George Zimmerman...

Comments

• Watched the video, and "NO" those actors were NOT dressed similarly.
  • The problem is a law that allows a man to carry a concealed weapon and enter into an altercation with another without declaring himself armed. IF in fact Trevon started the altercation.....do we think this would have occured if while following Trevon that Zimmerman had declared himself armed and that he was a member of neighbourhood watch and that he had called the police?

The law allows for Zimmerman to follow Trevon while armed knowing he has an "out" in a gun should anything go wrong. (what Mark said)

The law in Florida says if you are robbed....you can leave the robber, walk into your house, walk back out and chase down the robber and shoot him in the back. That's insanity.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    The problem is a law that allows a man to carry a concealed weapon and enter into an altercation with another without declaring himself armed. IF in fact Trevon started the altercation.....do we think this would have occured if while following Trevon that Zimmerman had declared himself armed and that he was a member of neighbourhood watch and that he had called the police?

Zimmerman, as a civilian, is under no obligation to do any of those things, nor should he be, as he has no "official" status viz. law enforcement.

The law allows for Zimmerman to follow Trevon while armed knowing he has an "out" in a gun should anything go wrong. (what Mark said)

So? Not personally my thing, but others would like to be able to carry a firearm for personal protection. Some States allow it. citizens in those States should consider that when approaching a stranger.

The law in Florida says if you are robbed....you can leave the robber, walk into your house, walk back out and chase down the robber and shoot him in the back. That's insanity.

As for your last bit, I am going to ask for a link, please. My understanding of the "Stand Your Ground" statutes is that there is no requirement to retreat, as there is here. I think it has to be in the "heat of the moment", as it were.
  • Here is the text of Florida's law:
    A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
    (1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
    (2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

So, no, you would not be able to use this law to do what you suggested in an earlier post, 800.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Watched the video, and "NO" those actors were NOT dressed similarly.

That's a pretty racist comment.

Both actors are wearing baggy clothes, and a turned backwards chapeau.
  • Wat.jpg

No, it's GABBO...
  • That's a pretty racist comment.

Both actors are wearing baggy clothes, and a turned backwards chapeau.

Sorry, but to me, the white dude looks to be wearing what used to be called "relaxed fit", as opposed to the black kid who seems to be wearing the stereotypical saggy pants.
    Sorry, but to me, the white dude looks to be wearing what used to be called "relaxed fit", as opposed to the black kid who seems to be wearing the stereotypical saggy pants.

"white dude" and "black kid" :frown:

RE: the trial

I have a question:

If a black man were to shoot and kill a white child, walking down the street eating skittles, do you think the verdict would be any different?
  • Well, yes. But that is not what happened in this instance. So lets just stick to the facts as they came to light in the court case, hmm?
  • "white dude" and "black kid" :frown:

RE: the trial

I have a question:

If a black man were to shoot and kill a white child, walking down the street eating skittles, do you think the verdict would be any different?

skittles are a black candy IMO
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    skittles are a black candy IMO

Im white, and enjoy skittles immensely , and I'm a grown man!
  • , and I'm a grown man!

^^^ definitely disputable.... and exploitable...
  • compuease wrote: »
    ^^^ definitely disputable.... and exploitable...

What constitutes a grown man in your eyes, sir?
  • Comp has grandchildren older than 60.
    As for your last bit, I am going to ask for a link, please. My understanding of the "Stand Your Ground" statutes is that there is no requirement to retreat, as there is here. I think it has to be in the "heat of the moment", as it were.

Glad you asked for a link (I cherrypicked as much as possible):

Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied | Tampa Bay Times

•" During an argument at a 2009 party in Fort Myers, Omar Bonilla fired his gun into the ground and beat Demarro Battle, then went inside and gave the gun to a friend. If Battle feared for his life, he had time to flee. Instead, he got a gun from his car and returned to shoot Bonilla three times, including once in the back. Battle was not charged in the slaying."

Two men fell into the water while fighting on a dock. When one started climbing out of the water, the other shot him in the back of the head, killing him. He was acquitted after arguing "stand your ground."

A Seventh-day Adventist was acting erratically, doing cartwheels through an apartment complex parking lot, pounding on cars and apartment windows and setting off alarms. A tenant who felt threatened by the man's behavior shot and killed him. He was not charged.

• A Citrus County man in a longstanding dispute with a neighbor shot and killed the man one night in 2009. He was not charged even though a witness and the location of two bullet wounds showed the victim was turning to leave when he was shot.

"Even chasing and killing someone over a drug buy can be considered standing your ground.

Anthony Gonzalez Jr. was part of a 2010 drug deal that went sour when someone threatened Gonzalez with a gun. Gonzalez chased the man down and killed him during a high-speed gunbattle through Miami streets."

All of these things are why non-deputized people like Zimmerman "Zimmerman, as a civilian, is under no obligation to do any of those things, nor should he be, as he has no "official" status viz. law enforcement." should not be allowed to carry a concealed weapon. You can't have it both ways. The LAW allows concealed weapons and shoot people you get into an argument with. Read the article...carry and conceal combined with stand your ground = more death. Not less. In this case the law is an ass. Pretty simple.

My favorite part is this law is supported by people who think Jesus is the highest authority. Hypocrites.
  • moose wrote: »
    Comp has grandchildren older than 60.

lol'd
  • Some fine reasons why FLA is known as the armpit of America...

...and, grape soda?
  • inb4 watermelon.
  • inb4 watermelon.

stereotype
  • I read the same.

The stand your ground law is very scary even to a person like me that is usually prone to dismiss outlier activity as something that doesn't concern me.

And the law comes with one caveat....only to be used if you're not black.

Florida Mom Marissa Alexander To Serve 20 Years for Firing Warning Shot, While George Zimmerman Goes Free
    Milo wrote: »
    I agree with you that woman who got 20 years is a RIDICULOUS outcome, but lets stay on track, as that is an apples to oranges comparison anyway.

Turns out Hellmuth's Mole was more on track by posting the Marissa Alexander link than we knew.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to who the prosecutor for the Marissa Alexander case was? That's right, it's the same Angela Corey who was brought in to try the Zimmerman case after another prosecutor had declined to file charges because there wasn't a case.

Angela Corey - who keep in mind is an ELECTED official - does something that makes her quite unpopular with the minority community (and hopefully all clear thinking people) by trying a black woman with the result of her getting 20 years. Who better to bring in to rehabilitate her image when there is a public outcry in a case with a racial element?

End result: an overzealous prosecutor who first overcharges Zimmerman, then breaks the law by withholding exculpatory evidence and then further makes inflammatory statements following the verdict. I believe any one of these things could be grounds for disbarment, but I will not hold my breath.

Now, none of the above really speaks to what happened the night Trayvon Martin was killed. But I think it's kind of interesting, don't you?
    Some fine reasons why FLA is known as the armpit of America...

I thought it was the penis.

tumblr_mcimq515Gx1qjgyuwo3_500.gif
  • I placed the links in my post above after reading the text, but I just watched the videos contained within the first and third links in my next-to-last paragraph. Wow.
    If you are someone interested in this case I would say you do yourself a disservice if you don't watch the videos.

"...she's an embarassment to State Attorneys, and that State Attorneys all over Florida are appalled at her conduct in this case..."
  • 800 . . . I posted the link for the actual statute in Florida. Given the examples you posted, I would say that it has been misapplied in ALL of those examples. Not a huge fan of Stand Your Ground, but it is the Law of the land in many States. That said, it is up to the DA's to charge appropriately when the circumstances warrant.

Screw it . . . Stand Your Ground is poor Law. that said, the Zimmerman verdict was an appropriate one, and the person that all these bleeding hearts should be pissed at is the Prosecutor (Corey).

I got a laugh out of Stevie Wonder, and all the other celebs who are now talking about boycotting Florida in the aftermath. Where were they when OJ got away with murder? Oops, forgot . . . that was one for "their" side, wasn't it?
  • Also the proof is in the details. In the wiki it states that Alexander entered the house that the ex with the restraining order was already inside then went back to her car and got her gun. Then fired the gun in front of her kids. She was offered a probationary sentence with time served and turned it down and tried to use SYG instead and lost.
  • Martin died because Zimmerman feared for his life, fired his weapon, and fatally wounded Martin. That is the accepted verdict of the court. Loved your little site. Feel free to parse this however you like, Darb
  • someone needs to get a life, the ass clown made a site just so he could respond to pfc posts...fkn declerate itt...isn't he banned from here?
    someone needs to get a life, the ass clown made a site just so he could respond to pfc posts...fkn declerate itt...isn't he banned from here?

Don't get so hung up, he was already banned before you posted this.. fed has a site?