string bet

I messed up.
86 player freezeout. At level 9 blinds 600/1200, 55 players left.
I'm running short stack of 3000ish. I'm in the BB, CO calls. I've been playing super tight, not playing any hands for about 2 orbits. I look down at A4s, I ship. CO calls with KJo, he flops a king I river an Ace. Much needed double up.
Next hand I'm small blind. As I'm stacking my small pot of chips it is folded around to me, I look down at (i'll note later). As i'm stacking my chips I string them out as a bet, I didn't declare all in. BB says that is a string bet. I didn't realize I did it, but he was right I did string.
So I react, saying ok. I call and I'm all in blind on the flop. I wanted to still look like I was showing some strength.
So BB has better then avg stack of 20K gets to see flop of Q95 rainbow. BB has J9o.
I hope this all makes sense.
Should he call? Would he call my all in if I didn't string? I edited the level.

Comments

• yes yes yes yes yes

yes
  • My question is how did you get down to 2 1/2 BB's? Eventhough you doubled up you have little or no fold equity.
  • compuease wrote: »
    My question is how did you get down to 2 1/2 BB's? Eventhough you doubled up you have little or no fold equity.

I've been playing super tight, not playing any hands for about 2 orbits
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    I've been playing super tight, not playing any hands for about 2 orbits

ahhhh, understood... Tight is right, right?

Seriously though op, when you get that low if I am in the BB and invested, I'm calling you very very wide...
  • compuease wrote: »
    ahhhh, understood... Tight is right, right?

Seriously though op, when you get that low if I am in the BB and invested, I'm calling you very very wide...

ATC. no way i'm folding to 2 BBs even if you show me aces.
  • Your stack being what it is, I would call you even if the Dealer screwed up and only gave me ONE card.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Your stack being what it is, I would call you even if the Dealer screwed up and only gave me ONE card.

maybe I'd fold if I got one card only AND he showed me aces, but you never know
  • Why is it such a instant call of 5.5 bb?
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    I messed up.
    86 player freezeout. At level 6 blinds 600/1200, 55 players left.

So BB has better then avg stack of 20K gets to see flop of Q95 rainbow. BB has J9o.

Should he call? Would he call my all in if I didn't string?

if 20k (16BB) is better than average stack w 55 players left this is very much a turbo with small starting stacks.

So to answer your question, once he hit the 9 on the flop with only 1 overcard, yes he should call.
    Preflop allin, would be read dependent, but with this structure and stack sized, you need to be shoving ATC here, and he needs to call very wide.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    if 20k (16BB) is better than average stack w 55 players left this is very much a turbo with small starting stacks.

So to answer your question, once he hit the 9 on the flop with only 1 overcard, yes he should call.
    Preflop allin, would be read dependent, but with this structure and stack sized, you need to be shoving ATC here, and he needs to call very wide.

10,000 starting stack. So with 55 players left an average stack is over 15,000. So 20,000 is better. It was actually level 9. I agree on calling once paired on the flop.
    I guess my main question is if I didn't screw up stringing, would / should bb call a 5.5 bb all in. Given my tight play as his read. I think he has to let it go.
  • Assuming you did not string bet, and shoved pre for approx. 6k in chips (5bb), then look at it from the other side. He doesn't really need to look at his hand to know that your range is pretty much anything in the deck bar the jokers, so you have to figure a "call" is coming from anything that he can rationalize with.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Assuming you did not string bet, and shoved pre for approx. 6k in chips (5bb), then look at it from the other side. He doesn't really need to look at his hand to know that your range is pretty much anything in the deck bar the jokers, so you have to figure a "call" is coming from anything that he can rationalize with.

Fair enough. I just can't see a range he can put me on to rationalize a call with J9o.
  • As others have pointed out, with 5BBs your range consists of 52 cards . . . seriously, with that stack are you folding J8 suited?
  • I thought for a second we had 2 BB's here. with 5 it's still an super wide call for the BB if you shove pre, he doesn't need to be ahead of your range to call

He has to call about 4,8k more to win 12k so he needs to win 40% of the time. Unless you're only shoving like A10+ and pocket pairs he has to call, and there's no way he can assume that you're that tight no matter how tight you've been for this one single tournament. I don't have pokerstove on this computer so I can't really run the numbers better

edit: also, from villains perspective with short stacks in play you might want to err on the side of calling too much rather than folding too much since folding too much is most likely the bigger mistake of the two
  • On the first hand, where you are in the BB, you don't even need to look at your cards before shoving...
  • I <3 live poker