GG Sam the Record Man

Who hasn't bought an album from Sam the Record Man?

GG sir, RIP

Sam The Record Man founder Sam Sniderman dies at 92 - thestar.com
Sniderman’s passion for spreading Canadian music started in his youth; he began selling records out of his brother’s radio shop in 1937 at the age of 17. Sniderman’s family fostered the young man’s love for music, eventually changing the name of their College St. store, Snider Radio Sales, to Sam The Record Man in the mid 1950s.

In 1961, Sam The Record Man moved to its iconic Yonge St. location. It was there that the legendary music vault became a musicians’ hangout. It was the place to be on Boxing Day, with a multitude of gimmicks and giveaways, and for midnight record releases. Indeed, the 40,000 square foot library of LPs, 45s, reel-to-reels, eight-tracks, cassettes and CDs quickly became one of Toronto’s defining landmarks.

Comments

• was just going to post this... Practically lived at his Younge St store in the late sixties when I was "learning" at Ryerson... He had a hoppin place back in the day... rip Sam.
  • I was degening back in the 80s thanks to Sam. There is something to be said for record stores. Good times....
  • I started my collection of Jazz albums from Sams downtown TO store. I had a book called the 100 greatest Jazz allbums and wanted to collect them all.

I'm at around 60. Maybe I should start this up again.

GG Sam.
  • I had a part time job at the bramalea city centre sam the record man right before i left for university.
    See ya sam
  • Movo . . . around what years? Was Richard still there (tall, beard, glasses . . . instantly new where any album was, no matter how obscure). Used to live at the Sam's in the City Centre.
  • never listened to a record in my life

gg tho
  • costanza wrote: »
    never listened to a record in my life

gg tho

Shouldn't you be playing poker?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be playing poker?

why dont you try and stay on topic in a thread for once in your life?
  • costanza wrote: »
    never listened to a record in my life

gg tho

yes, yes you have. you listen vekked and the boys spin and mix.....records man.

They sound better than CD's and will last longer.

Sam was the man and his shops were iconic.

GG sam. one of the few celebs I've never met that I was a little sad when I heard they passed. you could just go in there and read the walls all day. So many gold/platinum albums given to the shop and so many signatures scribbled here and there.
  • StRM will always be special to me as it was host to one of the best moments of my life in 1998:

69698_10150339306860324_5797812_n.jpg

Eddie Van Halen and your's truly.
  • Used to go down to Dundas and buy cassettes there in the 80s
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    StRM will always be special to me as it was host to one of the best moments of my life in 1998:

69698_10150339306860324_5797812_n.jpg

Eddie Van Halen and your's truly.
    Who is who? Are you the long haired guy? LOL, jk.
    That must of been pretty cool to meet him.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Movo . . . around what years? Was Richard still there (tall, beard, glasses . . . instantly new where any album was, no matter how obscure). Used to live at the Sam's in the City Centre.

I think it was around 93 or 94. I know nothing of this man you speak of.
  • Yeah, he was probably long gone by then. He was there forever, from when I first was in the store with my brother in the early 70's (KISS - Alive $3.99 door crasher special was my first purchase), right up until I pretty much stopped buying music in the late 80's, call it 15 yrs.
  • My very first piece of music i ever bought was there. The 12 inch single david bowie lets dance. I was probably around 9.