Much Ado About Nothing

Just wondering if our resident Joss Whedon fan-boy is going to be seeing this movie.

Comments

• I plan on it.

Mark
  • is that like some ancient greek stuff it's based on? or an edgar allen Poem

The Post gave it a good review so not putting much stock in it. hope it's at least as good as this taming of the shrew adaptation!

watch?v=AWmjzCZr0Jw

mmmmm. Julia

seeing this tonight though so my opinion can't be trusted....

watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY
  • I love Shakespeare . . . Have seen all of the Branagh film adaptations (I think). Will probably by the video of this one. I am DEFINITELY going to see Man of Steel.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I love Shakespeare . . . Have seen all of the Branagh film adaptations (I think). Will probably by the video of this one. I am DEFINITELY going to see Man of Steel.

Worth the drive to the theatre (or the walk if you are so lucky).....purists will not like some of the deviations from SM lore but a decent movie with only a couple of cringe worthy points.
  • Loved it. Rank it high for Superhero movies. I am fine with the lack of strict adherence to the purist "canon". I thought it retained the essence of what the character is. Snyder took the Superman image and made it more realistic, imo. I could have done with more character development and less CGI battle, but that is just me. what I loved so much about the first Iron Man was how they nailed the Stark persona, and I think the same applies here. Costner was superb, as was Crowe in small but oh so important roles. Even Diane Lane (how do you make her look "old"?) was solid. Without putting spoilers out, what would you have called cringe-worthy?
  • Ranking the new era of Superhero movies:

The Dark Knight

Iron Man
    Man of Steel (though for me these are interchangeable)
    Batman Begins
    Watchmen
    Captain America
    Spiderman
  • Superhero movie rankings... I'm guessing we're sticking to superheroes (eg. Supes, Spidey), not necessarily comic book movies (eg. Kick-Ass). I'll stick to DC / Marvel

1. Avengers
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. X2 X-men United
    4. Spider-man 2 (Sam Raimi version)
    5. Watchmen
    6. Batman Begins
    7. Iron Man
    8. Man of Steel
    9. Blade II
    10. X-men

Mark
  • Milo wrote: »
    I could have done with more character development and less CGI battle, but that is just me.

This, I felt the same, too few actors, too many CGI techs...

Milo wrote: »
    Without putting spoilers out, what would you have called cringe-worthy?

couple of references - "I lost my wingman" Starwars and Top Gun in one reference.

Lois Lane showing up within seconds of very important piece and just the character in general. I love Amy but she didn't nail this part and the director didn't get it out of her.

The only deviation I didn't like was that the body count was in the tens of thousands (mostly implied) but that there was no pain felt by SM for those lives. The actor could have done it. very good development of CK/SM, good parallel to Reeve's first stint without copying it.
  • Fair enough . . .
    Mark, I didn't rate Avengers higher because, though a great summer blockbuster type picture, it did very little in terms of character development. It was somewhat predicated on being familiar with the characters as established already. Not saying that is a bad thing, but it drops the movie down in my rankings because of it.

With that in mind, I have edited my earlier post.
  • So... just back from seeing MAAN

It's a Shakespearian film adaptation, nothing too new or groundbreaking. It's fun for me mostly because of all the Whedon easter eggs... the cast is chock full of Whedon's preferred cast.

The story itself is set in present day (cell phones, guns, etc), but maintains the older "Shakespeak". It takes some more attention, but is not at all hard to follow the story. My friend who's native tongue is not English, didn't have trouble following it. It's fun, it's light-hearted, and the only issues I had with it overall were the same I have with any Shakespeare play (i.e. characters are stunningly easily fooled by anything, mostly due to one person's "word" or "honor" being enough motivation for anything).

Mark