, harder to eliminate luck (and skill).

Supporting Data:
    1 Ottawa CMA 1,236,324 $94,700
    2 Calgary CMA 1,214,839 $89,490
    3 Edmonton CMA 1,159,869 $87,930
    4 Regina CMA 210,556 $84,890

I found Calgary and Edmonton to be identical. The reason the games are so soft in AB is the economy. This is also the reason the games are more social and friendly. The majority of players aren't bitter and trying to grind a meager living at 1/2 NL...they are there to have fun playing cards.

I disagree with your statement of the Calgary games being a roller coaster ride (I haven't been there in 3-4 years but I hear the games are basically still the same), I find that they are fairly easy to beat.

I think you will get a much better comparison in comparing AB games to games in areas that were really affected by the recession -- California games or Vegas games. There is a huge difference in these areas vs. AB.

You are comparing apples to apples in your example. Come to California and get some oranges.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I found Calgary and Edmonton to be identical. The reason the games are so soft in AB is the economy. This is also the reason the games are more social and friendly. The majority of players aren't bitter and trying to grind a meager living at 1/2 NL...they are there to have fun playing cards.

I disagree with your statement of the Calgary games being a roller coaster ride (I haven't been there in 3-4 years but I hear the games are basically still the same), I find that they are fairly easy to beat.

I think you will get a much better comparison in comparing AB games to games in areas that were really affected by the recession -- California games or Vegas games. There is a huge difference in these areas vs. AB.

You are comparing apples to apples in your example. Come to California and get some oranges.

I'd love to hear your experience, but I think your saying tighter and less "casual"? (Which should support the theory)

As for my Calgary comments, I think people are willing to open way higher and get called than other games I play and gamble more for implied odds. They aren't going to be broke if they miss. I'm sure it's very good if your patient as hell to snap someone off and have a proper roll to get there.

I play short sessions, so I like a tighter game I guess.
  • Oh and also, what you are describing is why I play less. I fucking hate poker if I have to sit there and act like a robot. That's what my day job is for....

I got into the game because I was an introvert and my wife wanted me to be more social...it worked
  • It is not so much income level as the skill level and size of the player pool that determines the profitability of cash games. Georgian Downs Racetrack & Mohawk Racetrack were busy when they first opened their poker rooms, but when Woodbine Racetrack opened the first legal NL poker room in Toronto with 11 tables, everybody flocked there. The short-handed single table at Georgian, Mohawk & Western Fair would probably not be profitable enough for local players to "throw everything away & turn pro."

A few claim they have already profited 5 figures since Woodbine opened. The big advantage of Fallsview is that there are a lot more tourists and partyers there. There are only up to two 2/5 tables at Woodbine, but up to 10-15 2/5 tables at Fallsview on weekends. The reason why a 2/5 player can be more profitable at Fallsview than Woodbine is because there are more fish, not because Niagara Falls would have higher income than Toronto. The players at 5/10 may all have high income, but your long-term profitablity will be determined by the gap between your skill level and the other players'.
    jontm wrote: »
    I personally believe income levels affect the "luck factor" and profability of cash games to some degree.
  • Income directly relates to skill level in a given population of players. Fallsview soft tables on weekends have players with lots of disposable income.
  • Your all hitting on what I am trying to say. I don't think that games are harder to win at more money around, but more swingy as fear of loss isn't as strong so more hands will show down in comparison, more players will enter, etc.

Obv math says +EV play will always prevail over an infinite line. I'm just saying bring boatloads of bankroll cause its going to be cards doing a lot of the talking
  • jontm wrote: »
    Your all hitting on what I am trying to say. I don't think that games are harder to win at more money around, but more swingy as fear of loss isn't as strong so more hands will show down in comparison, more players will enter, etc.

Obv math says +EV play will always prevail over an infinite line. I'm just saying bring boatloads of bankroll cause its going to be cards doing a lot of the talking

I still disagree. You are assuming that higher income in an area means 9 players shoving vs your AA preflop. For the most part, you just get worse players. This in no way means tougher players or players that are going to look you up with bottom pair. Instead, you have players circa 2003 level of skill who are extremely exploitable regardless of their style of play.