GG Sally Ride

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/science/space/sally-ride-trailblazing-astronaut-dies-at-61.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

This is a bit of a shocker. Still fairly young but that pancreatic cancer is one of the worst. RIP

Comments

• Pretty sad to hear.
  • It gets worse . . . her partner of 27 years will be denied "death" benefits that other deceased astronauts have been provided. Pathetic.
  • Milo wrote: »
    It gets worse . . . her partner of 27 years will be denied "death" benefits that other deceased astronauts have been provided. Pathetic.

Wow, that's terrible. Bad enough that her accomplishments aren't discussed with the Apollo astronauts and now this insult to her family.

What's not widely known about her (I only read this since her death) is not only was she the first American is space, but she was also the youngest male or female.
  • Also the only person to serve on the investigative commisions for both shuttle accidents. Her company, Sally Ride Science, was focused on encouraging children's interest in scientific endeavours, and even managed to have a photographic experiment taken into space that involved one of the California classrooms she visited in her spare time.
    It gets worse . . . her partner of 27 years will be denied "death" benefits that other deceased astronauts have been provided. Pathetic.

Agreed.
  • Anybody know where I can pick up a decent metal lathe?
  • After she went into space, I never heard the song "Mustang Sally" the same way again.
  • Until I read the article posted, I had no clue who she was. I will readily admit to not paying attention to her career as I was too busy playing with My Little Ponies and Strawberry Shortcake dolls... I mean, G.I. Joe's and something else manly.

In all seriousness, it is clearly a great loss that she is gone. From the things I've read, she was a class act who looked for the right answers over the easy answers. World needs more of those people.
  • Clearly a woman like this was destroying family values with her lesbianism (where's my font for dripping with angry sarcasm?).
    [Getting off my soapbox now]
    A huge loss. Someone who had such a positive impact and who made ongoing contributions to the betterment of society is a rare thing indeed.
    Anybody know where I can pick up a decent metal lathe?

You're in luck:

Metal Lathe - Kitchener / Waterloo Buy & Sell Items - Kijiji Kitchener / Waterloo