Mac help, please..

So, my wife is getting back into playing online. Not a superuser, doesn't play a ton, I have no clue about mac hardware, etc.

Having probs with getting a good connection with P* for some reason wirelessesly. Endless disconnections. We bought her a new mac mini a while back for close to $1k. Supposedly it's supposed to connect to web with no probs via wireless. We're having probs.

She's going back to using her old mac laptop, which originally gave her probs and created frustration. It's doing so again.

I want new machine to work wirelessly obviously, but I have no clue what to do or check for. Any tips?

Causing frustration. We don't need that.

Old Dlink router. Works fine hardwired to my machine, no disconnections (very new), have no clue what to do at this point.

Pon Pon Pon, SOS, Ship in distress.

Comments

• Problems with a Mac? I'd say you got Jobs'd . . .
  • Im on an imac (wirelessly) and don't have this problem. Sounds like you need a new router. How old is your house-led paint etc? If your floors away from the device it might lose connection.

Good luck
  • Im on an imac (wirelessly) and don't have this problem. Sounds like you need a new router. How old is your house-led paint etc? If your floors away from the device it might lose connection.

Good luck

+1.

Did you run the Network Diagnostics? This should pinpoint the problem.

Take the Mac to a Starbucks or someplace else with free WiFi and try to connect there. Obviously if it works, it's not the computer.

If that doesn't work, call your ISP.

Good luck
    "How old is your house-led paint etc?" Ah, I just got it, lead paint. I was wondering what led lights had to do with paint. I'm not being sarcastic here. We have no paint in the house. Wood walls. Stained.

We have one floor, 850' total. Her Mac mini is about 10' away from wireless router.

I would say we need a new router, but my machine never has problems.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    +1.

Did you run the Network Diagnostics? This should pinpoint the problem.

Take the Mac to a Starbucks or someplace else with free WiFi and try to connect there. Obviously if it works, it's not the computer.

If that doesn't work, call your ISP.

I'll try and find network diagnostics on the mac. I'm not mac savvy.

Johnnie, it's Kincardine. We have no Starbucks!:D Mac mini isn't a laptop or portable.
  • "How old is your house-led paint etc?"

Yeah sorry about the spelling. You will notice my reply at 4:53 am...the time my 17 month old son is ready to start his day...
  • Well you just know my 1st reaction is to get a mans machine with win8 on it. :). I 2nd the suggestion to try a new router. Or perhaps try a firmware update for the existing router?
  • dude, u shoulda gotten a dell
  • costanza wrote: »
    dude, u shoulda gotten a dell

So helpful. Not!
  • When we were talking about a new machine for her, I was soooo close to converting her to the PC world. Then at the last minute she kind of freaked out about the thought of not having her fluffy, puppy cute, happy all the time Mac world comforting her like a warm blanket. We got the mac mini and I get to do tech support in an environment I have no clue about.

That being said, we are where we are in this situation. So, we just have to deal with it.

I would try the firmware update you mentioned Comp, but this router hates my guts. At one point I tried resetting the password for it and somehow it got screwed up. I spent the next 8 hrs in one of the most hateful rages just trying to get the thing back working again. My dog Bob wouldn't even come in the room where I was working on it. He laid on the other side of the house staring at me with that scared dog look on his face.

Maybe I'll just try stringing a huge ethernet cable from the stupid thing to her studio and see if that works better.

Ok, tried the cable while she was playing on P*. Getting connections of 60% to 99%. Still crappy.

Will be investing in a new router this weekend. Any opinions on a reliable one for under $100? In reading reviews online, once again the interweb does absolutely nothing but confuse. One expert review says a particular Linksys is great, another says it's garbage and won't even do a good job as a doorstop.

Good example:
    http://wireless-router-review.toptenreviews.com/linksys-e1000-review.html

Well, pulled the trigger and went with this one:
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-d-link-dual-band-wireless-n-cloud-router-dir-826l-dir-826l/10212292.aspx?path=e5d7352e1a17d96be38fb9ebd0cbd19den02

Found more positives than negative comments. That's a start.
  • compuease wrote: »
    So helpful. Not!

Steve_Dell_Ad.jpg

this guy tho