Asus, Google Nexus 7 purchase

So, I know we've talked about various tablets on here before and debated whether one was overall better than others. I'm pretty convinced that the Nexus 7 will fulfill all of my needs. Basically I want the thing to do a little surfing of the net, playing P*, playing some music, etc. Don't plan on loading the thing up with a ton of movies/videos.

Just curious as to whether or not people feel that 16Gb on a tablet is enough, or is 32Gb a smarter decision? Again, not planning on playing a mountain of games/movies, etc.

My understanding is that these things don't have a port for a flash memory card, but do come with a micro USB port, so if necessary you could connect a USB stick which would be clunky but in a pinch would suffice.

Reason for asking is that the 16 is on sale today at FS for $200 down from $240. I'm having a hard time convincing wife that we need one of these and this could be a deal breaker.

Never mind... This whole freaking plan just got horribly, masterfully torpedoed broadside today by a $500 brake job on my work van. Coupled with a lovely alternator dying feeling in my wife's car while I was on the way to the bank to get the money for the brake job. FML.

Comments

• I have the 16 GB iPhone, the 16GB playbook, and consider myself a fairly heavy media content user,

However, I've never come close to filling either of them... to be fair, I stream most things through the playbook, and often use it more as a wireless flash drive.

Mark
  • I'm having a hard time convincing wife that we need one of these and this could be a deal breaker.
    Sorry to hear about your car expenses. Your wife is one smart cookie, as a tablet is a cool TOY, but not a necessity for most people. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, 3 different generations of the iPod Touch (gave 3rd one away), pocket camcorder, big screen LG HDTV, LG Blu-Ray 3D Smart TV Player, etc., but I got them all for free as poker prizes or gift; otherwise, I would not have bought any of these toys if money was tight. Some people can't even pay their credit card and other bills, but they keep buying the new electronic toys.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your car expenses. Your wife is one smart cookie, as a tablet is a cool TOY, but not a necessity for most people. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, 3 different generations of the iPod Touch (gave 3rd one away), pocket camcorder, big screen LG HDTV, LG Blu-Ray 3D Smart TV Player, etc., but I got them all for free as poker prizes or gift; otherwise, I would not have bought any of these toys if money was tight. Some people can't even pay their credit card and other bills, but they keep buying the new electronic toys.

Thanks Blondefish. You're also a smart cookie. I actually logged on to the forum at this point as I was about to order this thing and was looking for other opinions. I'm a tech toy addict and wanted a new toy. Very bad habit that I can't afford.

You just created an intervention. Thanks.
  • You just created an intervention. Thanks.
    Damn, there go my Nexus stocks.. Meddling Blondefish...^-^
  • compuease wrote: »

Looking at that post this morning, it's almost as if Blondefish was staring into my soul! On top of that, I'm almost concerned that what Blondefish said sounds terrifyingly similar to what my wife's been telling me for years now.

Either way, thanks again. I needed a kick in the head.
  • Looking at that post this morning, it's almost as if Blondefish was staring into my soul!
    YW. I was actually staring at Kate Upton but that's another story....
    compuease wrote: »
    You should have been shorting Google stock like me & pokerJAH!