New CNE rake

The rake has changed this year.
All games are 10% with max rake as follows:
$6 - 5/10
$8 - 10/20
$9 - 15/30
$10 - 20/40

There are a lot more reds getting dropped in those rake boxes.
$6 on a $60 pot rather than $3 blows.
As long as all ur pots are big, you'll be benefitting from the lower max rake.

With this happening, they got rid of the pink $2.50 chips, and now big blind on 5/10 is $3
Dealers are much faster at calculating rake though, but I'd still keep an eye on them cuz they love to over rake

Comments

• 10% rake with max > $5 is terrible in Limit. Many CNE players are clueless about rake, but they will be screwed on all the pots below $120, which is the case for most hands at 5/10 Limit. For example, even if the pot bloats to $110, you will be raked more now compared to the previous 5% rake. Unless you can consistently find a table where the average pot is >= $120, you are better off playing 1/2 NL at Woodbine.
    BROOKS wrote: »
    The rake has changed this year.
    All games are 10% with max rake as follows:
    $6 - 5/10
    $8 - 10/20
    $9 - 15/30
    $10 - 20/40

There are a lot more reds getting dropped in those rake boxes.
    $6 on a $60 pot rather than $3 blows.
  • Hey there,

I see that poker started July 28th. We're going to be in the area on Sun Aug 4th. What will it be like at the CNE poker room? Is it still busy when there is no fair? Would we be better off checking out Woodbine?

Thanks.
  • It should be packed regardless. Going early is better because you should be able to pick up a parking/entry pass before they run out, which will be good when the rest of the CNE is open.
  • I think I will give the cne a miss this year. That rake is awfully hard to beat if it's all regulars from brantford and gbh playing.
  • Sounds like poker in Ontario is dying
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Sounds like poker in Ontario is dying

Only until GTA returns to the GTA I suppose.
  • not gonna happen...just the wannabees

I can't remember a time when them games an The Ex weren't so soft that they warranted at least a few trips down to the poker room each year
    not gonna happen...just the wannabees

I can't remember a time when them games an The Ex weren't so soft that they warranted at least a few trips down to the poker room each year

I only went down last year for the first time and made a couple of trips. If it's full of GBH and Brantford nits this year it makes the higher rake tougher to beat. I supose there is something to be said for saving on gas money, despite the amateurish dealers I had on the tables.

Some of the easier money may have shifted to Woodbine, which I might check out.
  • Some of the easier money may have shifted to Woodbine, which I might check out.

No doubt - but IMO being nitty on a rake increase with the softness of game is a mistake. While the top level will have your typical grinders, drop a level or two and you'll still find plenty of bad plays to turn a positive hourly rate. Higher rake is no doubt bad for the game but this market isn't to the point where it's unsustainable yet. If CNE were year-round, whole different story.
    Sounds like poker in Ontario is dying

agreed