Disney World, who's been?

As those of you that have me on FB on twitter will already know, made my first trip to Florida last week and loved it!

Forever we talked about doing DisneyWorld and on my first trip to Vegas actually got sucked into the time share thing. The intent was to go there, but US dollar went do high it ended up being better to swallow a small loss and get out then pay triple value. Plan went on hold for a few years.

With the younger two now 12 & 13 and oldest 21 and making us grandparents in October we figured it was time to make it happen and aggressively put the trip together. I was a bit sticker shocked but managed to pay mostly cash with a bit on credit. I was worried we wouldn't feel like it was worth the price.

Boy was I wrong. I was floored by the positive attitudes and limitless activities. Spent 2 days at Magic Kingdom, 1 at Animal Kingdom, 1 at Disney Hollywood and 2 at Universial Studios. The girls wept several times over the course of things out of pure happiness. Disney played a huge a part in all their childhoods so there were a lot of back stories that really came together.

What have others thought? What were your favorites? (Animal Kingdom here)
I was impressed with cleanliness of parks and organization in general. With a lot of members being in Ontario and that much closer, imagine this is a common destination?

Who's been to both Orlando and California and what would you compare?

Obviously California closer and driving distance so might consider in future, but we wanted the full experience.

Thoughts?

Comments

• the disney waterparks are the absolute best.

We also did MGM and sea world. Enjoyed. Would go back.
  • Wetts, can you post a mini TR on Dubai. On the bucket list but prob just wife and I later in life as airfare alone $$$.

Worth it?

Also agree, will return to try water parks and see Sea World in 5 years is plan. Would spread out longer next go too. wanted to wrestle gator too...
  • went to disney world when I was younger with my parents and sister, and it was the single best vacation we ever had , and we went alot of places

I bet even know that im old that it would still be a blast

Ill definitely take my family there one day

also jon, pics!
  • I've been many times and it is awesome IMO. Even at 40 it still makes me feel like a kid again! Epcot is my favourite park but Animal Kingdom is a close second.
  • jontm wrote: »
    Wetts, can you post a mini TR on Dubai. On the bucket list but prob just wife and I later in life as airfare alone $$$.

Worth it?

Also agree, will return to try water parks and see Sea World in 5 years is plan. Would spread out longer next go too. wanted to wrestle gator too...

Not worth it, take off bucket list. Will post mini TR but the value for $ is just not there.
  • Your daughters are maybe past the prime age for it but a few years ago we took our family to Discovery Cove in Orlando. It was amazing...easily the most relaxing and still fun filled day I have ever spent at a tourist attraction/theme park.

Beautiful place that's daily all inclusive (except for swims with the dolphins).

Absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone.
  • Went for first time in my life in December 2011 with 4 other friends. Other than the 2010 Olympics... Second best trip I've ever taken.
  • We are planning a trip to Florida for early December. Planning to hit DW, Universal (WWoHP) and NASA. Also going to drive down to Miami and see a Dolphins game.

Should be a fun trip for us. My 4 yr old is quite excited.
  • There's a Disney 30min from me...maybe I'll check it out someday
  • Ok, ok, ok. Everyone back up, give me some room. We finally have a thread that I can actually post as the expert in :)

Disneyworld was a one time trip for my family when I was about 10. We were living in Quebec while dad was doing his French language training for the Navy, took a weekend and went down. It was solid. Unfortunately, it didn't wow me like Disneyland. After my last trip to Land in 2006, I had been there 22 times (no, not a typo).

Disneyworld is great if you've got several days as it's easier to break up what you want to see. For the full Disney experience, you just can't beat the original. All the rides scattered throughout the several parks in World are in one giant ass place! They've spread it out a little bit with California Adventure theme park across the street and I know some of the stuff from CA, such as my personal favourite Chattin' With Crush, are now mixed into the World attractions.

For kids, you can't beat being able to see any and every character they've grown up loving. It's pure joy. Even for me as an adult (at least by age) I can never resist getting pics taken with the characters. When we hit Universal Florida (which is a complete waste in comparison to the massive California version, although we didn't hit Harry Potter land while there so I can't guarantee anything about it's coolness factor), they had the Minions from Despicable Me. I nearly lost my shit until I saw the only way to get a pic with one was to wait in line for 75 minutes for the 4D Despicable Me ride, as the costumed dude was at the exit doors of it. Well to hell with that! I waited for a break in the crowd, slipped in beside the dude, got my pic and bolted before they could give me heck for doing it. Alpha was impressed and embarssed :)

Back to task: Disneyland > Disneyworld. That pretty much follows suit for any of the Florida based theme parks that have ones in SoCal. The west coast versions are bigger, with more rides, shows and attractions. Disney anything is pretty f'n amazing, so you really can't go wrong (although I've heard DisneyFrance kinda sucks; DisneyJapan has really cracked out versions of the characters so I'm gonna have to hit that at some point) and kids of all ages will love it.

Oh, and word of advice: don't kick one of the characters in the shin. Even as a 4 year old, they apparently frown on it.
  • Glad to hear everyone likes Florida as much as I did but its good to know California is better value. It's like 3k cheaper for me to go there and if it iseven better...sold!

We would be traveling with grandchildren next time so less jumping around and more fun stuff sounds perfect.

We picked Florida because the two younger kids had a chance to sneak to Disneyland just for the day back in 2009 and because of Potter

Other than WWoHP I wasn't impressed with the Island of Adventure and nearly skipped Studios side, but we loved it when we did go. (Simpsons, Fear Factor, MIB, Shrek, Disaster and Despicable Me.)

As for WWoHP daughter is huge fan and I ended up with 10+ wands. Wife and older daughter also got scared silly on Hogwarts ride and caught in priceless photo of fear. So good people pointed at it and laughed, saying "really?" For rest of day around park.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    We are planning a trip to Florida for early December. Planning to hit DW, Universal (WWoHP) and NASA. Also going to drive down to Miami and see a Dolphins game.

Should be a fun trip for us. My 4 yr old is quite excited.

Better pick this date.

Date: November 18
    Mission: Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN (MAVEN)
    Launch Vehicle: Atlas V
    Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
    Launch Pad: Space Launch Complex 41
    Description: MAVEN will be the first mission devoted to understanding the Martian upper atmosphere. The mission's goal is to determine the role that loss of atmospheric gas to space played in changing the Martian climate through time.

Mars rocket will be a good sized one.
  • Have done Disneyworld twice. My dad use to have a condo in Clearwater Beach, so we use to go down for a week over March break, rent a car and make the 2 hour drive over to Disney. Absolute love the place. Nothing like seeing the place through the eyes of your 3 and 5 year old.

On a side note now that my father has passed away we have lost the use of the condo, so in May we are going on a Disney Cruise. I've done a couple of cruises before but never a Disney one. Anyone ever done a Disney Cruise, and have any opinion on it?
  • I did Orlando Disneyworld with my wife about 6ish years ago, we packed as much as we possibly could into the trip so I don't remember terribly much of it. 5 days, including flight time, we did all 4 disney them parks in 2 days, universal and island of adventure in 1 day, plus a blue man group show and a cirque du soleil show crammed in as well. First and last day were pretty much purely travel all of our trip was done in 3 days. Suffice it to say, we did a LOT of walking.
  • Allow me to be the sole dissenter.

We went to DisneyWorld in Dec. 2011 and I have to say, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Not slammin the place or anything, just didn't do much for me. Maybe it's because I never went as a kid and the magic is not the same when you're an adult. Maybe it's because it got built up so much in my mind that it couldn't possibly meet expectations. Maybe it was the walking....... oh, the walking!

My girls were 13 and 10 at the time, and they had a great time, as did my wife, but they did say that they'd rather go somewhere else next time. i.e. been there, done that, move on.

We were there a week and went all out. We spent an entire day in every park, plus a full day at Downtown Disney, so I think we got the full experience, but all in all, it was just OK.
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    so in May we are going on a Disney Cruise. I've done a couple of cruises before but never a Disney one. Anyone ever done a Disney Cruise, and have any opinion on it?

10%
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    10%

You're offering to cover 10% of the trip? Booked!!