Why do you.....

surely some of you do this....
Why do people while driving, speed up to not allow another vehicle in to your lane? I drive 5 minutes to get to work, so this isn't a road rage thing. And I drive a vehicle that has my store logos all over it so I have to be a respectful driver.
But I see it so often, it must cause extra wear and tear on your brakes? Is a sense of accomplishment, you showed them not letting them in.
I really don't get the train of thought, what people are thinking?

Comments

• short answer: my dick is bigger than yours.
  • even if that is the case, why being one is a factor i don't know?
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    even if that is the case, why being one is a factor i don't know?

same reason as complete strangers having a fight that starts with "what the fuck are you looking at?" most guys are ego pricks (sorry guys, but you are).
  • I love when this happens and the traffic ahead is not moving (so the person knows they have to stop anyways). More when you are merging from a stop sign etc. into moving traffic.
  • I became a much better and more patient driver while nursing my mini-van through it's final year and a half. It started when I failed the Drive Clean and asked what I needed to do to pass. My mechanic said, "buy a new engine". I no longer jack-rabbit when the light turns green, I begin slowing down well ahead of the bottleneck, and I no longer speed (well, 10k isn't speeding, is it?).

I do not speed up to deny entry to another vehicle, but neither do I slow down and wave someone in, either. when I was taking my truck license my instructor liked to talk about "lines of responsibility" when talking about the lane markings. If I want to change lanes, crossing that "line of responsibility" is up to me. Same thing if someone wants to come into my lane . . . it is their responsibility to do it safely, not mine.

I love coming home up the 410 (from the bottom), watching all these idiots changing lanes every 100 yards, trying to get just one car further ahead, zipping into the lane that is going to end in 300 ft sometimes to do so . . . all so that they can be one car length ahead of me when we both exit at Clark Blvd in Brampton. So much extra gas wasted, not to mention the wear and tear and accident potential. fools.
  • i never had road rage issues until i started commuting to burlington/oakville for teacher's college. almost died a few times on the 403 because of morons. now i have an overwhelming urge to kill bad drivers. so far i've been able to talk myself out of following them home and running them over once they get out of their cars.
  • What's the deductable for I smashed into their vehicle because they are a bad driver?
  • It varies by Policy, but the ensuing lawsuit will probably bankrupt you anyway . . .
  • cross that bridge upon its arrival
  • I drive about 25k/year, mostly highways, for work. The number of people out there who do this is mind-blowing. I have yet to make any sense of it.

Just this morning I was coming home on the 401. Came out of the service centre in Ingersoll, set my cruise, and was on my way. As I'm passing in the leftmost lane (still on cruise) see a guy coming up behind me. Speed up a little so he doesn't have to slow down, and move over. Back to cruising.

About 3 minutes up the road, start coming up on someone. I'm in the middle, they're on the left. I pass on the right (which I HATE doing, but it was 5am and mostly empty), it's the same car as before. As I get beside him, he speeds up to match my speed for a while, then eventually falls back.

I just don't get it. People need to chill out while driving. I don't care if you think your dick is bigger than mine, I really don't. And when I come up on your ass when you're in the left lane going 105, quit the "king of the fast lane" bullshit and move your ass over. It's just stupid.
  • Somewhat related, here in Kincardine we have something called the "Hydro 500". Anywhere between 45 minutes before, or after shift change at the local nuclear power plant this occurs. The nominal speed limit on the roads going to the plant is 80Kph, actual that everyone drives at is 100Kph in reasonable conditions.

During the Hydro 500, if you are on any of the above mentioned roads you'll be amongst a long line of cars riding your ass if you aren't going at least 110Kph. You will be passed, if only to gain the driver a car length. Passing will occur wherever it occurs, be this on a hill or around a curve in the road, etc. This will occur regardless of the driving conditions (heavy snow/ice, darkness, pounding rain, etc.).

Often I wish I would see their headlights sail into the ditch so I can ignore this and carry on my way without offering any form of assistance.