When to call with a flush draw?

I was playing in 200 player tourney on weekend. starting stakes were 10,000.
Here's the situation. I'm in the small blind. Blinds are 400 and 800. 3 players limp in before it gets to me I just call and the BB checks. I have 8 5 off. Flop comes 746 two diamonds. I check the guy after the Bb puts in 800 2 more callers before it gets back to me. I reraise to 4100. Every one folds but one guy who has 8300 he goes all in. I call I have about 11k. He has QJ of diamonds. He wins the pot on the turn with another diamond. Do you think that was a good play by him to push with a flush draw?

Comments

• Twinkles wrote: »
    I was playing in 200 player tourney on weekend. starting stakes were 10,000.
    Here's the situation. I'm in the small blind. Blinds are 400 and 800. 3 players limp in before it gets to me I just call and the BB checks. I have 8 5 off. Flop comes 746 two diamonds. I check the guy after the Bb puts in 800 2 more callers before it gets back to me. I reraise to 4100. Every one folds but one guy who has 8300 he goes all in. I call I have about 11k. He has QJ of diamonds. He wins the pot on the turn with another diamond. Do you think that was a good play by him to push with a flush draw?

With 12 BB pre Im probably never in this spot but as played I jam flop as well.

So yes, I think he played the hand well (OTF).

As a general statement, the hand seems like a bit of a train wreck.
  • I happily get my chips in on the flop as well! You may want to evaluate his short-stack, pre-flop play instead.

In the meantime, check out this thread: http://www.pokerforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11192
  • with 2 overcards, a flush draw and a bunch of limpers, very hard to put you on a flopped straight. Best bet maybe top pair anyhow, a shove could either get a fold and even if you hit it very strong, the semi bluff can still turn into the best hand as such happened. Heres something that I am always conscience of in spots like that, if you re-raise instead of flat calling there with the nut straight there, than you could potentially be played back at by draws, sets etc, and be sucked out on. however, by flat calling and seeing the turn and re-evaluating, its harder for someone to dump their stack on a 1 card draw. It will still happen, but you flopped the nuts so to speak with that current board, why not slow down given how much is in the pot, a 2 pair hand is likely to call in that spot as well given pot size. my .02!
  • he has 2 shots at 9 in 47 cards or 38% to hit the flush.(forgetting the overs, that you might fold (you really can't) etc.).

there is 9600 in the pot (if my math is right) plus your 4200 to call so I jam it for sure with the draw. (easy to say after wetts already got in)
  • I think his jam was bad. 5 limpers x800 = 4000 preflop. utg bets 800 gets 2 callers = 2400. Gets back and you repop to 4100. Total pot 10500. Gets back to him and he has 8300 left. By shoving he has no fold equity against you. And is still getting less then 2:1 on his money. with such a large checkraise theres no way hitting an overcard can be good. So it was a bad play. If he had reraise UTG's bet off 800 to 3-4k. Then call your shove it would be a good play as he would be getting great potodds. You played it right just got unlucky.
  • anhdy wrote: »
    I think his jam was bad. 5 limpers x800 = 4000 preflop. utg bets 800 gets 2 callers = 2400. Gets back and you repop to 4100. Total pot 10500. Gets back to him and he has 8300 left. By shoving he has no fold equity against you. And is still getting less then 2:1 on his money. with such a large checkraise theres no way hitting an overcard can be good. So it was a bad play. If he had reraise UTG's bet off 800 to 3-4k. Then call your shove it would be a good play as he would be getting great potodds. You played it right just got unlucky.

since there is no fold equity the implied odds are much better than 2:1....jam it.