Deep Stack Tourney Sunday August 26th on the Danforth

Come and enjoy our $60 2 table Deep-Stack tourney this Sunday Aug 26th in cool comfort. Tourney at 4:00pm. 5K starting chips, $10 Dealer Bonus for 2500 extra chips and One Top up for $30 for 5K chips available anytime in the first hour. 12 minute blinds.
RSVP before noon tomorrow to receive a 500 chip bonus.
Latecomers will be seated within the first hour. Danforth avenue between main and woodbine.
Exciting 1-2 NL action to follow. Free Beer, Great Food and an Awesome atmosphere!!
Call or text for details
416-655-9336

Comments

• 12min blinds? Is that correct?
  • Yup, that's correct. It's a 25-25, 25-50, 50-100, 75-150, 100-200, 100-200 ante 25, 150-300 ante 50 and so on format. It's pretty deep stacked as well
  • Yup, that's correct. It's a 25-25, 25-50, 50-100, 75-150, 100-200, 100-200 ante 25, 150-300 ante 50 and so on format. It's pretty deep stacked as well

I do not think that means what you think it does . . .

Please dont advertise live tournaments that have blind structures that are worse than online tournaments. It just makes you look foolish.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm new to hosting tournaments. I've been doing cash games for 4 years and haven't really concentrated on the tournament side. What would be a better structure? Positive feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Lengthen the levels, for one. The way it's set up now, buy the fifth level it is pretty much shove/fold for anyone who has not increased their stack. for $100.00 tourney players are going to want more "play". someone could run the whole "patience factor/skill factor calc, but I am going to guess the current structure would rate somewhere close to B-I-N-G-O. It looks like you are trying to run a tourney that ends quickly, in order to have players for a (raked, I presume) cash game. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but just be up front about it if that is the idea. There is another member who has hosted a Deepstack tourney on a regular basis. Check out STR82ACE'S structure. Blinds are similar, but levels are 30 minutes, IIRC.
  • I'm sure OP wouldn't fancy a tourney that would run for 6+ hrs. I'm pretty sure he's using it as a crowd gatherer for his cash games.

If that's the case, extend the levels to 15min, reduce the buyin to something more affordable, and tweak the blinds to accomadate a 2 hr max game. I think you'll get more players and less bingo fanatics that would stick around for cash afterwards.
  • Thanks for the feedback Milo and Str82ace! I do like the ideas and will go forward with using one of them. The cash game doesn't bother me as I have plenty of room for 4 tables in my place so the cash game can always start on another table. What I'd like to do is get a Good tourney together regardless of time and when the first table breaks we can always start a cash game there. Like I said I've been more of a cash game with freerolls here and there and for freerolls we've always done a turbo (7 min) blind system. Thanks again for the advice. :)
  • If you take STR82ACE's idea of 15 minute blinds and drop the buy-in to a straight $50.00, you will gain two beneficial results. First, your tourney will be more appealing to the "average" player looking for a game that has some playability to it. Second, and probably as important. the people prepared to pay a hundo to play will have the extra $$$ left over for when the cash table opens.

Win-win . . .
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm new to hosting tournaments. I've been doing cash games for 4 years and haven't really concentrated on the tournament side. What would be a better structure? Positive feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I apologize for my earlier post. As mentioned, by others, these tournaments hosted by raked cash game places are usually just to get players in the door for the cash game.

Your blind levels seem decent, just the time needs to be increased. 25-30min blinds would allow a 20 player tourney to last about 7 hours. There is a site that you can use to calculate blinds based on the number of players + how long you want the tourney to last.

PokerSoup.com Poker Tournament Blind Structure Calculator Tool

Look forward to your next tourney.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I apologize for my earlier post. As mentioned, by others, these tournaments hosted by raked cash game places are usually just to get players in the door for the cash game.

Your blind levels seem decent, just the time needs to be increased. 25-30min blinds would allow a 20 player tourney to last about 7 hours. There is a site that you can use to calculate blinds based on the number of players + how long you want the tourney to last.

PokerSoup.com Poker Tournament Blind Structure Calculator Tool

Look forward to your next tourney.

Thanks djgolfcan. No worries. These forums are about helping each other too! :)