Globe and Mail?

So, The Globe and Mail now wants $20/mo to read articles online.

Would anyone actually pay this when you can find the same content elsewhere for free?

Comments

• It used to be you get 10 free....lately it hasn't seemed to limit me as I'm sure I'm way above 10 for this month. Sometimes there are articles written by globe reporters etc that I want to read that aren't available other places. The couple of times it told me I had reached my limit I just went to the site via a proxy and poof...unlimited.
    I refuse to pay for anything of the 'digital' nature anymore :)
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    It used to be you get 10 free....lately it hasn't seemed to limit me as I'm sure I'm way above 10 for this month. Sometimes there are articles written by globe reporters etc that I want to read that aren't available other places. The couple of times it told me I had reached my limit I just went to the site via a proxy and poof...unlimited.
    I refuse to pay for anything of the 'digital' nature anymore :)

It's one of my homepages and I have never had blocked access to articles until this week.
  • I'm not sure then. I just went to the site and successfully clicked and was linked to 12 articles without any warning. A month or two ago it would begin warning me "You have free access to 2 more articles this month" or something like that, and now it seems to be completely free again.
    The 'Try Globe Unlimited - 1 Month for just 99c' is still bannered across the top.
    Maybe if you are in the U.S. they are really tightening that end up.
  • i refuse to pay for news media. internetz has everything anyway.
  • All of the big papers are going this route except for the Star, it seems. NatPo, Canoe, Globe . . . I guess the Star (also known as FordNews - All Ford, all the time) feels they can grab some hits by delaying.

Like trigs said, I am not paying for it. Even thinking about dropping my local paper's website. It is a Metroland site (Torstar), and ever since the old Editor retired, more and more non-Brampton stories are popping up on the site. Today there is an article about a fist-fight at a Waterloo soccer game on Sunday. If they posted the results of Buzzzard's game, I might be interested, but a soccer game?
  • This just happend to me whilst I was away in Vegas for the WSOP. I was still reading news from home on my G&M app on my blackberry. Half way thru the week it started telling me I needed to apply for a "Globe membership" or some kife...When I first starting using the app a couple of years ago, it was saying a similar thing or such. In between I was enjoying unlimited access to Globe news. As someone above has said...there is a lot of free "news" already online...if they are looking for extra revenue this way..good luck to them, I won't be purchasing a membership/access anytime soon.
  • Milo wrote: »
    All of the big papers are going this route except for the Star, it seems. NatPo, Canoe, Globe . . . I guess the Star (also known as FordNews - All Ford, all the time) feels they can grab some hits by delaying.

and posting crap like this.

Miss Utah is an excellent question answerer at Miss USA pageant | Toronto Star

Copied for posterity before someone at the Star actually reads their own content:

To help future beauty queens avoid this type of embarrassment, here are three sample answers that will work with a variety of questions:
    Math questions: “Look at my breasts. They are perfect. They cost $5,000. That’s $4,000 more than I spend on school.”
    Geography: “If my breasts were Europe, Europe would look very nice.”
    Politics: “My breasts will not run for office because one is to the left and one is to the right. I made a joke.”
  • moose wrote: »
    and posting crap like this.

Miss Utah is an excellent question answerer at Miss USA pageant | Toronto Star

Copied for posterity before someone at the Star actually reads their own content:

To help future beauty queens avoid this type of embarrassment, here are three sample answers that will work with a variety of questions:
    Math questions: “Look at my breasts. They are perfect. They cost $5,000. That’s $4,000 more than I spend on school.”
    Geography: “If my breasts were Europe, Europe would look very nice.”
    Politics: “My breasts will not run for office because one is to the left and one is to the right. I made a joke.”

boom
  • I can understand that a failing industry such as the newspaper industry has to try and make money, but $240/yr? I assume that is way more than an IRL subscription being delivered to your door?

What is the business model that thinks this price point vs free news a click away is a good idea?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I can understand that a failing industry such as the newspaper industry has to try and make money, but $240/yr? I assume that is way more than an IRL subscription being delivered to your door?

What is the business model that thinks this price point vs free news a click away is a good idea?

exactly. make money from advertising and hope for the best. charging for subscriptions isn't going to work for them.