Cell Phone While in Vegas

Hey Guys,

Just wondered what each of you does as far as cell phone while travelling to Vegas? I have a Samsung Galaxy S with Rogers. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Young Grimm

Comments

• Hey Guys,

Just wondered what each of you does as far as cell phone while travelling to Vegas? I have a Samsung Galaxy S with Rogers. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Young Grimm

Send a PM to SteveKerr, hes got some sort of plan for this.
  • Roam Mobility; get the sim card, unlock your phone, off you go! I bought one of their phones and use it on every US trip. Just don't drop it in the shitter like I did...#beat
  • What's the best cell phone plan for only emergency use locally? I had gotten rid of my unnecessary cell phone, but as pkrfce9 pointed out, IF I continue to play live poker, I may as well have a cell phone in the car when driving late at night from Georgian Downs/Mohawk/Brantford/etc. Things keep getting worse at PartyPoker :rage: so I may keep playing live.
  • If it's just for emergencies get a pay as you go.
  • Thanks. I'm thinking of buying the $50 cellphone & $10 SIM card at 7-11. With the only monthly fee being $1.25 for 911 service, this emergency-only phone will last me up to 8 months before I have to top up. I have to remember to ask for a 416/647 number instead of 905.
    moose wrote: »
  • I believe the phone comes with the sim. You buy the sim card only if you already have an unlocked phone.
  • As posted in the other thread, I have a $100 prepaid T-Mobile card that I run the $2 a day on. Pay By The Day Cell Phone Plans | Prepaid Plans | T-Mobile

Steve Kerr uses Roamobility as swears by it.
  • So I got the phone unlocked today and got my Roam Mobilty SIM card. There is a promo for activation on July 1st. You get a free plan for up to 7 days with talk,text and data. I will let everyone know how it goes!
  • This is a secret we've kept for years. Our cell service does not charge for sending or receiving email. It is almost as fast a texting. SHAW has a phone package anywhere in North America almost free. So when we want to chat and one is in Vegas, an email is sent and the one at home picks up a land line and calls the hotel.
    Our cell bill dropped from over $400. to less than $10.
    But don't let the phone company's know we found a way to out smart them.
  • I use a prepaid mobile hotspot when I'm in the US. I would stay away from T-mobile, reception and setting up the hotspot is a bit of a pain. But with the hotspot I use tons of free messaging options on my phone (whatsapp, FB messenger, iMessage, wechat, etc) also there are so many free VoIP options for you to phone back to Canada.
  • MaPoker wrote: »
    This is a secret we've kept for years. Our cell service does not charge for sending or receiving email. It is almost as fast a texting. SHAW has a phone package anywhere in North America almost free. So when we want to chat and one is in Vegas, an email is sent and the one at home picks up a land line and calls the hotel.
    Our cell bill dropped from over $400. to less than $10.
    But don't let the phone company's know we found a way to out smart them.

$3 a day to be able to talk at the table is well worth it imo. saves having to hike back to your room.
  • So I must say that this worked like a dream! I unlocked my phone at a place in Guelph(gewtv). Just upstairs in a building on the Norfolk St. The guy is really cool and I actually v sent 4 of my buddies there as well. We all had great signal while in Vegasv it was great to use my phone just like I would at home without worrying about overages. I would highly recommend this to anyone you crosses the border with any regularity. If you have any questions pm me!
  • In case anybody else was looking for a backup or emergency cell phone, I'll be getting the free Speakout phone with ~$130 worth of air time for $100.

193-free-phone-920x400.jpg
    moose wrote: »
  • Just be aware that speakout does not work in the US.