Analyze my hand

I'm just curious to know if anyone would have played this differently and why. Small 1.50 SNG

PokerStars Hand #99558029190: Tournament #742416842, $1.32+$0.18 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2013/06/04 12:03:30 ET
Table '742416842 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 2: koraye (2144 in chips)
Seat 3: canuckgirl73 (1294 in chips)
Seat 4: alex791229 (1325 in chips)
Seat 5: Goosetree (1905 in chips)
Seat 6: nied0bry (2179 in chips)
Seat 7: candy_van (1942 in chips)
Seat 8: Diman_PS93 (1281 in chips)
Seat 9: Ercules (1430 in chips)
Diman_PS93: posts small blind 25
Ercules: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ercules [Ad Td]
koraye: folds
canuckgirl73: calls 50
alex791229: folds
Goosetree: folds
nied0bry: folds
candy_van: folds
Diman_PS93: calls 25
Ercules: checks
*** FLOP *** [3d Jd 4d]
Diman_PS93: bets 100
Ercules: calls 100
canuckgirl73: calls 100
*** TURN *** [3d Jd 4d] [5c]
Diman_PS93: bets 350
Ercules: calls 350
canuckgirl73: folds
*** RIVER *** [3d Jd 4d 5c] [3h]
Diman_PS93: bets 781 and is all-in
Ercules: calls 781
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Diman_PS93: shows [3s 3c] (four of a kind, Threes)
Ercules: shows [Ad Td] (a flush, Ace high)
Diman_PS93 collected 2712 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2712 | Rake 0
Board [3d Jd 4d 5c 3h]
Seat 2: koraye folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: canuckgirl73 folded on the Turn
Seat 4: alex791229 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Goosetree folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: nied0bry folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: candy_van (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Diman_PS93 (small blind) showed [3s 3c] and won (2712) with four of a kind, Threes
Seat 9: Ercules (big blind) showed [Ad Td] and lost with a flush, Ace high

Comments

• I would have bet the flop or turn but I think the end result would be the same
  • (i'm assuming this is not a turbo.)

do you have reads on villains? if no, i'm raising pre here. if either one has shown that they will just call preflop with a monster (like some fish do in the low levels), then preflop call is okay. in general though, i don't like letting people limp into pots especially when i'm OOP for the hand and i have a decent starting hand. preflop i make it 200.

on the flop, what is SB calling pre and betting out with? top pair medium kicker maybe? flopped set and protecting against the flush draw? i don't see two pair here but maybe. either way i'm raising SB here. set will follow along and top pair isn't paying you out a lot anyway (unless they're a huge donk) so it's fine if he bet/folds to you. as played, i probably pot it on the flop and call a push.

you started the hand with 1430 minus the following calls (50 + 100 + 350) leaves you with 930 left. there is no way i am just calling this turn for 350 to create a pot for 1050 and leave myself 930 behind. if i'm calling, i'm all in here. otherwise i'm folding and holding onto my 1280 stack which is still fine at this point. as played on turn, i'm pushing all in.

imo, you played this hand way too passively. yeah you flopped the nuts, but villains are showing you they are interested in playing for the pot. therefore, play aggressive and make big bets with big hands. at this level you could have probably pushed on the flop and the 3s would have most likely called anyway.

river sucks, but you would have gotten your money in good.
  • I would have bet the flop or turn but I think the end result would be the same

This!

You also could have raised pre depending what kind of table you're at, being if you have noticed they fold alot otherwise if they are generally calling (being 1.50 game more likely, but you would be surprised in some games how much they fold) then you played it fine pre.
  • Checking preflop is fine. At the early stages of sngs. Its probably best to play small ball poker. Raising limpers to x4-5 even generally won't get the job done given the relatively stack sizes. UTG+1 limp here could even be as good as KQs-AJo ( maybe QQ+?)Raising here to 200-250 here would create a pot atleast 600+. Which automatically leaves you with awkward stack sizes if you miss cbet and get called. With that in mind plus your relatively badposition checking here is fine imo. Flop call is perfectly fine. Sb could be leading here wide with K-Q of diamonds, top pair + 2 pair combos and sets all of which you beat. Calling also lets utg+ 1 a chance to make a mistake by drawing to a dead flush or raising with an overpair or KJ/AJ type of hand. Sb lets you know he's kinda serious with his hand and we can rule out flush draws with his bet. It becomes clear who HE thinks are the drawers are and how strongly he feels about his holdings. Raising here would be the right play since there are a ton of action killers that could come on the river ( any A,2, 6 ,7 or diamonds) and he still isn't likely to fold the majority of his range which consist of 2pair combos,straights and sets.
  • Thanks! My thought was I played it okay, only thing I might have done differently is jam it all in on the turn. I'm sure I would have gotten a call and been beat on the river anyway but I was just curious to see what others thought.
  • Ercules wrote: »
    Thanks! My thought was I played it okay, only thing I might have done differently is jam it all in on the turn. I'm sure I would have gotten a call and been beat on the river anyway but I was just curious to see what others thought.

ah, i kind of strongly disagree with the other comments in this thread. i'm no pro so feel free to ignore my comments. however, i would like to suggest to not be results oriented. good luck!
  • No worries. It's all good. Just wanted to hear some opinions :)
  • Why start trolling right of the gate? Can't lay low? Costanza at least behaved after fed for awhile before he got all angry hater pot stirring
  • jontm - Who are you talking to?
  • Ercules wrote: »
    jontm - Who are you talking to?

he was talking to fed. fed must have gotten banned...again.
  • Ok, just didn't know what it had to do with this thread :)
  • yeah I assume he got banned and his posts deleted.

A10 I'm basically never raising this preflop OOP. You would almost have to jam to get everyone to fold preflop and if you get called there is only one flop that you 100% love - KdQdJd and it cripples the board. Any other flop and you will be guessing whether you are ahead or not with the others likely holding something that can outdraw you. I think you got the maximum amount of chips in considering your position. At his level 100% no way do you get a set to fold so the end result would have been exactly the same.

A10s is very often way overvalued. There is another thread around here in the last few months discussing A10.