New Math - is what they mean?

I thought this would be a good question for all the math wizards out there on the CPF.

They have now added math to my duties because the math teacher spoke to much Korean and parents complained a lot. I use to love math as a kid but once we got into algebra and geometry; I got lost and lost interest in math. When I was in teachers college, one of the guys did a lesson on left to right addition and cross multiplication and something he called box multiplication. He got the same answers as I did but my teacher was impressed with his techniques. I thought they were parlor tricks. I have been searching utube and see others using some of these techniques.

Should I invest time in such things with grade two and grade three children? Am I setting them up for tougher times ahead or easier times?

Also, I made a policy NO Calculators in classes 6th grade and under. God or bad.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Prophet22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijuPxHgZAA

Comments

• The no calculator thing is a good idea, imo. Too many people today are reliant on just plugging in the numbers without truly understanding how the machine got to those answers. That lack of understanding manifests itself in so many frustrating ways it is ridiculous. Like when you give the Timmies drive through $5.27 on a tab of $4.17 and they have to think extra hard to realize it's $1.10 in change.
  • What costs $4.17 at Tim's?

Just wondering.
  • Just tossing out some numbers to make my point, which is that when you do something to make the return of "change" easier for the attendant, most of the time it throws them off, makes them think about the math, and then they are lost. My daughter's reliance on her calculator is one of my biggest frustrations with her schooling.
  • I have no idea if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but How do japanese multiply?? - YouTube

There are other interesting/cool "tricks" you can do with multiplication, like the 9x table (up to 9x10) on your fingers.

OK Milo I see your point, but that now begs the question....

How many oz in an XL?
  • That video was neat . . . never seen that before. As to your question, this is a metric country, so ounces are irrelevant (sorry pot-heads).
  • Even in metric countries, I'll bet you dollars to $0.49 donuts that the potheads know exactly how many grams are in an ounce.

Disclaimer: liquid ounces, maybe not.
  • I know for a fact that in the Netherlands, they sell by the gram.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I know for a fact that in the Netherlands, they sell by the gram.

They sell Timmies by the gram?

or do you mean donuts?
  • Doughnuts . . . and other goodies, too.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Doughnuts . . . and other goodies, too.

milo, u blaze??

:o
  • wow did this thread get off topic,

does anyone know of a good site that use a math generator to create your own work sheets
  • I had 2 doughnuts today
  • You need to pay for that . . . mob chick should do you with a strap-on.
  • 'twas my breakfast
  • ,mod, lock it please
This discussion has been closed.