Woodbine not so good tonight

Went to meet up with the JAH but the interface to the poker accounting system was down so I couldn't put money on my card. They kept promising it would be up any minute so I waited far too long. The final straw was when the system got overloaded and everyone was kicked off the tables. Then we were informed it would be at least an hour.

JAH being a man about town suggested we head to Pockets for some 1/2. They had only one table going but there was a couple stacks over 1k and a couple over 600.

After about an hour I got a seat and bought in for the 300 max. The game was pretty dumb. They had the fakey straddle UTG most hands and frequently a button straddle. Most hands were 15-20 pf. Probably Ok if you have 1k behind but maybe not so much with 250. 3 or 4 to a flop was the norm.

There was a real sense of desperation in the air. A few of the players were quite bad. They reloaded a few times and then I realized they were allowed to reload to 500. I'm guessing they run a big sheet there. The guy to my left was an uber fish. He was drunk and stoned. He kept muttering nonsense to me and flashing his cards. He tore through more than 1k while I was there.

Only hand of note for me was early on, hitting top set on the flop with 2 diamonds and a potential gut shot for draws. SB led out, I raised pot and Big Hand Wendy insta called for 20% of her stack. Turn completed the gut shot but not the flush. I led out for something close to half her stack and she jammed. Of course I insta call. Of course she hit her gut shot. Of course I rivered the fh. EZ game.

This game did not seem like poker to me. It was much more like an expensive roller coaster that leaves you feeling excited but sick to your stomach.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comments

• Most of us learned the game at underground clubs just like Pockets.

Its funny the perspective I have when I (rarely) play the undergrounds now, its really a sad/demoralizing environment.
  • Sounds like a great game
  • If the game is that good, f*** Woodstock & I'll go there instead! Unfortunately, I know that the underground game usually calms down, the huge rake becomes hard to beat, then the SWAT team breaks down the Pockets door with their battering ram....
    pkrfce9 wrote: »
    This game did not seem like poker to me. It was much more like an expensive roller coaster that leaves you feeling excited but sick to your stomach.
  • Yep played at pockets years ago, probably also several iterations ago as well..
    They used to have a really wild tournament with a lot of players, when I think back, who had no idea of push fold poker at all.. (Probably nor did I);)
    As you say Wetts, a really demoralizing thing now...
  • Usually wouldn't play these underground games but with WB down for the night, seemed like a good option given it is a 10 minute drive from there. Also, real poker chips ;) Although the open face there cost me most of my remaining 2013 bankroll.