KK facing a check raise

No info on my opponent

PokerStars Hand #89110443526: Tournament #638723091, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (40/80) - 2012/11/11 22:50:47 ET
Table '638723091 80' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: PrinceYendor (7610 in chips)
Seat 2: SamuelJTorr (1200 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: iNSANEDAKING (8310 in chips)
Seat 4: dallamark (5623 in chips)
Seat 5: daniburla (2540 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: ryan1111 (5280 in chips)
Seat 7: colorhunter (6840 in chips)
Seat 8: priqito82 (4320 in chips)
Seat 9: Cg lechugin (3000 in chips)
priqito82: posts small blind 40
Cg lechugin: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ryan1111 [Kc Kd]
PrinceYendor: folds
SamuelJTorr: folds
iNSANEDAKING: raises 80 to 160
dallamark: folds
daniburla: folds
ryan1111: raises 320 to 480
colorhunter: folds
priqito82: folds
Cg lechugin: folds
iNSANEDAKING: calls 320
*** FLOP *** [6c 9d 5d]
iNSANEDAKING: checks
ryan1111: bets 800
iNSANEDAKING: raises 800 to 1600
ryan1111: ? ? ?

Comments

• powwwwwwwwwwwnd it

Mark
  • He got 10s.

raise raise raise
  • re-minraise to induce..
  • Reraise to 3200, I put him on JJ, or 10 10.
  • Just know that we are never folding here. Players show up here with TT, JJ, QQ, random flush draws and str8 draws too often. Personally, I think a min raise back to him looks too strong, so I just shove it in.
  • put ur monies in
  • i bet a little less on the flop. 600-700. I prob flat to keep all bluffs in. If he checks turn I shove most cards probably.
  • Nobody thinks he could be check-raising with a set? I know lots of players that would have played a small to medium pocket pair the same way.
  • RWPKRPLR wrote: »
    No info on my opponent
    holychow wrote: »
    Nobody thinks he could be check-raising with a set? I know lots of players that would have played a small to medium pocket pair the same way.

Without any more player info, we're not folding here. Time to break your wrists.
  • lol not folding here

if he hit a 2 outer on you or he gets there, then GG

#jbl #ontothenextjuan
  • holychow wrote: »
    Nobody thinks he could be check-raising with a set? I know lots of players that would have played a small to medium pocket pair the same way.

You need to put him on a Range not on a specific hand
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    You need to put him on a Range not on a specific hand

Understood. As the hand progresses you should be narrowing that range.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
  • As GTA says, you have to range this.. You essentially are playing effective stacks of 10-11 times the preflop raise amount. His odds of hitting the set on the flop is 1 in 8, so thats about 12%, chances of him having a over pair to the board are quite a bit greater than that, some small % he has a draw, and another small % he has air. Too likely he doesn't have a set and he shouldn't have been calling 10% of his stack to set mine imo so get it in any way you can. If he has a set so be it.. If you were quite a bit deeper, different story. With no history I don't see how you can play it any different.
  • Thanks everyone! Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a obv. fold. I'm glad I'm on the same page as most here...

While thinking through the hand, I thought he had TT, JJ based on his position. I ruled out most draws thinking he would flat here. If he had made a set, I was moving on to the next one.

So this is how it played out.....

ryan1111: raises 3200 to 4800 and is all-in
    iNSANEDAKING: calls 3200
    *** TURN *** [6c 9d 5d] [Ks]
    *** RIVER *** [6c 9d 5d Ks] [8h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    iNSANEDAKING: shows [6h 6s] (three of a kind, Sixes)
    ryan1111: shows [Kc Kd] (three of a kind, Kings) ryan1111 collected 10680 from pot
  • While I'm gald it worked out for you, the result is irrelevent. Poker is a game of decisions, as long as you make the right decision, given the available information, the result doesn't matter.
  • Most players tend to over-play their bigger pairs so I'd be surprised if the villain actually would of had tens or jacks. Given the stack sizes and the situation, most players would have re-shoved tens or better to action behind.

The check min-raise looked very fishy to me. Not enough to bet the hero out, but enough to allow the hero to go over the top and commit all his chips. The villain likely put the hero on a big overpair (the hero did re-raise preflop) and hoped that he'd shove.

Most players semi-bluffing with straight or flush draws in this situation tend to overbet, trying to take the pot down.
  • "Too likely he doesn't have a set and he shouldn't have been calling 10% of his stack to set mine imo so get it in any way you can. " I disagree. 10% to set mine is a good strategy, particularly in this kind of low buy-in, fast blinds tournament. It wouldn't be a good idea in the early rounds of a $250 tournament with 40 min blinds.
  • EdtheTed wrote: »
    "Too likely he doesn't have a set and he shouldn't have been calling 10% of his stack to set mine imo so get it in any way you can. " I disagree. 10% to set mine is a good strategy, particularly in this kind of low buy-in, fast blinds tournament. It wouldn't be a good idea in the early rounds of a $250 tournament with 40 min blinds.
    Umm, you posted this "after" (3 months after) seeing the results... Easy to do..^-^
  • compuease wrote: »
    Umm, you posted this "after" (3 months after) seeing the results... Easy to do..^-^

As I was reading it I thought of 'set mining' as a possibility and wrote my comment based on the type of tournament etc. The result is interesting, but not not relevant to anyone's decision in this case. It probably just confirms that the hand "pretty much played itself". :-)