fixing wall damage

I am preparing to paint some walls at home. On the corner where two walls meet it is chipped down the the metal. I put some polyfilla on it but it doesn't seem to adhere to the metal very well. What is the trick to repairing this? Multiple coats of filla or something else?

walldamage.JPG

Comments

• If the space is deep, you will need multiple coats, but ya all you use is drywall compound.
  • use mesh if the mud is just falling thru. drywall tape works too, but i prefer the mesh.

Edit: Wait, is this an inside our outside corner?
  • reibs wrote: »
    use mesh if the mud is just falling thru. drywall tape works too, but i prefer the mesh.

Edit: Wait, is this an inside our outside corner?

I assumed outside when he mentioned the metal. Never saw that on an inside corner.

But ya some mesh, would def help.
  • It's inside, my son's room. I assume something like this was used. So I think just a couple of coatings of drywall compound like Hobbes said

Image Detail for - Installing corner bead, how to install corner bead
    view;_ylt=A0PDodf2rTtQpQ0A033tFAx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fca.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dinstalling%2Bdrywall%2Bcorners%26fr%3Dyfp-t-715-s%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26ri%3D49%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D49&w=360&h=300&imgurl=images.meredith.com%2Fdiy%2Fimages%2F2009%2F02%2Fp_SCDW_100_05.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diyadvice.com%2Fdiy%2Fdrywall%2Ftaping-sanding%2Ftwo-three-way-corners%2F&size=16.3+KB&name=Installing+Two-+and+Three-Way+Corners&p=installing+drywall+corners&oid=82f91c4435efb244baa06b37cfc9ce97&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-715-s&tt=Installing%2BTwo-%2Band%2BThree-Way%2BCorners&b=31&ni=84&no=49&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12ac0ougr&sigb=13vqih0iu&sigi=11odq3gk9&.crumb=90kxwuM87t
  • OK Im confused....

Outside corner = corner bead. Just use mud (two stages if you need to) to "form" a new corner. If the corner bead is damage badly, just remove and replace it, and remud the whole corner

Inside corner = no corner bead. Just throw some mud on there. Easy if you use a corner trowel that is meant for inside corners. Bit tougher without one, but def doable. If the hole is too big, mesh will help bridge the gap.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    I assumed outside when he mentioned the metal. Never saw that on an inside corner.

But ya some mesh, would def help.

hole goes deep enough, metal studs exposed. VOILA! ;)
  • thanks for the tips! It is an outside corner. I just looked at my pic and it's almost optical illusionish didn't notice it the first time
  • Outside corner. Bead exposed. Use drywall mud, two coats, sand, be sure to dust it off. Prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 (stickiest primer as far as I'm concerned) or any drywall primer if you feel like being cheap. Scuff sand primer with 150 grit sand paper, not down to mud, be gentle. Dust, paint, paint. Done.