remote car starters

the wife hates the cold. Was thinking of getting her a remote starter for her Ford Focus.

Any tips or suggestions about brand and installation?

Comments

• my mother uses a brand called 'husband'. you can get them for free.
  • Mother in law was talking about these last night. They got one (don't know brand), took it to Toyota dealership for install. Dealer's mechanic said he wouldn't install it as Toyota believes they are harmful to their vehicles for some reason. Said it was company wide policy.

...and yes, the hubby brand is reliable for fear of retribution.
  • trigs wrote: »
    my mother uses a brand called 'husband'. you can get them for free.

boom
  • fkn pussies living in Ont. needing car starters...you would never survive in Alb.
  • A car starter is a car starter, its just the bells and whistles, remote unlock, alarm..., etc. If you do it yourself make SURE you get the appropriate wiring schematic. If you cut or even ground out the wrong wire you can set your air bags off ( which in some cars makes them a write off ) or other not so fun stuff to your car's ICM or CCM. If car is still under warranty and it's not done by an approved rep and your have totally unrelated problems down the road, there gonna fuck ya.

Just shop around, pretty sure future shop and like best buy have package deals going for like 3 hundo for basic kit/installation. But then again C tire has the do it yourself kits for like 75. Good Luck
  • This is exactly what I do for work. More specifically, I'm mobile, servicing only dealers, the main (and only) reason dealerships say to stay away from these, or that they will 'void your warranty' is because they aren't getting a 'cut' of the profits.

When someone buys a car and they request a r/ starter or other electronics, the dealerships call us to install them, we do it, charge them, then the dealer charges the customer, obv with a mark up.

Getting back on topic, find a reputable shop that specializes in this, also preferred brands of starters would include , autostart, prostart, polar start, compustar just to name a few
  • Most of the car talk type shows I listen to say that remote starters shorten the life of the battery, and related electronic components. Do not know if this is true or not, nor do I care. Me, I am too cheap to burn the gas letting it idle in the drive (I have also heard that doing THAT is bad for the engine, but who knows?). Why not just use a block heater? Even my '09 Nissan came with one.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Most of the car talk type shows I listen to say that remote starters shorten the life of the battery, and related electronic components. Do not know if this is true or not, nor do I care. Me, I am too cheap to burn the gas letting it idle in the drive (I have also heard that doing THAT is bad for the engine, but who knows?). Why not just use a block heater? Even my '09 Nissan came with one.

I think the wife didn't want to be cold, thus warming the interior of the car not the engine block prior to entry was the priority. Myself, I'm going to be trying out the block heater in my new ('07 new to me) van this year. Everyone I've ever talked to said that letting your car idle in the lane for a period was good, not only for the engine, but the transmission as well.

When the trans died in my other van last winter, the tow guy asked "You don't just start the damn thing and slam it into gear and start driving do you?"
  • Most shows about cars will tell you that is exactly what you do. Modern engines do not require "warm-up" time. Also, the block heater idea will mean that the heater will be blowing hot air into the cabin almost right away, so her delicate parts will not freeze. Alternatively, tell her to wear gloves (yeah, it's closing in on 20 years, so IDGaF).

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motherearthnews.com%2Fask-our-experts%2Fcar-engine-warm-up.aspx&ei=f5S5ULf_NIjg2gWnqoGQBg&usg=AFQjCNHAus4wifT484wEeivfx4ttXwqAwQ&sig2=edVs3Pd35eUZZoJfOOiJnw
  • My F350 came with one off the lot? I use it all the time, great for warming the truck up before the kids get in it..don't have to wander out, fire up the truck, leaving the kids in the house.
    I remember when I lived in the Yukon...we never used car starters...just never shut the vehicle off...lol