Microsoft Surface Pro ship Feb 9

So what do you guys think? Will this be a hit or just more choices in an already overcrowded market? Thanks Bill for reminding me of this..

Here some initial reviews, etc... Discuss...

Microsoft Surface Pro: The movie | Microsoft - CNET News

AnandTech - Hands on with Microsoft's Surface Pro, Available in US & Canada on February 9th

The Microsoft Surface Pro In A Nutshell | TechnoBuffalo

Comments

• As you and I have been talking about, I kind of think it's relatively overpriced considering what else is out there. I think there are a lot of 'must have new toy' types that have been waiting for this that will buy in. They didn't want to jump into the RT based Surface products with the scaled down OS, which lead to it's underwhelming sales.

Once the initial sales excitement dies the price will likely drop, forcing a price drop in the RT models. Which will likely fall by the wayside in the midterm, leaving a number of orphaned RT owners. MS generally isn't concerned about doing this to customers as seen with VISTA.
  • Not sure if there's much interest in this thing on here, as Comp and I seem to be the only ones talking about it. This article doesn't cast a positive light on the Surface. I'm sure as the initial generation of this product, like most things, improvements will be made in the future.

Microsoft Surface Pro hammered by tough early reviews - The Globe and Mail
  • Is it a Blackberry?

I don't have much use for a tablet...between my phone and my laptop I do ok. My ex had a ipad which was cool for travelling...I'll be sure that my next gf has one as well.

I think the excitement of tablets, etc has worn off and that the market for new tablets in a saturated market isn't that great.
  • Windows RT was another gaff by Microsoft. I'm thinking they were looking to go after the Android tablet market, but I think it just ended up confusing consumers. I'm sure many bought RT tablets thinking they'd be able to run native Windows apps and were disappointed when they could not. They were trying to create a market where there wasn't one. The most compelling reason to run a Microsoft tablet is to run Windows apps. Otherwise why not buy an iPad or any of the Android tablets currently on the market?

The monolithic Surface Pro is another mistake. It's huge, heavy and has poor battery life. There are much better tablets available at a much better price. This is just like the iPod/Zune war Microsoft tried to fight. Near the end of the Zune product cycle, Microsoft had great hardware but it had already lost the war to Apple. iTunes was the key to their success. Microsoft should stay out of the hardware business (although their mice and keyboards are pretty good).
  • I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said Holychow, GTA as well for the most part. I'm not totally sure the excitement has totally worn off though. I'm thinking people still love these things, but want them to be able to do more. MS is trying to accommodate this but failing for the reasons Holychow mentioned. They brought out a tablet that costs more than a cheap laptop, weighs close to as much as a laptop and doesn't have anywhere near the batter life of a regular tablet.
  • I think most tablet users are casual PC users, meaning they mostly surf the net, Facebook, email and play casual games. They likely don't use a word processor or spreadsheet. The exact demographic that would buy cheaper lower-spec laptops.

Let's face it, hard-core gamers need screaming bleeding edge hardware and users needing office suite apps will use a desktop or (more likely) a higher end laptop.

I've used my Dad's iPad and I think it's cool, but not for me. I'd much rather use the combination of my Android phone and laptop. I pull out the laptop when I have to do "real work" or do a lot of emailing, otherwise I can do most the grunt work on my cell.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
  • I think I would definitely fall into the category of casual user. I basically want something I can use to surf the net while sitting on the deck in the summer, and something I can use to help ignore the tv shows my wife watches while sitting on the couch in the winter. I do want it to be able to use the P* app for sure. I also want something small tablet sized. Someone suggested a cheap laptop, but I don't want something that cumbersome.

I'm liking the look of the google Nexus 7 at this point.
  • I was thinking the Nexus 7 as I read your post. It totally meets your needs and Pokerstars has an Android app. The 16 GB is $209.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
  • Has the new Microsoft Surface 2 improved enough? I'm thinking of buying one for my 12-year old for Christmas instead of an iPad Air.
    holychow wrote: »
    Windows RT was another gaff by Microsoft. I'm thinking they were looking to go after the Android tablet market, but I think it just ended up confusing consumers. I'm sure many bought RT tablets thinking they'd be able to run native Windows apps and were disappointed when they could not. They were trying to create a market where there wasn't one. The most compelling reason to run a Microsoft tablet is to run Windows apps. Otherwise why not buy an iPad or any of the Android tablets currently on the market?

The monolithic Surface Pro is another mistake. It's huge, heavy and has poor battery life. There are much better tablets available at a much better price. This is just like the iPod/Zune war Microsoft tried to fight. Near the end of the Zune product cycle, Microsoft had great hardware but it had already lost the war to Apple. iTunes was the key to their success. Microsoft should stay out of the hardware business (although their mice and keyboards are pretty good).
  • When my daughter heads off to post secondary life, she will likely "inherit" my laptop if she needs a computer, at which time I will likely grab a tablet for myself. All I do is surf, and play an EXTREMELY limited amount of on-line poker, so a tablet should suit just fine.
  • A few weeks ago, I read a reasonably interesting article about the new MS Surface. I can't for the life of me remember where though. Tried to find it for you Blondefish, but can't right now.

For myself, I still have dreams about the Google Nexus 7 at some point but Blondefish convinced me (correctly) that it's a luxury item that I do not in fact need. Thus, until I'm debt free I likely won't have one. At this rate, they can probably just throw one in my coffin when I take the final dirt nap.
  • But Android is the consensus pick?
  • Out of our store we've done a few of these, just under $700... Seem decent quality.

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 367927U 64GB Net-tablet PC - 10.1" - Intel - Atom Z2760 1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM - Genuine Windows 8 Pro - Slate Multi-touch Screen Display - Bluetooth
  • Just picked up an Asus Transformer Book T100 series for work a couple days ago since my work laptop is getting ancient and literally starting to fall apart. For $350-$400 depending on where you buy it, it's a great price for a transportable tablet/laptop. That price includes the keyboard and Microsoft Office. It also comes with Windows 8.1 which may turn off some as you can't use Android or Apple apps on it, but the Windows apps store is constantly growing and has over 120,000 apps so far so it's not that bad.

The tablet allows for touch screen usage and/or mouse which is pretty great. You can access the regular desktop or the touch screen menu at any time.

That price is for the 32GB model. There is also a 64GB model for closer to $500 but I just bought a 64GB SD card instead. Quad core processor runs great. For anyone looking for a cheap-ish tablet/laptop I'd recommend it for sure.
  • My son just picked up an Asus Note 8 for taking notes at University. It is 64gb with Windows 8.1 and comes with Office Home And Student. Only $250 at ncix and they are throwing in a bonus power bank. Seems decent for most uses.

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    My son just picked up an Asus Note 8 for taking notes at University. It is 64gb with Windows 8.1 and comes with Office Home And Student. Only $250 at ncix and they are throwing in a bonus power bank. Seems decent for most uses.

I was looking at that one too but it didn't come with a keyboard. keyboard is around $150 extra. if you are fine with writing with a stylus though it's good too.
  • My son ordered a good bluetooth keyboard from Amazon for $30. I see the specific keyboard case for this tablet on eBay for $28. The one for surface pro listed at 150 if that is what you mean.

• pkrfce9 wrote: »
    My son ordered a good bluetooth keyboard from Amazon for $30. I see the specific keyboard case for this tablet on eBay for $28. The one for surface pro listed at 150 if that is what you mean.

yeah you're right.