Pissed at Epson

So...about a year and a half ago, bit the bullet and bought a wide format (13x19) Epson Workforce 1100...which of course, they wouldn't sell us in Canada, so got it out of the US and also bought the CIS (continuous ink supply) at the same time.

It has been a bit finicky at times because of the CIS, but nonetheless, a good printer..did up lots of photos, flyers, brochures, etc.. Using not even 2 full bulk supplies of ink. Super cheap way for anyone that does lots of printing I might add..

Today, printing more brochures...get a message that says the ink pads have reached their service life.. Go to Epson site, and they recommend just replacing the printer...WTF?? Replace a 500 buck printer after a year and a half? They say replacing the ink pads can be done, but it's costly and of course no one in Canada does it for that model as it isn't available here...

I did find a reset utility and just reset the counter (another bullshit factor on Epson..and maybe other printers?) These counters don't care how much actual ink is in the cartridges, or how much ink is in the inkpads...they just time out after X number of prints...

Time to start looking for another wide format printer I guess...any recommendations??

Comments

• Canon Pro printers ftw.

They are costly (my i9900 cost $700 about 5 years ago and is still going strong) but great quality.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    So...about a year and a half ago, bit the bullet and bought a wide format (13x19) Epson Workforce 1100...which of course, they wouldn't sell us in Canada, so got it out of the US and also bought the CIS (continuous ink supply) at the same time.

It has been a bit finicky at times because of the CIS, but nonetheless, a good printer..did up lots of photos, flyers, brochures, etc.. Using not even 2 full bulk supplies of ink. Super cheap way for anyone that does lots of printing I might add..

Today, printing more brochures...get a message that says the ink pads have reached their service life.. Go to Epson site, and they recommend just replacing the printer...WTF?? Replace a 500 buck printer after a year and a half? They say replacing the ink pads can be done, but it's costly and of course no one in Canada does it for that model as it isn't available here...

I did find a reset utility and just reset the counter (another bullshit factor on Epson..and maybe other printers?) These counters don't care how much actual ink is in the cartridges, or how much ink is in the inkpads...they just time out after X number of prints...

Time to start looking for another wide format printer I guess...any recommendations??

I am having the same problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g Series. The ink bags have a third of ink in them and the colour is garbage. I haven't decided if I am going to have one shipped here or try and buy one here.
  • Why would a big company like Epson not make stuff avail for Canadian consumers?
  • Well, the boys at inkjetcarts.us fixed me up...sent me a reset link as well as a video on how to make a new waste container simply. Should be good for go for a long time again. If you ever need a continuous ink system, Ross at inkjetcarts is a great guy to deal with. Haven't had any issues with that portion of the system, and it's a super cheap way to buy ink.

Still pissed at Epson.