Ancestry search

Was thinking of trying to find out more information on my relatives from the England and Ireland. Have details on my grandparents back to 1888 when they were born but like to try and trace back a couple generations.

Has anyone used any of these ancestry services before? are they worth the money or does it result in a lot of dead ends? what are the best sites? how far back have you been able to trace your family history?

Comments

• Hey,

I have a friend from University who does a lot of geneology work. I can send you a PM with her contact information if you want. She does have her own business tracking geneology, but she could probably also send you information on what is good and bad out there.

Al
  • You could PM mr blonde on p5's , he used
    To look up peoples past for free as a hobby

Tell him SR247 sent ya
  • DataMn wrote: »
    Hey,

I have a friend from University who does a lot of geneology work. I can send you a PM with her contact information if you want. She does have her own business tracking geneology, but she could probably also send you information on what is good and bad out there.

Al

sure, any help would be appreciated. Want to try and minimize the $$ if possible. More looking for pointers on which sites are helpful, especially for UK/Irish decendants. Thanks for the help!
  • My brother's been using myheritage.com for a while now. He seems to enjoy it and has found it useful. I haven't really fiddled with it much, but he appears to have found more than I would have expected in terms of ancestors from Europe, etc.

Pretty sure they have a free version as my brother's pretty cheap and wouldn't pay for it. I remember there being a premium version you pay for as well.
  • I would at least start with ancestry.co.uk and see what you can find for free. If it looks promising you can decide if the cost is worthwhile to see more.

I've used the free parts of ancestry.ca before and got some decent info.