Open Face Chinese Tournament - Interest?

I was thinking of hosting Ontario's first (that I know of) Open Face Chinese Poker tournament. I was looking at capping it at 16 players so we could have four tables of four players and the winner from each of these tables would make the final table. Likely a low buy-in of $50 to $75 with final table getting paid. I have been speaking with Rocky from York Region Poker League and would likely run it on a Sunday when he is running one of his other tournaments. The location would be in Newmarket and likely start around noon.

If anyone is interested in playing in their first open face Chinese tournament, just post on here that you are interested and I will start to firm up the details.

Comments

• Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bristol Street has already had a Open Face Chinese Poker tournament!!

At the same time though, I would be interested in playing.

Al

PS - I would suggest NOT doing it as a shootout, but balance the tables as you go along - with the final table starting with 5 players so that you never have a table with less than 3 players until the final table. [The dealer sits out each hand until someone is eliminated].

If you need any help on setting up your rules, feel free to ask me - or Moose or Zithal for that matter.
  • Great. I can buy in with that 4k I won playing ofc against you on Saturday :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • DataMn wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bristol Street has already had a Open Face Chinese Poker tournament!!

At the same time though, I would be interested in playing.

Al

PS - I would suggest NOT doing it as a shootout, but balance the tables as you go along - with the final table starting with 5 players so that you never have a table with less than 3 players until the final table. [The dealer sits out each hand until someone is eliminated].

If you need any help on setting up your rules, feel free to ask me - or Moose or Zithal for that matter.
    what I think is common is most points after so many hands are dealt move on to next table.
  • Can I make a hundo an hour though?
  • I don't think so... I can't find the EPTs rules currently, but here is the one for the WSOP...

http://www.wsop.com/2013/Open_Face_Chinese_Structure_Sheet.pdf

Most places where I saw a shootout format mentioned, most people were arguing against it as a format.
  • He's not saying shootout. It's not a bad idea actually - play a fixed number of hands and the CL at that time wins the table and then play a final table.

You wouldn't even really need blind levels. Give everyone a ton of chips so that it wouldn't be possible to get eliminated before the hands count down to zero. Over time, the most skilled player should accumulate the most chips.

Eliminates the luck factor of winning a big hand at a lower level vs someone else winning a medium hand at a higher level but collecting more chips. Also wouldn't have to worry about all the rules for paying people in order and being able to only win chips equal to the chips in front of you, etc, etc. In discussion over the Bristol St rules, the elimination rules caused the most discussion and confusion.
  • Moose has got a point. A shoot out isn't bad.

And, truthfully, at that point, you don't need chips. Just keep score and allow people to go into the negatives. After a set amount of time, the winners of each table face off at a final table.

The tournament we ran was a ton of fun, but determining elimination rules is a bit tricky. It has been a while since we ran it, so I'd be interested in seeing if any advancement has been made in the big leagues.