Bankroll builder plan

I need assistance in building a bankroll again on Stars. I have $100 and want a plan to build it up to $1000 within six months. I have one day a week I can play 8-10 hours, the rest of the week is approx 2-3 hours between 11pm-2am.

I prefer SNGS, MTT SNGs and MTTs.

Comments

• play cash games?

I'm out of ideas

GL
  • As Charlie Sheen used to say......"Winning" is a great way to build a bankroll ^-^
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    play cash games?

GL

Yea, you just need to beat .25/.50 for 4bb/hour, seems reasonable.
  • 2 bad beats and my roll goes to zero though
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    2 bad beats and my roll goes to zero though

That's not really your roll though.. Just reload if that happens..

Question is, are you a winning player? Otherwise bankroll has no meaning and you are playing as recreation... If you are a winning player then you need to be playing 5/10 cent to avoid a high risk of ruin..
    Playing within your bankroll properly means you can't get to $1K in that time...
  • Start lower....05/.1. Still under rolled but you only live once.
    I need assistance in building a bankroll again on Stars. I have $100 and want a plan to build it up to $1000 within six months.
    I had horseshoes up the wazoo to multiply my first-ever $500 deposit by more than ten times, but I will be the first to admit that planning or expecting to do so within six months is highly unrealistic. One of the "first steps in the journey" of a million hands is to find a game that you can beat consistently, no matter how small the buy-in.

If you haven't found that game in your previous online shots, then the choice is to either just play casually for fun (like most in the forum seem to have settled for) OR to make the time-consuming commitment to seriously study the game enough to elevate your game to be among the top ~25% of players that can beat the rake in your game. This is easier to do in the fishier live games. For online, SNGs are easier than MTTs and cash games to become competent at. Good luck.
  • 99% of online grinders don't beat the rake. They depend on bonuses to make money. The grind is to accumulate FFP and cash those in.
  • djgolfcan stated in his OP that "I have one day a week I can play 8-10 hours" so grinding for rakeback (or freerolls) is not a good option.

Obviously, a lot more than 1% of grinders beat the rake. Sharkscope stats consistently show that ~26% of players are winners. There is no point in grinding to lose just to get back a fraction of the fraction of rake you pay.
    RAM_Eh wrote: »
    99% of online grinders don't beat the rake. They depend on bonuses to make money. The grind is to accumulate FFP and cash those in.
  • compuease wrote: »
    That's not really your roll though.. Just reload if that happens..

see
  • I currently play the same games you described, with a lot less mtt's, zero cash, about 90% sng's, mostly 6- max and about 10% mtt's.

My best advice, which has probably already been offered, after finding a stake you know you can beat and have proven to do so, is brm. This is the most important (IMO) aspect of maintaining your roll through the downsides of varience, and slowly building it.

There are lots of numbers thrown around about how many buy in's you should have for a particular stake, I've seen ppl say as low as 20 and up to 50+.

Personally, I recommend around the 40-50 mark, although this can be quite high I find it suits me best. Your less likely to become 'tilted' after losing a couple games because of the much lower impact it has on your overall BR.

Now I don't play on stars, so don't really know much about the different stakes offered, but with $100, I would look at playing the $2 games, with the occasional shot at higher, up to say, the $5's, until your bankroll has grown enough where you can then focus on the $5's with shots at the $10's etc.

Ps, this is all for single table sng's, if your playing big field mtt's, then I would definately look at 50+ buy ins to best protect your roll.

Hope this helps some
    2 bad beats and my roll goes to zero though

Well, you cant hit youre goal without getting lucky properly.

Playing $1 SNG, you will never get there at an expected win rate

Youre completely screwed playing MTT unless you bink.

And you'll go crazy playing properly rolled cash games.

Youre highest opportunity would be to play underrolled in lower level cash games.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

Youre highest opportunity would be to play underrolled in lower level cash games.

Shortstacking cash games for min BI is probably your best bet. I assume you have decent knowledge of shove charts being a sng player. Close the table when you double your BI.
  • I think it may be better to establish yourself a good winning rate and go from there, rather than aim for $XX in X amount of time, especially since everyone seems to think it's not obtainable using proper bankrolling. Be patient and build it up. Or, wait until you have enough to establish a proper BR before playing so that you don't have to grind the micros.
  • I think I'll just wait and bink a micro millions event. :)
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »

GTA Poker wrote: »
    Shortstacking cash games for min BI is probably your best bet. I assume you have decent knowledge of shove charts being a sng player. Close the table when you double your BI.

You guys are freakin' geniuses. In 200 hands of $50NL, I started with two tables, buying in short at $20, doubled both of my stacks. Nice way to start.
  • That's what the IQ tests say.

I'd play .1/.25 though
    You guys are freakin' geniuses. In 200 hands of $50NL, I started with two tables, buying in short at $20, doubled both of my stacks. Nice way to start.

Now where you at...?
  • Now where you at...?

Still trying to figure out how to win money online. I don't have the patience I need to build a roll properly, at least I haven't in the past. I have always been able to re-load as needed but I want to try and get away from doing that.
    And when I do bink a nice score, I have to withdraw the funds to pay for real life stuff. Now that I have a more stable job and my wife is working full time again, I may be able to keep more money in my account to play higher buy-ins.
  • have you tried any of the training sites? If your patience is low, what about playing heads up matches? 50/50 shot at doubling your money every time. Play some $50 matches and if you go on a run, you'd be up a few hundo in an hour or two. Then take a shot at $100 HU.
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    what about playing heads up matches? 50/50 shot at doubling your money every time.

You understand that is not how poker works, no?
    have you tried any of the training sites? If your patience is low, what about playing heads up matches? 50/50 shot at doubling your money every time. Play some $50 matches and if you go on a run, you'd be up a few hundo in an hour or two. Then take a shot at $100 HU.

Geez man, sounds like a recipe to faster busto.. Why not play some $500. matches, go on a run and be up a few K in an hour or two? Better earnings (or losses) per hour..
    what about playing heads up matches? 50/50 shot at doubling your money every time.

Not quite. Still go to pay the rake. :D
    You understand that is not how poker works, no?

doesn't sound like the other way is working out for the guy. Just suggesting a shorter route to doubling his deposit. Of course he can lose, that's a known factor once you decide to gamble
  • I think bankroll mngt is the major concern here, I mean, you'd have to be on quite the heater to crush the 50 and 100 HU matches, the competition at those levels must be pretty fierce.

If your really not keen on playing the micro levels, maybe take a week or two off, try to re-evaluate your game a bit, find some leaks and come back with a slightly bigger deposit so you can comfortably move up a little bit.

STT's I'd recomend 40-50 BI's, 30 BI's for the occasional shot taking, and MTT's with larger feilds try and keep it at 75-100 BI's.

Maybe have a stop loss as well, if your tilting, and down 'x' BI's on the day, quit and try again the next day with a clearer head.

Oh, and GL!!
  • or just play cash games
    or just play cash games

Isn't the consensus for cash games 20-40 buyins? Now I realize that since dj takes money out of his "bankroll" if he gets a decent win it doesn't really apply.
    He, like the majority of us, I think you included, are recreational players so it doesn't apply in quite the same way.
    Not sure if dj knows whether he is a long term winner at poker or not and obviously if someone is not it doesn't matter what the size of his bankroll is.
  • I think the key is to find a game he can beat. I don't think that sngs are the answer, but he has his stats.