Making the case for atheism...can it be done?

Comments

• According to Eugenie Scott, Director of the US National Center for Science Education: "Theistic evolutionism" is the official position of the Catholic church. In 1996, Pope John Paul II reiterated the Catholic TE position, according to which God created, evolution occurred, human beings may indeed have been descended from more primitive forms, and the Hand of God was required for the production of the human soul"[3] Statements from the Church in recent decades hold that faith and scientific findings regarding human evolution are not in conflict, though humans are regarded as a special creation, and that the existence of God is required to explain both monogenism and the spiritual component of human origins. Moreover, the Church teaches that the process of evolution is a planned and purpose-driven natural process, guided by God.[4][5][6]

Sounds like intelligent design no? (in case you're wondering that's from your second link)

Oh shit...I mistyped I meant "Superior design" (from third link)

"At the same time, scientists should recognize that evolutionary theory does not exclude an overall purpose in creation -- a "superior design" that may be realized through secondary causes like natural selection, it said."

and my favourite from the first link....

“God in his infinite freedom continuously creates a world which reflects that freedom at all levels of the evolutionary process to greater and greater complexity,” he said. “God lets the world be what it will be in its continuous evolution. He does not intervene, but rather allows, participates, loves.”

You are right...I'm completely convinced. The Church has a problem with intelligent design because it removes the romance and love from His creation. NOt because He had nothing to do with it! They believe in something even higher than intelligent design.

Let's see if this works:

God created the universe? (My assumption is that you think so...) =Yes
    God made man in his own image, with the unique feature of a soul= Yes

But nope....You don't see how that is intelligent design? Did God just get really lucky and then added a Soul to the first thing that looked like him? I guess with infinite planets and time that would work.
  • Catholic schools in the United States and other countries teach evolution as part of their science curriculum. They teach the fact that evolution occurs and the modern evolutionary synthesis, which is the scientific theory that explains why evolution occurs. This is the same evolution curriculum that secular schools teach.

That is from the second link as well.

In an October 22, 1996, address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, Pope John Paul II updated the Church's position to accept evolution of the human body:
    "In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points.... Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than a hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies—which was neither planned nor sought—constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory."[48]

I can pick and choose, too. The position of the Catholic Church is that there is no conflict between Catholic dogma and the Theory of Evolution. does that sound like Intelligent Design support?

God himself could come down to Earth and say, "Hi 800," and you still would refuse to believe. With that in mind, good day.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    How to Debate a Christian Apologist*|*Victor Stenger

Science and religion are compatible as evidenced by the fact that many scientists are believers.

They are actually a relatively small minority. Only 7 percent of the members of the National Academy of Sciences, the elite of American science, believe in a personal God. Believing scientists compartmentalize their brains, leaving their critical thinking skills at the lab when they go to church and leaving their Bibles at home when they go the lab. God is not a coherent part of the scientific model of any believing scientist.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say those 140 elite scientists would take umbrage at this bolded statement.

The article makes some good points, though. A lot of them are due to the weakness of the Christian arguments he lays out (but it's not his fault that many christians are poor logicians).
    The author has quite a few errors/ weaknesses as well, though.
  • I said . . . GOOD DAY !!!
  • i wish we had a vatican authority to answer our questions on here.
  • Milo wrote: »
    See bolded.

Re-read original post whilst imagining me making this face...

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png

Mark
  • Not sure I am following you Mark . . . I acknowledge that the Church's stance on the issues of homosexuality, birth control, etc. that Nik mentioned are not based on science, but on morality (for want of a better term). Thus, bringing them up with respect to the Church's stance re: science makes no sense. Science says nothing about the morality of a thing, it simply explains what it is, how it works, etc.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i wish we had a vatican authority to answer our questions on here.

Send the Pope a tweet . . . you may get lucky.
    Not sure I am following you Mark . . . I acknowledge that the Church's stance on the issues of homosexuality, birth control, etc. that Nik mentioned are not based on science, but on morality (for want of a better term). Thus, bringing them up with respect to the Church's stance re: science makes no sense. Science says nothing about the morality of a thing, it simply explains what it is, how it works, etc.

How is something created by God a sin by its very existance (gays)?
    Catholic schools in the United States and other countries teach evolution as part of their science curriculum. They teach the fact that evolution occurs and the modern evolutionary synthesis, which is the scientific theory that explains why evolution occurs. This is the same evolution curriculum that secular schools teach.

That is from the second link as well.

In an October 22, 1996, address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, Pope John Paul II updated the Church's position to accept evolution of the human body:
    "In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points.... Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than a hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies—which was neither planned nor sought—constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory."[48]

I can pick and choose, too. The position of the Catholic Church is that there is no conflict between Catholic dogma and the Theory of Evolution. does that sound like Intelligent Design support?

God himself could come down to Earth and say, "Hi 800," and you still would refuse to believe. With that in mind, good day.

Do you even understand intelligent design? I'm not being flippant. Why do you think that Intelligent design and evolution is mutually exclusive? Intelligent design simply adds God's touch to evolution. Of course the Church is ok with Evolution. They cannot fight it anymore. Having said that I simply quoted your examples.... and you didn't answer anything. What about the women? what about the gays? Do you believe we evolved a soul?

And the fact that you think that morals are not something that can be decided without religion....pretty weak. Watch this and tell me if you disagree (anyone who is interested in morality should watch it):

https://www.ted.com/talks/sam_harris_science_can_show_what_s_right

No Christian church (ok, maybe Westboro Baptist) considers a gay person sinful by their very existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    No Christian church (ok, maybe Westboro Baptist) considers a gay person sinful by their very existence.

False: (in case you haven't been to a Catholic Church lately....sinning by thought is a thing....ever heard of coveting thy neighbours wife?)

New Translation

I confess to almighty God
    and to you, my brothers and sisters,
    that I have greatly sinned
    in my thoughts and in my words,
    in what I have done,
    and in what I have failed to do;
    through my fault, through my fault,
    through my most grievous fault;
    therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
    all the Angels and Saints,
    and you, my brothers and sisters,
    to pray for me to the Lord our God.

They say they don't...but they don't want them to be Priests*...or anything else. Or take communion or attend there churches or teach there children. But oh no it's not a sin.

*did you see the Catholic church old fogies lose their shit when the Pope said that we shouldn't judge gay Priests?
    False: (in case you haven't been to a Catholic Church lately....sinning by thought is a thing....ever heard of coveting thy neighbours wife?)

Not false. And, yes, I do know sinning in thought is a thing.
    Coveting your neighbor's wife is a sin, as would be coveting your neighbor's husband.
    But a man feeling attracted to another man is no more sinful than a man feeling attracted to a woman. Note that attraction is not the same as lust, and again, lust is a sin whether gay or not.
    They say they don't...but they don't want them to be Priests*...or anything else. Or take communion or attend there churches or teach there children. But oh no it's not a sin.

Well, the Catholics don't want anyone who is not celibate to be a priest, straight or gay, do they? As for the rest, I'm not Catholic; and the Catholic church is not representative of all Christianity.

Also, I do need to qualify my statement from earlier.

1. All humans are sinful by their very existence, it is our nature. This is a basic part of christian doctrine.

2. You're no doubt right that a lot people would consider 'being gay' to be a sin in itself, and thus a gay person somehow more sinful than a straight person. But that is not the official position of any church I'm aware of besides the aforementioned Westboro people (few of whom are likely christians, though they no doubt believe they are).

3. I had a third point but I left and came back and I can't remember it. Sorry.
    Also, I do need to qualify my statement from earlier.

1. All humans are sinful by their very existence, it is our nature. This is a basic part of christian doctrine.

2. You're no doubt right that a lot people would consider 'being gay' to be a sin in itself, and thus a gay person somehow more sinful than a straight person. But that is not the official position of any church I'm aware of besides the aforementioned Westboro people (few of whom are likely christians, though they no doubt believe they are).

3. I had a third point but I left and came back and I can't remember it. Sorry.

Would you say the "official position" of the church (or any group for that matter) is what is says or what it does? If it's based on actions....the church is anti gay. No if ands or buts. We just happen to live in a Country that doesn't let our Catholic Priests hate as much as other countries. And of course there are exceptions.

oh and if you believe in evolution...you can't believe in original sin....paradox.
    Would you say the "official position" of the church (or any group for that matter) is what is says or what it does? If it's based on actions....the church is anti gay.

Excellent point. Though 'the church' is not (unless you're referring to Catholics, who again, are not representative of christianity), but many people who attend churches - including entire congregations - are.

Note though that I wasn't ever saying that the church isn't anti-gay, just that they don't consider a gay person extra-sinful because of their very existence (as opposed to specific actions), in response to your earlier question (post #280).

And the fact that you think that morals are not something that can be decided without religion....pretty weak. Watch this and tell me if you disagree (anyone who is interested in morality should watch it):

https://www.ted.com/talks/sam_harris_science_can_show_what_s_right

Did not say that morals cannot be decided without religion. What I said was that the Catholic Church position re: gays, abortion, etc. is a morality based stance rather than a science based one. That is all.

As for being anti-woman, yeah . . . when the third most revered personage in Catholic doctrine is a woman, I think I am going to have to disagree there. Not wanting women as priests does not make you "anti" woman. You might be better arguing from the standpoint of abortion, but you would be wrong there too.

We are not going to convince each other to change . . . so I am going to let you have the field. Feel free to keep going . . .

As for being anti-woman, yeah . . . when the third most revered personage in Catholic doctrine is a woman . . .

I'm confused, who is #2? I'm having trouble figuring out how Mary is 3rd.

You might be better arguing from the standpoint of abortion, but you would be wrong there too.

i'd be interested in hearing this defense. obviously the church feels that merely just the potential of any human life trumps the rights, life, and freedoms of the pregnant mother. obviously, men don't have to deal with this issue so it is exclusive to women.

i really think that it'd be difficult to argue a pro-life position and at the same time be completely, 100% not "anti-woman". at least, i couldn't formulate an argument that fits that criteria i don't think.
    i really think that it'd be difficult to argue a pro-life position and at the same time be completely, 100% not "anti-woman". at least, i couldn't formulate an argument that fits that criteria i don't think.

It would be difficult, but mainly because 'anti-woman' is pretty subjective

For example, if Milo was going to murder someone, and I was able to stop him from doing so, I would consider that a pro-Milo position. I would consider that true even if murder was for some reason completely legal. But Milo might not (or won't until later on).
    It would be difficult, but mainly because 'anti-woman' is pretty subjective

For example, if Milo was going to murder someone, and I was able to stop him from doing so, I would consider that a pro-Milo position. I would consider that true even if murder was for some reason completely legal. But Milo might not (or won't until later on).

yeah, there would be definition issues. i agree.
    I'm confused, who is #2? I'm having trouble figuring out how Mary is 3rd.

Okay, second . . . trying to play it safe, y'know?
    i'd be interested in hearing this defense. obviously the church feels that merely just the potential of any human life trumps the rights, life, and freedoms of the pregnant mother. obviously, men don't have to deal with this issue so it is exclusive to women.

What I was saying is that an argument that the Church is "anti-woman" due to it's stance on abortion would have a better chance of winning a debate than the fact woman are barred from the priesthood.

But you could make an equally good argument that abortion itself is "anti-woman" owing to the disproportionate number of female babies that are terminated as opposed to male babies.

The Catholic Church is at least consistent when it says that life begins at conception and continues through to a natural death, and that all life is sacred.

Those who shout down the Church as being anti-woman with respect to abortion are strangely silent over the issue of sex-selective abortions. Even the medical community is starting to raise flags over the issue.
  • All this being said, we are starting to stray from our discussion of atheism.
    Did not say that morals cannot be decided without religion. What I said was that the Catholic Church position re: gays, abortion, etc. is a morality based stance rather than a science based one. That is all.

As for being anti-woman, yeah . . . when the third most revered personage in Catholic doctrine is a woman, I think I am going to have to disagree there. Not wanting women as priests does not make you "anti" woman. You might be better arguing from the standpoint of abortion, but you would be wrong there too.

We are not going to convince each other to change . . . so I am going to let you have the field. Feel free to keep going . . .

Morals can be determined by science (did you watch the video?)...not a book written 1500 years ago by a bunch of men....give me the MORAL reasons for the church's anti gay anti women stance. Quoting the Bible gets you zero credit.

As for Mary....she had to be a Virgin as women who are not are unclean according to the Church. Ever heard of Esther? Where is that part of the bible? Is there a book of the bible that was cleansed from our Bible because it is a book about the exploits of a woman?

Ever read what the bible says about women?

Please don't make me bring up the quotes from Popes past....
  • As regards the individual nature, woman is defective and misbegotten, for the active power of the male seed tends to the production of a perfect likeness in the masculine sex; while the production of a woman comes from defect in the active power..
    Aquinas, Thomas. 13th Century.

Sorry forgot to mention that he's a Saint.
  • 1 Timothy 2:11-15 ESV / 461 helpful votes

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

New Testament and everything! or is this out of context?
  • Judges 19:24 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine. Let me bring them out now. Violate them and do with them what seems good to you, but against this man do not do this outrageous thing.
  • Wow . . . you really took the whole "carry on" thing to heart, didn't you?
    Judges 19:24 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine. Let me bring them out now. Violate them and do with them what seems good to you, but against this man do not do this outrageous thing.

Oddly enough, I just heard a great sermon on this story a couple weeks ago.
    RightInTheEye.org for anyone interested. I think it was the first or second message.