Very odd thread for me to start..

I'm not a religious fella, but...

The new pope Frankie washed feet - as is apparently a tradition - but he included women, and that's upsetting traditionalists. He also in his Good Friday missive recognized and encouraged friendship with "Muslim brothers and sisters", which also pissed off some traditionalists. Further, this guy shuns papal bling and fancy clothes, preferring the simple white outfits of papacy. Some of these things are against church "law" but being that Frankie there is the top dog, he can do what he wants.

Some South American church-y guy Christian Bouchacourt, says that this, among other things the new Pizzle is doing "cultivates a militant humility, but can prove humiliating for the church". Huh.. you know, you'd figure there would be a lot more humiliating things for the church than recognizing women and other religions as valid.

'nuff said

Mark

P.S. - totally not enough said, and I fully intend this to spark arguments (and cool your heels mods, good arguments, not darb/fedstanza quality)

Comments

• If anyone doubts...

I got all of (including the motivation to post) this from CTV news.

Mark
  • Fits with what I've heard about him. Glad to see a pope that doesn't want to bring us all back to 2000 years ago.
  • I said it the day he was elevated to the throne of St Peter . . . this Pope is going to "change" the Church in ways that many will be surprised/shocked at.

He will not change the Churches stance re: homosexuality, marriage of same, women priests. The simple reason is that, though he is the head of the Church, he is bound by dogma. He might start the Church on the road to allowing Priests to marry, but I doubt it.

No, where this Pope will make his mark is in two locations. The first is the Vatican itself, where he will likely make wholesale changes to the bureaucracy that is the Curia. Expect a large number of new faces in key positions over the next 2-3 years. You will likely also see a greater emphasis on "bringing the Church to the people" in terms of better explaining the Churches positions on the things that many wish to see chnaged, but that the Church simply cannot alter without fundamentally changing what the Church is. What I mean is, when discussing homosexuality, the simplistic answer out of the Vatican is that the Church "hates the sin, but loves the sinner". Expect a better approach and outreach from the Pope on this in order to stem the tide of disaffected Catholics in the First World.

the second area of change will be in the way the Church deals with "Foreign Relations". The Vatican is a Sovereign State, and I think the Pope will start taking a more active approach in world affairs, particularly in how the developed world deals with the developing world. Part and parcel of that will be confronting the rise of Islam in the West and Europe. Not in any militant fashion, more likely a return to the Faith as a means of forming a bulwark against Islam's more radical proponents. If a dialogue can exist between the major faith groups in each nation, then the extremists on all sides have less of an opportunity to gain traction. Stalin once asked "how many divisions does the Pope have?" This Pope will have more than any in recent memory.

Lastly, and tying into the former comments, this Pope will be the "poor Pope". As Francis of Assisi forsook his wealth, and the trappings thereof, this Pope will likely direct his Church to the betterment of the Third World. The Church's number are exploding in the Third World (it is why their numbers have not decreased despite losses in NA and Europe). This is where the Pope will be seen as an "agent of change". The Church teaches that we are all our brothers keepers, and I see this Pope demanding more of his people in that regard.

I may be 100% wrong on a lot of this, but I hope not. As a lapsed Catholic, I love my God, but came to despise my Church. I pray that this Pope can bring me back to the fold.
  • Milo wrote: »
    but came to despise my Church.

you should never despise your Church.
  • Perhaps it might be better if I said I despised some of those involved in it. I can understand expenditures like the installation of air-conditioning in the parish church I grew up in, but why was it necessary to purchase stained glass windows for a building built in 1963? Or the many statues and other iconography that sits inside it today? Could not that money have been better spent on charity? My Father's new parish is another example. They recently were vandalized by a fire-bombing. However, my first trip back since they re-opened shows a lot of changes and additions beyond simply repairing the damage that occured. My Father's comment on the matter was that Father Jan wanted to make a few up-grades.

The Roman Catholic Church has immense wealth in it's possession, in terms of art, the written word, and simple precious metals and jewels. Why not put these riches to work for the betterment of mankind? Not saying they should hold a yard sale, but surely some of their priceless art work could go towards easing Third World debt? Or perhaps send it on tour to the museums of the World?
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    you should never despise your Church.

You know the church is a group of people and not a building right? People are despised every day and you think nothing of it.
  • I won't despise the Catholic Church because they spent some money on improving your local church. A lot of those improvements, etc. likely came from individual donations within the local parish. Even if it came from funds raised locally, there is nothing wrong with beautifying your local church.

There are probably ten of thousands (maybe 100,000s) Catholic nuns and priests helping people throughout the world. You can't overlook the work they are doing.

So when you die, will you want a mass held at a Catholic Church and last rites performed by a Catholic priest? or will you be buried in a Catholic cemetery?
  • I will not be buried in a Catholic Cemetery, and do not wish a Catholic mass when I die. I may want final absolution of my sins, but I remain undecided so far. Hopefully I have a little time to make a decision . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    I will not be buried in a Catholic Cemetery, and do not wish a Catholic mass when I die. I may want final absolution of my sins, but I remain undecided so far. Hopefully I have a little time to make a decision . . .

Might as well hedge your bets.
  • The reason I will not be interred in a Catholic cemetery is because my parents purchase familial plots in a Church cemetery in Vaughan, and the Church happens to be Presbyterian. It is a lovely spot that will never have much developed around it due to it's location. So no, not hedging anything.
  • cremation for me. why does my corpse need to take up space? rather let some children have a park instead.
  • Oh, I'll be getting torched as well, once they take a few of the spare parts, etc. But I would like to rest my remains near my loved ones, especially as it will become "one-stop shopping" for my descendants to visit me, my parents, siblings, etc.
  • ah yes, the religious books and dogma of one period become the entertainment of those following. Ra, Thor, Zeus etc. great TV. I'd like to say it will be a good time when the big three are cast into history's dustbin but what replaces it might be a thousand times worse. hopefully it will be people seeing and believing in each other rather than some petulant, sexist, homophobic, murderous disembodied voice in the sky. the gullibility of humanity is staggering. praise Joe Pesci

George Carlin on Religion and God - YouTube

so, as it stands though we are debating the new popish plotter (sorry to go off topic). Seems to be starting out on the right foot in consideration past popes. hopefully his actions will continue in the same vein and he can at least move his people forward to actually giving a shit about each other rather than looking for reasons to damn each other to heck/hell/handbaskets. that and trying to actually make those working for him act as righteous as they claim they are holy.