Straddle

What's the point? How do you adjust to it?

Comments

• Straddle drives action.

Open up your ranges.
  • Personally I like this play, even though its technically -ev. It can however create +ev on certain tables like loosening up nits. And as mentioned above, great for creating actions. You must be comfortable playing a wider range pre and understand your hand value post flop.
  • I ended up stacking off against a guy who straddled. Took his $300 buy in. First experiences with straddle were good. :)
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    I ended up stacking off against a guy who straddled. Took his $300 buy in. First experiences with straddle were good. :)

It's just a blind bet, there's not much to adjust to imo
  • Mississippi straddle seems to be catching on here as well.
  • Ran into a button straddle for the first time in Calgary a few months back...I got looked at like I was an idiot when I didn't know what the hell was going on..got the "everywhere does it"..Umm...no, no they don't. Vancouver and Edmonton don't..that's everywhere to me...

So now..in the BB I am already having to put money in blind..but now I have to make a decision to put in further money without the benefit of any table info... Good thing I am low limits I guess..
  • At aria room they allow utg or button straddles
  • Am Iunderstanding this correctly? with a Button straddle, action immediately reverts to the Blinds before progressing as normal? In other words, action proceeds with SB, BB, Button straddle, followed by SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, etc.

Do I have that right?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Am Iunderstanding this correctly? with a Button straddle, action immediately reverts to the Blinds before progressing as normal? In other words, action proceeds with SB, BB, Button straddle, followed by SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, etc.

Do I have that right?

Yes
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Yes

No. sb goes first and action proceeds around table to button.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Am Iunderstanding this correctly? with a Button straddle, action immediately reverts to the Blinds before progressing as normal? In other words, action proceeds with SB, BB, Button straddle, followed by SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, etc.

Do I have that right?
    moose wrote: »

Yep, Moose has it....possibly because I am not used to it..but it seems the most ridiculous thing.. At least normally (utg straddle) the BB has some table info before having to act..
  • double post.
  • but then again the button straddle isn't live if someone raises before the button right? so it's basically just a blind button raise that gets a chance to act after the bb?
  • moose wrote: »

Didn't he say SB, BB, button straddle, SB, BB, UTG? So SB does go first...my assumption was that SB, BB, Button straddle was just the posting of blinds and straddle.
  • IDK, it was written wierd but Milo said action and in that case the action starts with sb and goes around to button.

The button straddle is always live, if someone raises in front of button, he still has the option to reraise, how could it be dead?

It is such a huge advantage to the button, I really can't think of why you wouldn't make use of it. However, it doesn't widely happen in Vegas and I usually forget myself when I'm down there.
  • All straddles in deep NL games are +EV if you are comfortable squeezing the right players in the right spots with ATC...button straddle is more +EV given that you get to squeeze and then act last on every street.
  • last week playing 1/3 at Aria. A guy UTG straddles to $6. I'm in the cutoff with Ah 10h, and I raise to 20, I fully expected BB to call cuz he plays almost every hand and protects his BB everytime. Everyone folds except Straddle. Pot is $44
    Flop Kh. 7h. 2s. He checks I bet 25. He calls.
    Turn Ad. He Checks. I bet 40. Call.
    River 3h. He checks. I act like hate the heart. But reluctantly bet 100. He goes all in. I beat him into the pot which was $600. As he mucked and left he said had a small flush.
    Pretty sure this guy isn't in the hand if doesn't straddle, not likely playing small suited cards from UTG.
  • You realize that acting like you hate a card and then betting the river is a huge tell?

He was a bad player, it doesn't have much to to with the straddle.

If you think he is stacking with a small flush in that spot and not normally playing small suited cards in EP then you are likely sorely mistaken.
  • you realize it was 1/3 right?
  • that's my point
  • He's not picking up on any tell, he is the type to consider only his cards, he's not thinking what I might have. Once he had a flush draw he would of called any amount on any street.

Agreed he was a bad player. But he did not play every hand, I doubt he played the type of hand he described from UTG. So my point is the straddle cost him his $300 buy in.

If he was the bad player we believe that he is, why the straddle? Is he trying to portrait being a better player, someone at the table said after he left that "He straddled, thinking he was on poker after dark"
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    ...then you are likely sorely....

The only thing I was sore about was that he left and didn't rebuy.
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    He's not picking up on any tell, he is the type to consider only his cards, he's not thinking what I might have. Once he had a flush draw he would of called any amount on any street.

Agreed he was a bad player. But he did not play every hand, I doubt he played the type of hand he described from UTG. So my point is the straddle cost him his $300 buy in.

If he was the bad player we believe that he is, why the straddle? Is he trying to portrait being a better player, someone at the table said after he left that "He straddled, thinking he was on poker after dark"

So, why give off major tells if he is shoving anyhow?

I'm not certain the point of your post. Is it a warning not to straddle? You don't think terrible players straddle? If you are a good player a straddle is +EV in deep games, if you are bad it is -EV. He was bad so it was -EV.
  • So the Button (assuming he straddles) waits until the action proceeds from the Blinds all the way around the table, and then acts on his straddle. Is that clear enough? Really trying to get my head around this . . . seems odd.
  • Come to Vegas and get it straight. Leaving Feb 16. Just sayin'.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    So, why give off major tells if he is shoving anyhow?

We made our evaluation of his calibre of player based on how thecentire hand played out. I didn't know he would shove.

I'm not certain the point of your post. Is it a warning not to straddle? You don't think terrible players straddle? If you are a good player a straddle is +EV in deep games, if you are bad it is -EV. He was bad so it was -EV.

I guess my point is straddling got this guy in a lot of trouble that he wouldn't have from utg otherwise.