Charity Work (for humans)

I know how/where to do animal related charity work, but what about humans?

I always feel quite badly when I see homeless people, etc. and, at times, have gone into Subway and purchased them food. I really feel like anyone could get into that situation with an unfortunate childhood or mental disability. I'm not talking about the California/Oregon 21 year olds that enjoy living in a park with their pit-bulls, but the people that really have problems (which seems to be more the situation in colder climates).

I have always thought that once I am settled somewhere and have my life in order that I would try and help out more. I'm not talking about throwing money at something just to make myself feel good (which it wouldn't), but actually giving some time to something worthwhile and beneficial.

I don't mind giving money, but it just seems that with most organizations I am contributing 15% to the people in need and 85% to the administration.

It seems that most charities are affiliated with religious groups, which I don't mind as long as they help people of all denominations equally and aren't lining their coffers with monies intended to help people. I researched Habitat for Humanity a couple years back and was a bit surprised that they are religious based since they don't really advertise that aspect of the organization as far as I know.

Any ideas for the Calgary area?

Comments

• Not sure about the Calgary area, but its probably no different than other places, in that they will have the aged.

I used to volunteer regularly at a home for the aged and it was awesome. Organized euchre games, bartended happy hours and concerts, painted with them and sometimes just walked the halls to chat.

Funny, I've been thinking about doing more with my time....selflessly. I haven't volunteered in at least 15 yrs.

Does your facility board pets? You could combine the two and organize dog walks with them?

Good luck
  • Hospitals take all sorts of volunteers. They need people to rock babies in the nursery, people to guide patients to the right clinics, etc.
  • If you decide to donate monies you could do worse thsan the various Catholic charities. This is not mentioned to start up the debate again, but they do generally have a much lower % of donations lost to "overhead".

As for yourself, how about Big Brothers? You do not necessarily have to be working with a child, but could work in the behind the scenes stuff, like organizing outings, etc. A couple of my friends used to do this. Alternatively, volunteer with the local emergency preparedness organizations like the Red Cross. After the floods this spring, I am sure they could use some more staff.
  • I've done a little research in the past and found that salvation army is one of the best. Around 50% of donations goes to helping people whereas most charities that number is closer to 20% or less. Also, they don't discriminate against who they give money to and they don't force conversions.
  • here are the top 100 in Canada, with efficiency rating.

The 2012 Charity 100 | MoneySense
  • As a counter, here are the 50 worst in America, couldn't find equivalent list for Canada.

America's Worst Charities
  • Really sad to see the Children's Wish on that list, comp
  • Milo wrote: »
    Really sad to see the Children's Wish on that list, comp

Really agree, I have some personal experience with this as my own mother got taken for a fair bit before my brother and I interceded.
  • I would imagine something like the food bank can always use hands-on volunteers.
  • Looks like Calgary Food Bank is highly rated.
  • Welcome to Volunteer Calgary

When I was the volunteer coordinator for an organization in Vancouver, I always maintained contact with Volunteer Vancouver. They prescreen volunteers and try and direct them towards volunteer opportunities that meet their interests and availability.

Pretty much every larger city in Canada will have an organization like this. Worth a shot.
  • I give $500US annually to a local school in Manila to help cover the costs of two school kids there. My wife knows the nun that runs the school personally so we know the money is going to help the kids directly. Its -EV but I never saw poverty like what I saw in the Philippines.

Maybe there is a charity for vets for animals abused overseas?
  • I think I'm going to start small to help humans.

1) Donate blood. No clinic in Oakville, but I have noted the date on my calendar when I will be passing by one.

2) Stem cells. Received my swab package from OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network.

3) I'm not crazy about junk food for my child, but I usually treat her to McHappy Day and other charity days. Today was Miracle Treat Day at Dairy Queen, where all proceeds from every Blizzard Treat purchased will be donated to a local Children's Miracle Network member hospital (Sick Kids).
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    2) Stem cells. Received my swab package from OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network.

I did this recently and it was pretty simple. Seems like such an easy task to maybe save a life. You just fill in the form online, they send you the swabs in the mail, couple saliva samples and you return it in the prepaid envelope. Everyone should do this without hesitation!

onematch.com
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    here are the top 100 in Canada, with efficiency rating.

The 2012 Charity 100 | MoneySense

For some reason last year they left out the sports charities, which are some of the worst.

Jays Care, Maple Leafs Team Up, etc.

For that reason I will never participate in their 50/50 draws.
  • I will already be doing spay/neuter programs for feral dogs in Alberta on Indian reservations etc so I'm OK for animal stuff...and I Can easily always find more. decreasing the stray population is the Most important thing to do if anyone has interest in helping out I can possibly arrange it...but i will have to be the one with the scalpel:)

Just interested in what I Can do for the humans:)

I would most like to help hungry and homeless people. I will look into the Calgary foodbank since it is very highly reviewed.

Other suggestions in these areas?
  • I know some humans you should spay/neuter...
  • Can you play hockey? I hear the Flames could use a solid defenceman . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Can you play hockey? I hear the Flames could use a solid defenceman . . .

I played junior but am awaiting a new shoulder:)