Total Nit? or Fold of my Tourney?

Final Table of a monthly game, winner take all with deals made. Prize pool $750.
We are 6 handed of a 10 handed final table. Blinds are 500/1000, I'm utg with AKo and 25k in chips. I raise to 3200. 2utg shoves and the rest of the table folds. 2utg has me covered and there are 2 shorts stacks with around 10bb. For the record I hate AK. I am positive he has a medium pair because his move meant he didn't want to see any other cards, which was his style all night. So I'm racing for my tourney life to "hit". After I tank I fold face up and the discussions begin. Now I'm here to hear your thoughts. I know I'm "supposed" to call, but the outcome was I ended up finishing in 2nd place for cash instead of possibly busting in 6th. My reasoning was three fold. One, there was only 1500 in the pot before my raise. Two, racing for tournament life, and three, I'm 3rd in chips with 2 shorts stacks about to bust. I chose to wait it out and folded. I feel like it was 50/50 Nit or Life saving.:-\

Comments

• You need to win flips sometime.
    Good a place as any.

Don't be results oriented.
  • I know I'm "supposed" to call, but the outcome was I ended up finishing in 2nd place for cash instead of possibly busting in 6th

Not to be mean but this is pretty much the thread in a nutshell. Also, you raised AK to 3,2x and folded at a 6 handed table which seems too nitty to me
  • Good fold, you cashed for second place...if it was your goal to cash and not win outright then you made the correct decision. If you wanted to outright win the thing then I would have made the call. Just my 2 cents
  • My left brain was fighting with my right brain to snap call. I realized later of course but i just wasn't "feeling" it. I went on instinct this time.

Look forward to more comments. Love learning.
  • I'm ok with the fold, you're most likely behind, getting your chips in when ahead is always more lucrative. What is your style or reputation with villan?
  • The villain has a rep of shoving when he doesn't want to see a flop. I was playing pretty tight and he knew my utg raise was strong. He had a pair so I was racing.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Not to be mean but this is pretty much the thread in a nutshell. Also, you raised AK to 3,2x and folded at a 6 handed table which seems too nitty to me

You're not mean. I folded with 22bb left and was happy to play on. Especially 2 hands later when the short stack got it in with AKo vs 88 and lost.
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    I'm ok with the fold, you're most likely behind, getting your chips in when ahead is always more lucrative. What is your style or reputation with villan?

If you're not getting your money in behind, you're doing it wrong. :D
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    If you're not getting your money in behind, you're doing it wrong. :D

You sound like my buddy Dom, just before he calls your All in there's a speech "I know I'm behind...." that's when you know you're in trouble...lol
  • The fold wasn't the problem, it was folding FACE UP. Never, never give your opponents free info.
  • I agree with Johnnie. Having said that I find in live play showing a fold often enduces a show from player taking it down. But it sounds like he knew villian had a middle pair. So showing to fish for info not required in this spot.
  • lol at knowing short stack had a middle pair. Short stacks (<10BBs) have to shove wide. KQ, KJ, AT+, and all pocket pairs. We are crushing most of that range and a coin flip against the rest. Its winner take all, get it in.
  • You're not mean. I folded with 22bb left and was happy to play on. Especially 2 hands later when the short stack got it in with AKo vs 88 and lost.

This is irrelevant - separate hands, separate sitauations, and the outcome does not determine the correctness of a decision, certainly not when its the outcome of a totally different hand. Would have thought you made a bad fold if the other guy had hit with his AK?

In your spot, assuming your read was correct and you were racing, the math suggests it was a bad fold, however, situationally I think its a good fold. I dont call off my stack in that spot believing I have to hit to win. If I'm sitting out of the money, or it"s truly winner take all, then different story.
  • its funny how I remember a similar thread when someone was talking about 33 in a similar spot saying "I knew he had AK or AQ when he shoved cause he only shoves when he doesnt want to see a flop so I ended up folding to avoid a flip, my question is: Would it have been correct to call and flip since we were sure we were flipping"
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    lol at knowing short stack had a middle pair. Short stacks (<10BBs) have to shove wide. KQ, KJ, AT+, and all pocket pairs. We are crushing most of that range and a coin flip against the rest. Its winner take all, get it in.

He was not short stacked. He had me covered. If he was I certainly would have snap called.