Vegas May 2013

Hi all. I just booked my next Vegas vacation. My wife and I are going the first week in May. Flight is $ 293 plus tax for 2 out of Detroit. Hotel is still up in the air but I'm looking at Rio for $37 per night. Yes I know Rio is off strip but I'm okay with that.

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• I liked The Rio, even though I gained several pounds from the lack of walking.

Make sure to ask the desk for comped pass up to the club on the roof. Beautiful view of the Strip from up there.
  • Hey La,

Im curious to know who you booked with for the flight out of detroit and how much you anticipate parking to be? I have only ever flown out of toronto, in fact most times i get deals flying to LA and then I drive the there and back to vegas. Way more costly than this.
  • Try costcotravel.com for car rental.

I assume LaBeach is going via spirit.com

I usually book a comped room at Caesar's Windsor the night before and park at Airlines Parking for about $10/day or book a room at Days Inn, Romulus which includes breakfast and parking for 7 days. Days Inn Detroit Metro Airport The park and fly package is $69.99
  • Hey La,

Im curious to know who you booked with for the flight out of detroit and how much you anticipate parking to be? I have only ever flown out of toronto, in fact most times i get deals flying to LA and then I drive the there and back to vegas. Way more costly than this.

I can answer that since I and several others of us have done the same thing many time. Spirit Air out of Detroit is the way to go for cheap direct flights.
    Parking at at Detroit airport is about $50. per week and if you like you can always use one of the hotel park and fly's for under $100. for one night stay plus parking for a week.. Shuttle provided to terminal.

*** Edit **** Moose is too fast..
  • most times i get deals flying to LA and then I drive the there and back to vegas.

what's the drive like back and forth to LA? I have a lot of free flights to LA but Vegas is via Chicago typically. Was thinking of heading to LA/Vegas in June for a week and likely play a couple nights in LA and then head to Vegas for four nights. Thanks.
  • The drive from L.A. to vegas is about 5 hours, so if you can sit in the car and drive straight its not that bad. If you get antsy a lot prolly not for you. Going through California towards vegas is pretty cool, some interesting highways in L.A., DO NOT go through rush hour without 3 people in a car, if you cannot use their hov lanes, omg it's a 5-6 lane wide PARKING LOT! That being said, once out of the city, california is beautiful, mountains and winding roads that you would not see here in Toronto or anywhere near, maybe BC?

Once into Nevada, it's pretty flat and boring, so for half the drive its busy and things to see, the other half you need something to keep you awake, 2 lanes in the middle of nowhere. But I like seeing new places and driving so for me it was alright. Except I did them in the middle of the night twice so scenery was even worse and I wanted to pass out.

As for the flights, I was searching up myself and found spirit air. Never heard of them so always cautious about budget airlines but if you all have flown on there and say it is good I will take your word. I was wondering though, when I was looking through the site and looking at booking something, the prices were chepa but then it made it look like you had to pay individually for luggage, nothing was included. Am I mistaken or did I read it wrong?

Also parking doesnt seem to be that bad, in fact its still way worth the trip to detroit than to fly out of toronto. Just don't know I like the idea of leaving a vehicle unattended in detroit for a week :S

As for hotels, I get constant emails from MGM properties advertising really cheap rates at their properties, I dont get comped for anything yet but prices seem pretty fair, like $50 and less a night.
  • Spirit is fine, nothing special, but definitely no frills... You are right checked baggage is extra. I have always used carry on. As far as I know none of us have had any issues with parking cars. You're not planning on parking downtown are you? ;) That drive back from Detroit when tired is rough though.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Spirit is fine, nothing special, but definitely no frills... You are right checked baggage is extra. I have always used carry on. As far as I know none of us have had any issues with parking cars. You're not planning on parking downtown are you? ;) That drive back from Detroit when tired is rough though.

You pay for carry ons at Spirit too. If you can get by with a small duffle bag or knapsack it's called a "personal item" and it's free to stow under the seat in front.

Never had an issue with airport parking and it's a 5 minute covered walk to the Spirit desk if you park in the right area. Have never used hotel parking but for that price would definitely consider it for early morning flights.
  • early morning flights.

This is one of my biggest complaints about Spirit. Three out of the four times I've flown with them to Vegas it's been on that stupid ridiculous 6 AM flight.
  • Sorry all, i didnt realize there were so many responses to my post.

As guessed by others i booked on Spirit. The flight is direct and is leaving Detriot at 7pm and leaving Vegas at 950am. Which isnt terrible times if you ask me.

I've also done the drive from LA to Vegas, it was a great experience, coming out of the desert at night to see the lights of Vegas coming up on the horizon but I wouldnt recommend it as a regular process.
  • I've also done the drive from LA to Vegas, it was a great experience, coming out of the desert at night to see the lights of Vegas coming up on the horizon but I wouldnt recommend it as a regular process.

This was definately a wonderful experience, coming through the nevada hills to see what looks like a glow in the horizon miles away from vegas and getting closer and closer to see all the lights and hotels etc from so far away. It was definately a cool experience, more so at night I would say to arrive in vegas. To do this drive on the regular i would also not recommend as i have done it twice now. California in the daytime was quite nice though. Definately an experience if you have the extra time is worth it, at least if nothing else but to say you've done it.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    This is one of my biggest complaints about Spirit. Three out of the four times I've flown with them to Vegas it's been on that stupid ridiculous 6 AM flight.

Look at it this way - you get into Vegas at like 9am and you have a full day ahead of you
  • No one made you book at that time. The 11:20 am flight is pretty much perfect.
  • Considering splitting my time between the strip and Freemont street. Has anyone ever stayed on Fremont?
  • Considering splitting my time between the strip and Freemont street. Has anyone ever stayed on Fremont?

I haven't, but staying at Golden Nugget is on my bucket list just to go down that waterside that goes thought the shark aquarium!
  • I've stayed at the nugget. The hotel room had recently been upgraded, we were pleasantly surprised the bang for the buck. It was a good experience at Freemont, having said that in 3+ visits to vegas since I have not been back to that area to stay or gamble/ tourist.
  • If you do plan to stay downtown, the Golden Nugget would be the only place I would recommend as well.

I think you can experience pretty much all of Freemont in a day, so if you have a good rate on the strip, it might be better to just cab it there for a day. If memory serves, I think it was $20-$25 each way.
  • Update. Cancelled at the Rio and booked for cheaper at Ballys.

Anyone use airport shuttle service? Any experience with this and do you need to book in advance?
  • Update. Cancelled at the Rio and booked for cheaper at Ballys.

Anyone use airport shuttle service? Any experience with this and do you need to book in advance?

Hope you have time on your hands. Taxi to Ballys = $20 and 10 minutes. Airport shuttle to Ballys, easily an hour.

I used the shuttle my first time in Vegas - never again.
  • Thanks Wetts, this makes sense, i plan to Taxi, I assumed there was a down side to the shuttle.