Las vegas may long wknd

Hey all,

Just looking for some tips on the best time/way to book this vacation.
Looking at 6 of us going down and staying thurs thru sun.
We would like to stay at a 4+ hotel, but would like to get for best price (obv)

Looking at packages now, its about 1000-1100 at the wynn may 16-19.

Is it better to wait?
Is it better to book flight and hotel seperately?
Apreciate your help!

And yes, this will be my first time.

-Mo

Comments

• We would like to stay at a 4+ hotel, at the wynn may 16-19.

Like how you roll :) I usually like to book separately just so I have more flexibility. Better if certain people need to come and go on different dates. Personally, I would hold off to book the hotel for now until they have a good promo. Sign up for their email promo offers. You can always book the hotel now and cancel down the road if you get a better rate. I would also consider Pallazzo which often has a $129 rate promo. It is a 5 star hotel and connected to Venetian.

For airfare, its hit and miss. I usually wait for seat sales which come up pretty often. Westjet has a good promo on their Visa right now. Cost $99 but they give you a $99 roundtrip companion flight and $250 Westjet credit. If any of the six can qualify, can basically get one flight free per person. I usually fly on points.

Hope that helps.

WestJet Rewards | WestJet RBC MasterCard
  • If you are chopping on a room(s) then definitely do not get a package.
  • I always book separately, and if I had to pay for a room (I usually use up comped rooms when I get a chance) I would book through hotwire/priceline. Hotwire is easier, less hassle than priceline if you don't know what you're doing. There are sites that also help you figure out what hotel you are getting before you book on Hotwire based on the amenities.

For flights, I would just check day to day since the price always changes. Connecting flights are always cheaper with any of the US based airlines, but if time is an issue, it will definitely cut into your Vegas time.

I always rent a car in Vegas, it's super cheap, and Vegas isn't that hard to get around, especially if you know the back roads since the Strip traffic is really annoying. You can always book your car rental, check every week, if the price drops, re-book and cancel your old reservation. I know at least expedia.ca lets you do that.
  • Palazzo is nice I've stayed there a couple times...and slightly more central than Wynn...it is also connected to the V poker room, which is my favorite place to play so I may be a bit biased in that regard.

I usually just book through expedia and also check directly on the hotel's website for other promos/rates. I find that expedia is usually the best rate or close to it and I can't be bothered wasting my time comparing rates on 100s of sites.

For flights, SWest is great if you live in Cali:)
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I usually just book through expedia and also check directly on the hotel's website for other promos/rates. I find that expedia is usually the best rate or close to it and I can't be bothered wasting my time comparing rates on 100s of sites

I would suggest hotels.com in the future. They will match any other site's price and you get a free night after 10 nights booked. They often beat expedia as well on price.

Wynn/Venetian much nicer end of strip IMO.
  • Call the hotels directly for the best price.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I would suggest hotels.com in the future. They will match any other site's price and you get a free night after 10 nights booked. They often beat expedia as well on price.

Wynn/Venetian much nicer end of strip IMO.

I thought expedia owned them so I never bothered checking, but will do so in the future
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Call the hotels directly for the best price.

Really? Ive never done this. Ive always booked some kind of comped rate through total rewards.

Are the comp rates even better by calling direct?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Really? Ive never done this. Ive always booked some kind of comped rate through total rewards.

Are the comp rates even better by calling direct?

From my experience, yes.
  • Sometimes they will work a little magic for you. Sometimes they just match online or aren't interested in helping. Be aware total rewards charges a $20 booking fee for call ins unless you ask them to waive it. ie. had some trouble with the online site etc.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Like how you roll :) I usually like to book separately just so I have more flexibility. Better if certain people need to come and go on different dates. Personally, I would hold off to book the hotel for now until they have a good promo. Sign up for their email promo offers. You can always book the hotel now and cancel down the road if you get a better rate. I would also consider Pallazzo which often has a $129 rate promo. It is a 5 star hotel and connected to Venetian.

For airfare, its hit and miss. I usually wait for seat sales which come up pretty often. Westjet has a good promo on their Visa right now. Cost $99 but they give you a $99 roundtrip companion flight and $250 Westjet credit. If any of the six can qualify, can basically get one flight free per person. I usually fly on points.

Hope that helps.

Well its not how i always roll. Its a group of guys that all grew up together and we are turning 40 this year.
    moose wrote: »
    If you are chopping on a room(s) then definitely do not get a package.
    Good point-we will have 2 a room or more depending on finances
    JohnnieH wrote: »
    Call the hotels directly for the best price.
    will do
  • I really failed on that first quote from the multi quote reply.
  • Probably will fly direct since its only a 3 or 4 day excursion. Buffalo or Toronto?
  • Probably will fly direct since its only a 3 or 4 day excursion. Buffalo or Toronto?

It depends where you stand financially and where you live.

Is it marginally cheaper to fly out of Buffalo? sure.

But I would rather spend the extra $100 - $150 to not have to deal with driving to and from Buffalo ( I live in the GTA ).

But I would rather spend the extra $100 - $150 to not have to deal with driving to and from Buffalo ( I live in the GTA ).

Plus it's direct. South West out of Buffalo is cheaper, but usually there's usually a stop somewhere like Dallas-Fort Worth or Chicago.

I've always flown direct with Spirt Air out of Detroit, but getting there from KW is inconvenient and absolutely brutal driving home. I think next time I will look at flights somewhere in ON.
  • All good suggestions, Buffalo can be quite a bit cheaper, sometimes 1/2 especially mid week. Southwest also flys Buffalo-Vegas non-stop at least 2 flights a day.
    Definitely book hotel/flight/car separately, always better imo...

Also use Matrix - ITA Software to find flights.. best around..You can't book it from there but to compare it's great. Once you find the flight just book it directly with the airline involved... note that Southwest flights do not show up on that site however.. You have to go directly to their website. Parking is also much cheaper in Buffalo... Weekly rate is like $55.

Also keep in mind going Thu-Sun you will pay a premium for both flights and hotel... Best is Sun-Thu...

I think thats legit. Your time has to have some value. Not going to drive the 3 hrs round trip (without delays) plus fuel to save 100$...plus i'm lazy.
  • plus i'm lazy.

I was going to say this, but, it pretty much sums up how I feel about not flying out of YYZ.
    I was going to say this, but, it pretty much sums up how I feel about not flying out of YYZ.

Well from Milton it is pretty much a wash as far as time goes..
    Home to Buffalo, 1 hr 30 min, park and get through security max 30 min.
    Home to Pearson, 30 min, park, get through customs plus security, easily 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.

For me it is pretty close to a wash, just way less hassle..

Plus if you get to the gate 30 min ahead in Buffalo you are fine, try that at Pearson.. Only variable is border crossing times.. As long as you are avoiding peak times or holiday weekends and check ahead that shouldn't be more than 10-15 min.

Also if more than one person is travelling the savings is multiplied...
  • Haven't seen flying out of London, ON mentioned here yet.

That's the way we went last time. From Kincardine, it was great.
  • Wouldn't want to hike back from Buffalo after a vacation. I'm spoilt, $5 bus ride on 407 and home in 20 minutes to Richmond Hill from Pearson.
  • Haven't seen flying out of London, ON mentioned here yet.

That's the way we went last time. From Kincardine, it was great.

Direct? How much?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Well from Milton it is pretty much a wash as far as time goes..
    Home to Buffalo, 1 hr 30 min, park and get through security max 30 min.
    Home to Pearson, 30 min, park, get through customs plus security, easily 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.

For me it is pretty close to a wash, just way less hassle..

Plus if you get to the gate 30 min ahead in Buffalo you are fine, try that at Pearson.. Only variable is border crossing times.. As long as you are avoiding peak times or holiday weekends and check ahead that shouldn't be more than 10-15 min.

Also if more than one person is travelling the savings is multiplied...

WAT!

I travel. A lot. both domestically and Int, and I have never spent over an hour going through customs at Pearson.

Domestically for a 7am flight I leave my house around 6am.

Internationally I usually leave my house 90 minutes advance.

If you Park n Fly at Pearson the shuttle takes forever though.
    WAT!

I travel. A lot. both domestically and Int, and I have never spent over an hour going through customs at Pearson.

Domestically for a 7am flight I leave my house around 6am.

Internationally I usually leave my house 90 minutes advance.

If you Park n Fly at Pearson the shuttle takes forever though.

I used to, now it's just vacations but have you ever flown out of Buffalo? Kinda like flying out of Hamilton, just so easy.. Do you really believe Pearson is an easy place to fly out of as compared to almost any other airport you can think of... Agreed it's physically closer... That's about the only advantage... And WAT right back at you... :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    I used to, now it's just vacations but have you ever flown out of Buffalo? Kinda like flying out of Hamilton, just so easy.. Do you really believe Pearson is an easy place to fly out of as compared to almost any other airport you can think of... Agreed it's physically closer... That's about the only advantage... And WAT right back at you... :)

I would LOVE to try to fly out of Mount Hope Airport. Whenever I go there for work I stop at the Tim Hortons at the terminal and its a ghost town.
  • RIght now booking May 16-19 out of Buffalo looking at 575/person taxes in for flight and 4*hotel. Booking seperate right now is a wash. I suppose calling the hotels directly would be better than advertised price?
    Same packages out of Pearson are +250/325 per person.

Anyone have any reviews of the Monte Carlo? or MGM?or Hard Rock. Probably leaning Monte depending on what say the crowd who has seen/stayed/played there.

Thanks again,
    M
  • I would avoid Hard Rock, way out of the way. MGM is nice but huge. Takes 10 minutes to get to the main road. Does have a good poker room if you like 1/2. If I had to choose, likely go with MGM. I think Monte Carlo is central. MGM is also good if you want to check out Ki.

Have you priced out Planet Hollywood versus these? Right on the strip and perfect for a guy's trip.
  • We are leaning towards MGM. Over the phone they are quoting 320$ for the 3 nights (includes resort fees/taxes) per person.

It's kind of a headache getting all 6 or 8 of us to agree, but part of the group is leaning towards Aria.
  • We are leaning towards MGM. Over the phone they are quoting 320$ for the 3 nights (includes resort fees/taxes) per person.

It's kind of a headache getting all 6 or 8 of us to agree, but part of the group is leaning towards Aria.

And that's the reason to not use packages... especially this far ahead. You will pay a premium and lose flexibility..

$100+ a night is a rip off for MGM - rooms are not that nice IMO.

If you call the ARIA and ask for the poker room manager (Kathleen), you may be able to get a poker rate on the rooms there, if you play enough poker per day to qualify (6 hrs). She's usually in M-F, 9-5 Vegas time.

The poker rate is around $100 - $130 per night, depenmding on the nights, but the rooms are MUCH nicer than MGM - and so is the poker room.

I don't know if the rates are same with 2 to a room, but worth checking out.