the "rule of 2 to 10"

anyone else ever read about this? i just came across it today for STT strategy but i'm assuming it would work for MTT as well. what do you guys think?

here's how they explained it:
Here's a rule for beginners that provides guidelines on how much of your stack you should risk either raising, or calling a raise, with a pocket pair. When you are dealt pocket twos, through to pocket tens, you should call or raise up to the same percentage of your stack as the size of your pair. So:

2% for 22
3% for 33
4% for 44
5% for 55
6% for 66
7% for 77
8% for 88
9% for 99
10% for 1010

This gives you precise advice for situations that arise in every game. Bigger pairs, starting with JJ, are different from their smaller cousins. With small pairs you will usually need to improve to win. Big pairs can often win without improvement, so if you have been raised, you should re-raise or even move all-in.

Considerations include your position, your stack size, your opponent's stack size, whether the initial raiser is passive or aggressive, and other bits of information you may have gleaned.

When using the "Rule of Two Through Ten", always open with a standard raise of four times the big blind if you have sufficient chips. Otherwise just call the big blind (limp in). For example, with blinds of 15/30 and a stack of 1,400, raise to 120 with 1010, but just call for 30 with 44 and fold 22.

keep in mind that this is just a general guideline and obviously you should be considering villain's tendencies, position, etc. but i thought it seemed pretty decent.

Comments

• Always nice when your opponent telegraphs his hand.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Always nice when your opponent telegraphs his hand.

Exactly what I was thinking! Might as as well play them face up.
    Always nice when your opponent telegraphs his hand.

Guess I'm stupid. How's this showing your hand exactly? Firstly it suggests you can call or raise depending on other info. Also, it's not suggesting that this is the only time to call preflop ever. It's just suggesting the level of aggression compared to your stack size specifically for pocket pairs. Am I missing something? Please explain because I'm slow.
  • Won't take me long to know what you are raising/calling with.
    When using the "Rule of Two Through Ten", always open with a standard raise of four times the big blind if you have sufficient chips. Otherwise just call the big blind (limp in). For example, with blinds of 15/30 and a stack of 1,400, raise to 120 with 1010, but just call for 30 with 44 and fold 22.
    Won't take me long to know what you are raising/calling with.

ah, okay. they are not saying that you should always raise 4xBB with pocket pairs only here everytime. you're misunderstanding because you didn't get a chance to read the whole article. all that means is if you are raising, make the standard raise of 4xBB like your normally would. not sure why they suggest 4x instead of 3x but whatever.

EDIT: and btw hobbes, i really do look up to you poker wise and i do appreciate any advice you can give me. i'd also greatly appreciate a more detailed explanation if you don't mind.
  • here are a couple more examples they give if that helps:

• Blinds are 10/20 and you have a 1,300 stack with 9c9s. Two players limp before you. You limp as well, as does the player on the button. If you had 1010, you would raise to 120, because that is less than 10 per cent of your stack.
    • Blinds are 15/30 and you have a 1,600 stack with 6d6h. One player with a 1,800 stack raises to 120. You are in the big blind and have to call 90 more. You should call, because that is less than 6% of your stack.
    i don't see how playing this way would let my opponent know what my cards are.

in the 1st example i could be calling with 22-99 or a decent number of suited connectors. i also could be raising with 1010+, AJ+ etc.

the 2nd example in the big blind seems like a no brainer set mining. if i do that you just know i have a pocket pair?

again, i might be misunderstanding and/or missing something obvious. i am pretty tired today.
  • I think I see the confusion on others part. The original OP seemed to state that you raise the % of the pocket pair you have. For example, 1000 chips, 15/30 blinds, you have 88, you raise to 80 (8%).
    What the article is saying is keep your standard raise, but no more than the % it suggests. so in the above example, if you have been raising 3xBB, only call with 88 because 90 is more than the 8% you should risk with 88.
    As the article stated, this is more for beginner players trying to figure out what hands to play pre-flop and how to play them.
  • It's probably best to just shove any pair and eliminate the guesswork. :p

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
  • Yeah, I mean all pairs are basically 50% anyway, right?