What Did I Do Wrong?

Final table in a small tournament with an average chip stack.

I was dealt pocket JJ on the button. I raised the blinds up 4x. Everyone folded except a guy early position.

Flop came down 4clubs, 10diamonds, 8clubs.

The man checked to me and I thought I was in pretty good position so I raised about 60% of the pot. He calls the bet and now I'm left with three thoughts. Either he has QQ,KK,AA. Or he has a 10. Or he has a flush draw.

Turn card is 7hearts.

He checks again, I decide the best thing to do is too raise because that card couldn't have helped him. Once again I raise around 60% of the pot. I made sure that this raise wouldn't commit him, but it didn't matter. He went over the top and re-raised me all in.

Now, that didn't really frighten me because I wasn't committed before. So this smelt like a semi-bluff. Personally I thought he had 10's. I was wrong however. This fellow had 5-3clubs.

He hit his flush on the river and I was basically crippled for the tournament. I have analyzed this hand over and over. I can't figure out what I should have done. Who plays with 5-3 in early position

Is this just a fish getting lucky. Or should I have raised pre-flop even more. Or what else could I have done?

Thanks.

Comments

• Stack sizes pre? Had he limped in early position or was he in a blind? What had he been doing earlier? What do you think his image of you was?

Oh and welcome to pokerforum.
  • like comp said, stack sizes pre are necessary.

did villain limp early? is your 4x BB raise standard at the table because it seems a little high imo unless there were limps before your action.

flop comes and you make standard cbet. depending on stack sizes i'm probably betting more here, maybe 80% of the pot.

after villain's check/call on the flop we have to re-evaluate. sure we have an overpair but that's it. what is villain limp/calling preflop and check/calling this flop with and then checking the turn with? definitely looks like a flush draw and probably a weak one at that. maybe top pair decent kicker. if he did flop a set i think he would have check/raised flop and even if not i can't see him checking the turn again as it just seems like he's losing a ton of value with that line.

without stack sizes i really can't discuss your turn play.
  • raising when checked to is pretty advanced stuff
  • OK, I am going to try to be constructive here...

Final table in a small tournament with an average chip stack.

I was dealt pocket JJ on the button. I raised the blinds up 4x. Everyone folded except a guy early position.

Is 4x a typical raise in your game? Usually towards the final table of a tournament 2.5x to 3x is the range for raises - weighted more towards 2.5x. 4x seems like a hand that you want to take the blinds and want to avoid a confrontation with. This could have been exactly what is going through your opponent's mind - this pot could be one that can be easily taken away from you.
    Flop came down 4clubs, 10diamonds, 8clubs.

The man checked to me and I thought I was in pretty good position so I raised about 60% of the pot. He calls the bet and now I'm left with three thoughts. Either he has QQ,KK,AA. Or he has a 10. Or he has a flush draw.

OK.
    Turn card is 7hearts.

He checks again, I decide the best thing to do is too raise because that card couldn't have helped him. Once again I raise around 60% of the pot. I made sure that this raise wouldn't commit him, but it didn't matter. He went over the top and re-raised me all in.

Now, that didn't really frighten me because I wasn't committed before. So this smelt like a semi-bluff.

OK, so if it is a semi-bluff (which it is - 13 outs on the river assuming that you don't have the Jc) you shouldn't be scared - you're ahead.
    Personally I thought he had 10's.{/QUOTE]

Huh? I thought you said that it smelt like a semi-bluff?
    I was wrong however. This fellow had 5-3clubs.

And you do the fist-pump because you are at worst a 73% favorite to double up.
    He hit his flush on the river and I was basically crippled for the tournament.

And that's poker. Sometimes you do everything right and it doesn't work out.
    I have analyzed this hand over and over. I can't figure out what I should have done. Who plays with 5-3 in early position

Is this just a fish getting lucky. Or should I have raised pre-flop even more. Or what else could I have done?

I don't know how sophisticated your opponent was, or how much the pre-flop raises usually were, but I already explained my reasoning on what the opponent was thinking - if the usual raises were 2.5x - 3x then your 4x raise really says "I'm scared of playing this hand" (usually a middle pair 7s to Js) - so any semi-connected suited cards could be a profitable hand if you combine the chances of hitting the hand and being able to bluff any "scary" flops.

Opponent picked up a flush draw on the flop, and an inside straight draw on the turn - at which point they decided to push with their semi-bluff (with 12 outs). If they read you the way I've stated then the semi-bluff should work a good percentage of the time, and if it doesn't work they still have 11 or 12 outs to win the pot.

Of course I could be wrong - he could have just been a lucky fish who loves playing 53 for their stack - that I can't explain away ;-).

You really didn't do anything wrong. Like I said before - you can do everything right in Poker and something can still go wrong. Don't knock it though - the corollary to this is that you can do everything wrong and still get rewarded - and that's what keeps the fish coming to Poker games.

You've also done a good thing by analyzing the hand afterwords - but you have to change your frame of mind from being "results oriented" to "process oriented". Try to see in each hand if you made the best decisions - although it may not be immediate, if you are making good decisions then eventually the results will come.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    raising when checked to is pretty advanced stuff

Damn, beat me to it.