raise/calling w/ AA

6 max turbo. still first level of blinds - 6 hands in. i'm dealt AA in MP. standard raise and get reraised by villain (1st hand he's played).

PokerStars Hand #86717696678: Tournament #619507014, $3.19+$0.31 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2012/09/25 15:37:20 ET
Table '619507014 1' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: billouras (1480 in chips)
Seat 2: ItsAJosh (1490 in chips)
Seat 3: Illusion225 (1470 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: CarbonR (1470 in chips)
Seat 5: m_dolens (1470 in chips)
Seat 6: robbi105 (1620 in chips)
billouras: posts small blind 10
ItsAJosh: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to m_dolens [Ad Ac]
Illusion225: folds
CarbonR: folds
m_dolens: raises 40 to 60
robbi105: folds
billouras: raises 155 to 215
ItsAJosh: folds
m_dolens: calls 155

in a turbo, i'm normally playing pretty aggressive and i usually don't like calling. however, i'd like to hear some comments on this action. pros and cons of reraising vs. calling here.

Comments

• In early stages I don't call with AA, in later stages I do add in calls and slow play monsters due to higher rates of opponents stacking off light.

With a 1500 starting stack, I would prob go for a value shove, works great in turbos and his larger than normal 3bet size is suggesting he wants a big pot.

Nobody folds 88+ AJs+ pre in turbos so if you suspect they have that, not losing any value going for a stack
  • Just ship it in early.

You care getting called by most PP, AT+ and broadway
  • actyper wrote: »

Nobody folds pre in turbos

fyp :)
  • thanks. yeah that's how i normally play it as well especially since winning even a somewhat decent sized pot early in a 6 man turbo can make a huge difference towards controlling the table and winning. so i'm fine with taking it down with a 4bet shove here in most cases.
  • btw, here's the rest of the hand (in white below):

*** FLOP *** [5c Kh Ks]
    billouras: checks
    m_dolens: checks
    *** TURN *** [5c Kh Ks] [3c]
    billouras: bets 240
    m_dolens: calls 240
    *** RIVER *** [5c Kh Ks 3c] [9c]
    billouras: bets 355
    m_dolens: calls 355
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    billouras: shows [As Ts] (a pair of Kings)
    m_dolens: shows [Ad Ac] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
    m_dolens collected 1640 from pot
  • trigs wrote: »
    btw, here's the rest of the hand (in white below):

*** FLOP *** [5c Kh Ks]
    billouras: checks
    m_dolens: checks
    *** TURN *** [5c Kh Ks] [3c]
    billouras: bets 240
    m_dolens: calls 240
    *** RIVER *** [5c Kh Ks 3c] [9c]
    billouras: bets 355
    m_dolens: calls 355
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    billouras: shows [As Ts] (a pair of Kings)
    m_dolens: shows [Ad Ac] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
    m_dolens collected 1640 from pot
    Whoa whoa!...as mtt strategy students, imo its important we don't give the rest of the hand any validation. ^-^

I'm shoving too, a large portion of the villains 3bet range will call your shove and shoving looks like AK to fish and regs alike. We need to get value from our strong hands to offset our coolers. One thing I don't think we should do is 4bet raise it up, because it looks too strong. This is something most of us realize, but we have to get used to using corollary questions "If 4bet raising is too strong for AA, what hands would we do that with?"

So against certain types of regs that might lay down 99 TT JJ AQ AK I might raise up AK to make it look stronger, this has the added advantage of players flatting and folding there equity on some flops.

Against bad players though we are jamming aq and ak just like Aces.
  • This is something I've given quite a bit of thought and testing, even though I play the hyper-turbos where this situation doesn't often come up.

I'll typically play big hands (KK, AA) very slow when blinds are small compared to the stack size. Give them enough rope to hang themselves. Even when blinds are high and it's push/fold poker I'll often min raise (but never limp), to catch inexperienced players or to provoke a TAG multitabling rock into a resteal.
  • I call here also. It under represents our hand and allows us to bait villain into making a mistake.

I probably also donk most flops that don't look like they crush villains range and hope for spazz. 4betting here allows villain to get away and we lose value (if they semi-competent and can find the fold button).