**The Official NHL Labour Dispute Bitching Thread**

I will admit that NHL hockey isn't my favourite sports entertainment. But being a red-blooded Canadian, I do enjoy the NHL especially during toward the Stanley Cup run.

Now I need this explained to me: The League makes money, right? Most of the teams make money. I know some don't and/or don't make very much.

I know some of the players are lavishly overpaid, but most earn a modest sum compared to other top level sports, considering they could possibly being playing for almost 10 months and their sport is very hard on the body physically.

So why can't the League/Owners and the NHLPA come to an agreement on a new contract?

Discuss.

Comments

• JohnnieH wrote: »
    So why can't the League/Owners and the NHLPA come to an agreement on a new contract?

greed.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

Because fuck Gary Bettman, that's why.

Or greed. Mostly greed.

This time around it seems the players are getting a lot more fan/media sympathy, and with the KHL being a real option this time around, they may be less likely to cave in time to start this season...
  • in a nut shell from what I understand

the teams with smaller markets or don't make as much need help from the league / other teams

the other teams (rich ones) are putting up a fight (tor, mtl, van, etc) so the league wants to adjust things so that the money is spread around a little better

it has nothing to do with the players really, its mostly alot of politics and alot of money on the line from a business standpoint

I hope to christ there isnt a lock out :(
  • The players lost big last time around. They accepted a 25% salary rollback and the salary cap, among other things. So, what do the owners do? Proceed to give out ridiculous long-term big money contracts again. The situation is entirely of their own making.
  • Rich guys who own teams are squabbling with rich guys who play for said teams over who should get the marginally higher percentage of the bags of money that the League brings in . . . Wake me up when they start playing actual games. I care not one bit over who gets what.