AQ in mid position, facing 3 bet

We are 12 away from the money. Should I just ship it pre, or take a flop ?

PokerStars Hand #88989332521: Tournament #655010425, $5.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (400/800) - 2012/11/09 15:46:34 ET
Table '655010425 124' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: saorehov (12255 in chips)
Seat 2: Ø-borsheim (5973 in chips)
Seat 3: @Helges@200 (8629 in chips)
Seat 4: xBambRx (25954 in chips)
Seat 5: Rhineturn (2729 in chips)
Seat 6: djgolfcan (18986 in chips)
Seat 7: hauptschule (21442 in chips)
Seat 9: figgyan (14060 in chips)
saorehov: posts the ante 75
Ø-borsheim: posts the ante 75
@Helges@200: posts the ante 75
xBambRx: posts the ante 75
Rhineturn: posts the ante 75
djgolfcan: posts the ante 75
hauptschule: posts the ante 75
figgyan: posts the ante 75
Ø-borsheim: posts small blind 400
@Helges@200: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to djgolfcan [Qs Ac]
xBambRx: folds
Rhineturn has timed out
Rhineturn: folds
Rhineturn is sitting out
djgolfcan: raises 800 to 1600
Rhineturn has returned
hauptschule: raises 2000 to 3600
figgyan: folds
saorehov: folds
Ø-borsheim: folds
@Helges@200: folds
djgolfcan: ??

Comments

• i hate spots like this near the bubble. any reads on villain? has he upped his aggression around the bubble? i think it's very read dependent here. i might even fold this to certain villains.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i hate spots like this near the bubble. any reads on villain? has he upped his aggression around the bubble? i think it's very read dependent here. i might even fold this to certain villains.

No, first three bet from this guy. I'm not worried about the bubble, just what the correct play is.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    No, first three bet from this guy. I'm not worried about the bubble, just what the correct play is.

why mention bubble then lol? i just figured that the info you supplied was important in your decision.

are you a strong post flop player? your stack size is very close to a push imo. not sure if we're deep enough to warrant a call OOP with this hand.
  • trigs wrote: »
    why mention bubble then lol? i just figured that the info you supplied was important in your decision.

are you a strong post flop player? your stack size is very close to a push imo. not sure if we're deep enough to warrant a call OOP with this hand.

All valid points, thus the reason I posted it.
  • I doubt the bubble comes into play as far as widening his 3bet range in a $5 mtt where you are still 12 from the money.

So, it becomes fairly easy if you can assign him a range (I could live, but I am assuming it is wider online...you would know better than I would) and look at your odds and have a plan if you hit tptk or an ace on the flop. I'm too tired to do the math but it's something around 2k into 7500 to call so I can't ever see finding a fold preflop...shoving vs calling would again depend on ranges, how often you get paid when you are good and how often he stacks you when you aren't good, etc

Pretty sure most online players are going to say shove given how wide online ranges are in this spot
  • Personally I like to 4 bet in this spot. I'm thinking 5400. This will help define his range. This being close to the bubble your raise is les believable to regs. He is the bigger stack at the table and can put pressure on the middle stacks. If he jams at best you flipping and more than likely AK or a premium.
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    Personally I like to 4 bet in this spot. I'm thinking 5400. This will help define his range. This being close to the bubble your raise is les believable to regs. He is the bigger stack at the table and can put pressure on the middle stacks. If he jams at best you flipping and more than likely AK or a premium.

then what's the difference between a 4bet and a shove if you are calling a shove anyhow?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    then what's the difference between a 4bet and a shove if you are calling a shove anyhow?

inducing retard theory.
  • what was the purpose of the min raise here?
  • Just fold.

Hands we dominate aren't likely to 3bet unless the villain is aggressive. Given that this is villains first 3bet, unless we have been really aggressive and villain has decided to take this opportunity to play back, I can't see us having the dominant hand here often enough.

Another reason fold is there are 2 villains here who can bust us, and this guy is one of them. And if we just call, villain has position on us.

If you think you have some fold equity 4bet to 6k. If villains ships it on us, we are likely crushed and should fold....but 4bet folding is puke inducing, hence my tendancy to just fold and find a better spot.

Villains 3 bet range is likely 1010+ and AQs+ (as this is their first 3bet), given that, we don't have great equity vs that range.