Mother's Pizza is coming back

For those old enough to remember this chain, someone has bought the brand and the first store is opening in April in Hamilton. Will include the same decor as the old restaurants and they are using the same recipe for pizza dough, etc.

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/879875--mother-s-pizza-rising-again-in-east-hamilton

On Twitter: @Mothers_Pizza

P.S. they are opening April 1 but it is not an April Fool's joke.

Comments

• Wonder if the guys will have to wear the bowlers?

Got my first job as a dish-pig at the Queen St. Mother's in Bramalea. Now, not only is the restaurant gone, but the building was torn down several weeks ago.
  • Funny, back in the day, I was washing dishes at another restaurant for $3.15 an hour. After work we would go over to Mothers for a late night pizza and a pitcher. Good times.
  • Mother's in Kitchener was where we could get served in grade 12. When spares with friends would line up after lunch we'd use it to go for pizza and pitchers during school.

Ah, the good old days.
  • If I remember correctly, there was one on Weber near King St, across the street from the old HiWay Market. Went there a couple of times, always enjoyed their recipe. Nice to see them return, didn't understand what happened to them back then.
  • Because baseball players don't know jack about managing restaurant chains?

Mother's Pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11424_10151781010940884_227878367_n.jpg
  • ernie whitt FTW
  • I remember going to Mothers as a kid for birthdays sometimes....loved the pizza....big pitchers of root beer.
    Mmmmm good :)
  • I always enjoyed the "free" booze out of the walk-in. not to mention the frozen cookie dough.
  • Used to go to the Mother's on King Street in Waterloo where the Chainsaw is now.
  • My minor league hockey coach used to take us out for dinner once a month at Mother's in Barrie.

costanza wrote: »
    ernie whitt FTW

absofarkinlutely!
  • I think I'm the only person here that doesn't remember eating there.
  • Had Mother's in Kingston growing up. I'm pretty sure. I remember it being pretty good.
  • Had Mother's in Kingston growing up. I'm pretty sure. I remember it being pretty good.

+1

best pizza I ever had was at a place called god fathers in Burford
  • Here's how in the dark I am. U had no idea it was a chain. I honestly thought its was a Mom & Pop shop in Kitchener that went under.

Learn something new everyday I guess.
  • We used to make employee pizzas by putting the cheese on last. That way nothing would fall off while eating. yummies . . .

Added benefit was being able to sabotage a pie by hiding a shitload of anchovies under the cheese for staff who pissed us off.
  • I worked at a pizza joint myself, new orleans up in south

ended up getting fired lol, girl who managed it and i used to go in afterhours and make food after we got baked

i ended up moving to nova scotia and dating her for 3 years

#truestory
  • Well since were on the restaurant way back machine, I gotta throw it out there. Ponderosa?
    Ponderosa hits the trail for the final time
  • Yeah . . . Ponderosa still exists in the States, as does the Olive Garden . . . loveed the Olive Garden.
  • Olive Garden still doing good out here.

I remember loving Mothers pizza as a kid.....not sure if it was actually good though.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Yeah . . . Ponderosa still exists in the States, as does the Olive Garden . . . loveed the Olive Garden.

Olive Garden never went away. I've never been. I try and avoid chain restaurants like the plague. And I don't like me no plague.

I recall going to Ponderosa a few times with a friend's family as a kid and really liking their hamburgers. Back then I thought it was a bit fancy.

I do miss salad bars, in general, a bit. They were big when I was growing-up. I remember going to The Keg often and getting iceberg lettuce (haven't had that in years), the shredded white and yellow cheese (I won't assume what type of cheese that was), the real bacon bits and the French dressing. Sometimes a bit of cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes on the side for good measure. Good times.

It's funny what changing perceptions do over time. I assume that most salad bars were gradually removed from restaurants due to health concerns. Now when I see a place with a salad bar a red flag goes up in my mind.

In the 70s we just didn't give a fuck and we liked it that way.

Oddity -- I recall the Wendy's in Guelph had a salad bar when I lived there in the late 90s.

Anyone remember Chichi's? I think it was the only Mexican restaurant back in the day.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Anyone remember Chichi's? I think it was the only Mexican restaurant back in the day.

Yep, remember going to one a few times in, I think, either Poughkeepsie or Kingston, NY circa early 80's? Think they went out of business about 10 years ago after a huge hepatitis outbreak. Don't think they were ever in Canada but could be wrong.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Yep, remember going to one a few times in, I think, either Poughkeepsie or Kingston, NY circa early 80's? Think they went out of business about 10 years ago after a huge hepatitis outbreak. Don't think they were ever in Canada but could be wrong.

I think there was a Chichi's on Fairway St in Kitchener.
  • i will only go if they still have the red and white checkered table cloths, otherwise it's not really Mother's.

fuck i'm old.
  • compuease wrote: »

Was in Canada/Toronto in the late 70s or early 80s as I recall
  • Is there an Olive Garden in the GTA? I know there used to be one near Square One, but I do not even see ads for them anymore.

As for Chi-Chi's, they took over one of the Brampton Mother's locations when the franchise went busto . . . they did not last more than 2-3 years, I think.
  • Was never a fan of Chi Chi's.
    Wannabe Mexican food sucks just about as bad as real Mexican food.

I think all Wendy's had the all you can eat salad bar in the 80's
    I'd guess the real reason they went bye bye is they were a huge money loser.
  • That, or stricter health regs . . .
  • Various buffets, breakfast and otherwise are still around so that way of delivering food still exists so not sure regulations changed. I know what Wendy's did in the day was go from all you can eat salad bar....to one trip to the salad bar....to no salad bar...
  • brunch buffet no matter where you go is top top
  • costanza wrote: »
    brunch buffet no matter where you go is top top

omg costanza. just noticed your avatar pic. lol that's awesome!