Fundraising Poker Tournament & Dinner in Brampton/Mississauga

I've been asked to post this for a new forum member who wasn't sure on what was all required. I've spoken indepth with the organizer and concluded this would be a worthwhile event, and agreed to post it on her behalf.

Fundraiser Dinner and Poker Tournament

Date: Jan 26 2013
Time: 6:30pm dinner, tournament starts at 7:30pm
Location: near the Hershey Center on the Brampton/Mississauga border (PM for exact location)
Buyin: $75 includes dinner and expenses (professionally dealt)
Starting Stack: 2000 chips
Rebuy: $20 for 2000 when below 500 chips (this MAY change though at my recommendation), unlimited for first hour
Addon: $30 for 4000 chips at end of first hour
Blinds: 20min, blind structure to follow

Details of the prizepool breakdown will follow as this is still being figured out, but I have recommended 50/50 split with the fundraising group. I've also recommended rebuys permitted at <2000 chips to generate more action. We'll see how this flies with the organizers.

There will be door prizes, raffles, and 50/50 draws as well throughout the event to be won. One door prize I know of right now is a texas mickey!!

Hall can host up to 200 players, currently 40 players have signed up.

Proceeds to go towards an accident victim who has suffered through being pinned by another driver and has almost lost his leg. This gentemen is currently in hospital and has been informed that his cost to stay will be in the neighbourhood of insanity (approx $25k per day). He is without income since the incident and will need special equipment installed at home to get around.

I know the cost/payout structure is out of whack abit, but at this time, with so little time left to change anything, there's little that can be done. I still think this may be a worthwhile event to attend for those that are prepared for it.

I've agreed to help out as much as I can, so if you have any questions or concerns, please post them and between myself and inch227, we can do our best to answer them for you.

Possible cash game to start as well, but at this time, I have no idea on what the limits will be. When I know more, I'll let you all know.

Comments

• Wow, that is absolutely a shocking situation AJ. Why don't they just tell him it's going to cost a million bucks a day? If this guy hasn't already done so, I'd say he needs to get in touch with a relevant advocacy organization. In BC there was an organization called Persons with Disabilities that had volunteer lawyers that helped people out and represented those with no/low income in court/tribunals, etc.
  • Free health care isn't cheap obviously.

I don't know all the details of the incident or what is being done at this time. I'm sure inch227 can fill in some blanks though if you're interested. Like I said, I've talk to her in depth about the event, and agreed to assist by posting it here to see if we can generate some more players for the event.
  • Why does he have to pay for hospital stay?
  • I believe its because he is self employed and his insurance company has stated they have covered as much as they can...not sure...hope inch227 can help more
  • Hey AJ, Have someone contact me, I used to be an Auto Adjuster and Accident Benefits adjuster, handling injury claims. I just want to make sure he is getting what he is entitled to.

I have paid for renovations to someone's home who was wheel chair bound, rehab, assistive devices, vocational re-training, etc.. Ontario has the richest auto injury benefits in the world, this situation sounds ridiculous.
  • Sign me up AJ
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Why does he have to pay for hospital stay?
    Okay my laptop is playing games on me here so hope this works Gary was in the accident on Oct 12/2012 and his stay at Sunnybrook was a hard one very little health care providers there depression not eating and 5 surgeries to save his leg. Unfortunately our health care system cut backs by our wonderful govt has limited us. So Ohip has turned around and said we dont care that you havent gotten out of bed and that your wound is still open and infected we cannot provide you and more time in the hospital so you need to go to an extendicare facility so they moved him and then he had to go back to sunnybrook due to infection and then back to extendicare there has to be someone there with him most time to help him wash go to the washroom etc! So now they are saying beep your time is up no more money in the ohip pool even though we dont want you standing on that leg yet( not that he could anyways) but guess what you have to go home and the lawyer and insurance company have gotten involved saying well we can push for you to stay but it will cost you 25K approx a day or week or whatever and if we win the law suite it will come out of that money. Needless to say he may never walk again so ...welcome to Canada and our wonderful health care system
  • Thankyou DJGOLFCAN I am overwhelmed with the responses and that people still care! Geez and I thought people didnt care because I am struggling to sell tickets. FYI from what I have been told the insurance company went to his apt and they have ripped out the carpeting and are putting flooring down for his wheelchair. But right now the chair will not fit into the washroom if he comes home. So his ex wife might have to take him to her home which is a bit difficult. As I told Aj there is a twist to this hole thing is the saturday before his accident the man who he drove private limo for , for many years passed away and now he has no income and all his savings has been covering his expenses and rent. What I am asking is if anyone can come I would appreciate it I have worked hard on this fund raiser on my own with very little knowlege and a bit of info from a girl I work with I think it is a very worthy cause and maybe when I hand him a bank draft it will take him out of this funk he is in. All I can tell you right now is that he is the kindest giving person I have ever met in my life and I would like to help him as he has helped others. As for the insurance company and lawyers they are doing the best they can and its hard to fight the health care system and what has gone on with the clawbacks
  • 2 seats left then sold out if you are interested email me at inch227@hotmail.com